+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: It’s May and the seasons over. We’ve got a new man in charge

It’s May and the seasons over. We’ve got a new man in charge

We are still a championship team with some decent championship players in the squad.

I’ll start off by saying you’re all gonna post opinions, nobody’s right nobody’s wrong (before we have a 5 page slagging off debate and let’s be honest the “Blackwell and jeppo will take over” has been done to death leave it out..)

As a fan what will you be looking for with the next appointments made by the club?
    What sort of manager do you want?
    Do you want a DOF/Sporting director type role to be made?
    Do you want us to make a focus on youth/attempt to improve the academy?
    Do we spend big and try to push our way up again or do we go a different route?

I think the club needs a reshuffle.

Once Warnock leaves I think a move away from his staff would also benefit us long term moving forward, it may not work out short term while we transition but I’m willing to go ahead anyway.

I’d like to see the club install someone as a “Head of recruitment” or whatever they choose to call it, and I’d like them to give us an identity and stick to it. It doesn’t have to be tippy tappy stuff but I think long term if we have a “style” then any changes to HOR or manager are easier to make because we bring someone in that will work to the blueprint set by the club, this way there is a clear path for anyone in the youth set up to make the step up, if they aren’t good enough then they move on to their level, but it beats what we have now where nobody is coming through because we’ve thought short term.

I don’t think we need to spend big year on year but it may help us the first year to have a look at who we’re keeping/moving on to have a tidy budget to bring in the type of players we need to add to the squad to help us change our play style.

Just post your views, no need to ridicule others if they have a different idea of what they want as nobody is wrong.

Re: It’s May and the seasons over. We’ve got a new man in charge

I dont think any new manager dare change our style overnight. We have not got the players to play trippy happy football.
    Having said that, what is wrong with a more direct style. May seem a long time off, but at the start of our promo season we were a brilliant attacking side playing that way. Trippy happy is not Cardiff City style. I am quite happy to play direct, although I agree it would be nice to have a bit more control at times.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I dont think any new manager dare change our style overnight. We have not got the players to play trippy happy football.
    Having said that, what is wrong with a more direct style. May seem a long time off, but at the start of our promo season we were a brilliant attacking side playing that way. Trippy happy is not Cardiff City style. I am quite happy to play direct, although I agree it would be nice to have a bit more control at times.
    Should be tippy tappy! 😛

Which clubs are playing "tippy tappy" football these days?
    The peak of tiki taka was a long time ago

First of all, I wouldn't rule out Neil Warnock saying he wants one more go at another promotion/proving he can succeed in the Premier League come May and, if he does, I think the club should bite the bullet and say no to him. If we get promoted this season, then, to a large extent, the finances will look after themselves and a decent, but not huge amount can be spent on new recruits that would be suited to a less restrictive style of play.

If we don't go up, then I feel it should be noted that many sides doing well this season did not have a huge net spend this summer, but operated cannily in the transfer and loan markets - we'd still have the advantage of another season's worth of parachute payments, so would have an edge over many of our rivals.

Whatever division we're in, in the New Year I would hire somebody with experience of such matters to undertake a feasibility study to identify and cost what would be needed to put us on equal footing with some of the more progressive clubs of a similar size to us and use the parachute payments to finance recommended changes.

My hope would be that, ideally, this would include a more professional and more informed recruitment operation, a category 1 Academy which has a purpose (there's no point having one at the moment), a move towards fielding a younger, more energetic side geared towards increasing the likelihood of us breaking even, at the very least, in our transfer dealings through higher fees for outgoing players. This team should play in a style which dispels any lingering doubts that the top clubs are reluctant to loan some of their better young prospects to Cardiff for fear that the way we play would be detrimental to their development as players.

As for a manager, I would be happy with anyone who genuinely was prepared to come here and work really at implementing and working within the criteria set out by the changes to be implemented next summer.

It feels like a Russel Slade season and has felt like that since August.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    First of all, I wouldn't rule out Neil Warnock saying he wants one more go at another promotion/proving he can succeed in the Premier League come May and, if he does, I think the club should bite the bullet and say no to him. If we get promoted this season, then, to a large extent, the finances will look after themselves and a decent, but not huge amount can be spent on new recruits that would be suited to a less restrictive style of play.

If we don't go up, then I feel it should be noted that many sides doing well this season did not have a huge net spend this summer, but operated cannily in the transfer and loan markets - we'd still have the advantage of another season's worth of parachute payments, so would have an edge over many of our rivals.

Whatever division we're in, in the New Year I would hire somebody with experience of such matters to undertake a feasibility study to identify and cost what would be needed to put us on equal footing with some of the more progressive clubs of a similar size to us and use the parachute payments to finance recommended changes.

My hope would be that, ideally, this would include a more professional and more informed recruitment operation, a category 1 Academy which has a purpose (there's no point having one at the moment), a move towards fielding a younger, more energetic side geared towards increasing the likelihood of us breaking even, at the very least, in our transfer dealings through higher fees for outgoing players. This team should play in a style which dispels any lingering doubts that the top clubs are reluctant to loan some of their better young prospects to Cardiff for fear that the way we play would be detrimental to their development as players.

As for a manager, I would be happy with anyone who genuinely was prepared to come here and work really at implementing and working within the criteria set out by the changes to be implemented next summer.
    I would be in favor of a DOF looking after budgets, recruiting and developing a clear strategy that brings the academy up several notches. As a manager/coach to work with above I would like to see an ex player who has played at the top level, learning from top managers and more importantly, someone who can encourage players to come to Cardiff.
    A few years ago I was constantly posting that Speed would be a great manager for us at the end of his playing career.
    Whatever direction we take, offering Warnock an extension, or appointing Blackwell/Jepson (or Bamba) is a backwards move.
    The decision must be centered around a 3-5 year plan, not who can squeeze out a promotion and go up with a team that cannot compete.

As long as it's not Warnock as DOF. We need an approach like Norwich have, reading the write up on their Head of Recruitment. And we need to ship out the out of contract players, and underpeformers. That would make some space for new signings. So out, for me, would go Day, Richards, Connolly, Bamba, Bacuna, Tomlin, Mendez-Laing, Bogle, Madine, Ward, Glatzel, Cunningham, Vassell and Vaulks. About 7 of those are out of contract next summer but we'd struggle to move on the others. There's £26m of fees tied up in those players, I doubt if we'd get £8m back on them?

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I would be in favor of a DOF looking after budgets, recruiting and developing a clear strategy that brings the academy up several notches. As a manager/coach to work with above I would like to see an ex player who has played at the top level, learning from top managers and more importantly, someone who can encourage players to come to Cardiff.
    A few years ago I was constantly posting that Speed would be a great manager for us at the end of his playing career.
    Whatever direction we take, offering Warnock an extension, or appointing Blackwell/Jepson (or Bamba) is a backwards move.
    The decision must be centered around a 3-5 year plan, not who can squeeze out a promotion and go up with a team that cannot compete.
    Bellamy?

When all is said and done it will have been a wasted year, and it will take us at least another two seasons to recover from it.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Bellamy?
    Reading the club statement on another thread , I don’t think he’ll be back ?

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Reading the club statement on another thread , I don’t think he’ll be back ?
    You have a link please? He seemed to be doing ok here.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    You have a link please? He seemed to be doing ok here.
    http://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php...ng-allegations

Crikey you leave the board for 3 hours and it’s all going on when you come back.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Bellamy?
    I would have agreed but after the release of the bullying report I don’t think he will be coming back soon.

For some time now I think the club has decided this season is a settling one, after a very eventful and at items emotional stay in the premiership , it should be remembered for its many ups and down's , injuries ,decisions , transfer failures and even deaths ,and I think its been dragged into this season .

The club feel probably felt duty bound to the players and the manager who came down and hey nearly survived , some of whom are now getting to an age that will not give them enough in them for another run in the Premiership or even promotion , In my humble view the club know it ,as does the players, it would have been foolish to get rid of many more of last years players in a rush, even knowing they are probably they are now over the hill for that bigger league.

It might explain the caution in the transfer league, in as much it seems we bought and retained on the basis of having a steady season , if we had spend a lot more that would have created a potential financial headache if a new man comes in for next year .as he would want backing

Its only a gut feeling, but that is how I see this year, steady as we go , unlikely to repeat the last promotion push,and is some ways you can see that in how the players are performing , it appears they don't have the same self belief, as they did two years ago. ???

Not sure about a DOF as that might go to Neil ??

We need a young dynamic manager who brings change , he but must be financed , I'd go for Stephen Gerrard who is allegedly on 7.28 million , nothing in this crazy world of money to a football club

I think we need a good clear out. All of Warnock's staff can go.

First of all we need a Director of Football or something similar, someone who has excellent contacts in the UK and further afield. We arguably haven't had someone with as many contacts since Ridsdale left. Someone who knows football inside and out, who can guide our board. That person can be responsible for setting up a scouting network, set up a new transfer committee and look at our overall youth development strategy and make goals for bringing in young talent and getting them ready for first team football. That person also helps need to set up a whole club ethos, so everyone at the club pulls together in the same direction. This will guide our managerial and player signings.

First season without Warnock will be to get the players used to passing a football. If we went down, it wouldn't be the end of the world, it would be a part of the clearing and rebuilding process, one other sides in our position have used to positive effect (thinking Norwich, Leicester, Southampton). I'm not necessarily advocating we turn into a tippy-tappy side, but a side that plays attractive football where a bit of patience is sometimes needed. This is essential if we are looking to get into the Premier League and stay there.

This may take several seasons. We might find the ideal manager who takes us up at the first time of asking. There's always a bit of a lottery with any new managerial appoinment. Dave Jones was the last manager to be given time to get us promotion and we need to afford some time, unless the new guy is a complete dud. The board needs to lose some of its short-termism.

I wonder if the tie up with Sporting Lisbon that was reported 6 weeks ago is real and will play into this discussion?