+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Whittingham EFL Legend

Whittingham EFL Legend

Re: Whittingham EFL Legend

That goal against Barnsley one of the best ive seen in all football.

Shame really didnt have the chance at the top.level at his.peak.

Also.how his career ended he still had more to give. His delivery was so good by Blackburn not using him for that took away so much.

An absolute class act.

And I ,would say our best player over the last decade by a country mile

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post

If he’d had pace he would have been in the premier league much more than he was.

Will probably end up my favourite city player of all time

Great player, stunning goals, that free kick away to Leicester in the play offs was genius ( especially after he moved the ball in a little to give him a better chance of getting it in on the near post), never looked like missing from the penalty spot and a very loyal servant to the club, certainly up there as one of the best players at the club in the more recent times

Shame about the reminder of that awful red kit in some of the clips though!

Also.how his career ended he still had more to give.
    No he didn't. He was shot.

He divided opinion during his first couple of seasons with us, then scored 25 goals in one season, scored spectacular goals from anywhere and was one of the best in the business. Malky tried turning him into a hard working centre midfielder and he probably wasn't the same.

When we won promotion in 2012/13, there were cries from City fans to rest him in the run in as he wasn't being effective. He did get a rest at the end of the season. He was average in the Premier League and didn't live up to his previous brilliance in the Championship after we were relegated.

He was a regular under Slade, yet once Warnock took over, his game time became far more limited, starting only 8 of our last 23 games that season. He divided opinion once more, where some felt his ability with set pieces outweighed his limited ability in centre midfield, where his passing was slow, tackling was feeble and his running and movement almost non-existent. His legs had gone. It was sad to see a legend like Whitts reduced to being a corner taker.

At Blackburn he failed to make much of an early impact and faded into retirement. Warnock got the Whittingham situation spot on. He wasn't missed when he left for Rovers. In fact, we scored more goals from set pieces after Whitts left.

We're best off remembering Whitts during the Dave Jones years, when he was incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

He divided opinion during his first couple of seasons with us, then scored 25 goals in one season, scored spectacular goals from anywhere and was one of the best in the business. Malky tried turning him into a hard working centre midfielder and he probably wasn't the same.

When we won promotion in 2012/13, there were cries from City fans to rest him in the run in as he wasn't being effective. He did get a rest at the end of the season. He was average in the Premier League and didn't live up to his previous brilliance in the Championship after we were relegated.

He was a regular under Slade, yet once Warnock took over, his game time became far more limited, starting only 8 of our last 23 games that season. He divided opinion once more, where some felt his ability with set pieces outweighed his limited ability in centre midfield, where his passing was slow, tackling was feeble and his running and movement almost non-existent. His legs had gone. It was sad to see a legend like Whitts reduced to being a corner taker.

At Blackburn he failed to make much of an early impact and faded into retirement. Warnock got the Whittingham situation spot on. He wasn't missed when he left for Rovers. In fact, we scored more goals from set pieces after Whitts left.

We're best off remembering Whitts during the Dave Jones years, when he was incredible.
    Can't argue with any of that.
    It was sad to see him struggle in the latter seasons but he had already provided me with some of my best memories watching the City and Whitts deserves his place as a City legend.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Can't argue with any of that.
    It was sad to see him struggle in the latter seasons but he had already provided me with some of my best memories watching the City and Whitts deserves his place as a City legend.
    More incredible is that there were so many amazing memories from a relatively short period of time. He almost carried us as a team from time to time. I was never the greatest fan of Jones but he got Whitts spot on and Whittingham's legend is solely down to Dave Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    If he’d had pace he would have been in the premier league much more than he was.
    Agreed, but if he’d had pace he wouldn’t have played for us in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Plenty of pace in his own head. Very few sharper players in his day.

Incredible player. Sublime skills and very loyal.

Has to be one of the greatest City players in the last 40 years.

That free kick against Leicester had such incredible vision and was executed to absolute perfection. It has to be one of the best free kicks I've witnessed.

Thanks Whitts, for such amazing memories 👏👏👏👏👏

That goal against Barnsley one of the best ive seen in all football.

Also.how his career ended he still had more to give. His delivery was so good by Blackburn not using him for that took away so much.
    The Barnsley goal was something else entirely. Best goal I've seen with my own eyes.

My recollection is different to yours. I agree about his early years with the club and his time when Dave Jones was manager, but I can remember thinking that he was a real contender for best player in the Championship during Malky Mackay's first season here when he was converted into a central midfielder - in particular, he was very good in the latter rounds of our run to the League Cup Final.

Whitts was also playing to his usual standard for much of the Championship winning season, but his form fell away in the last couple of months or so of 12/13 and he was never quite the same player after that.

Still, there was an awful lot to admire in his final seasons with us. For example, I can remember a goal against Forest in Russell Slade's first home game in charge and another when we beat Brighton 4-1 which people would have been raving about if they were scored by anyone else, but, because it was Whitts, they were just accepted with the same sort of shrug of the shoulders he'd show after he scored a stunner - a true City great who, even in the most miserable games, would come up with something to get you purring with admiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Plenty of pace in his own head. Very few sharper players in his day.
    I agree with both of these, I've always said that if he had pace Villa wouldn't have let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My recollection is different to yours. I agree about his early years with the club and his time when Dave Jones was manager, but I can remember thinking that he was a real contender for best player in the Championship during Malky Mackay's first season here when he was converted into a central midfielder - in particular, he was very good in the latter rounds of our run to the League Cup Final.

Whitts was also playing to his usual standard for much of the Championship winning season, but his form fell away in the last couple of months or so of 12/13 and he was never quite the same player after that.

Still, there was an awful lot to admire in his final seasons with us. For example, I can remember a goal against Forest in Russell Slade's first home game in charge and another when we beat Brighton 4-1 which people would have been raving about if they were scored by anyone else, but, because it was Whitts, they were just accepted with the same sort of shrug of the shoulders he'd show after he scored a stunner - a true City great who, even in the most miserable games, would come up with something to get you purring with admiration.
    Absolutely, I'd class anyone who is in the top ten of either the top appearance makers or goalscorers in the club's history as a legend - he's in both.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I think we're singing from a similar hymn sheet. Agreed about his first season with Malky.

Yes, he had moments in his final seasons, but he wasn't the player we had before promotion. Those moments that we'd almost begun to expect had significantly dried up. The spark that made him stand out wasn't quite there. It was that spark that was the difference between good midfielder and legend.

That goal at Boro as well. What a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    That goal at Boro as well. What a legend.
    Just thinking of that one, makes me misty eyed, absolute stunner. His hat trick at Bramall Lane also stands out, 4-3 win and their last second ‘equaliser’ disallowed, wonderful!!

Pure class. What a player. Strange that he didn't/couldn't play at a higher level. What was it?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Pure class. What a player. Strange that he didn't/couldn't play at a higher level. What was it?
    The standard of the water here, loved his cup of tea did Whitts.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The standard of the water here, loved his cup of tea did Whitts.
    I've heard he liked a night out. Surprised me.

Can you imagine the excitement if we’d not heard of Whitts but were about to sign him and somebody posted this video of his best bits.

There may be players we’ve had who went on to be better than him (Ramsey obviously) but in respect of when they were playing for Cardiff City, he is by a country mile the best player I’ve seen wear our shirt