Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
I am paying more attention to that league after watching the Fort William documentary - I see they're last but one this season on the back of winning one of their eleven games. As to why there is such a wide gap between teams in the Highland League, I am right in thinking there's no relegation aren't I?

I agree with you, while a team like Man City have it in them to score a hatful on a fairly regular basis, I'd say it's as hard as its ever been to win big in the top flight, while there's only been one instance of a side scoring more than 4 (Preston 5 Barnsley 1) in the Championship so far this season.
Yes, there's no relegation. That's a good point. There are leagues below both the Highland and Lowland leagues - all amateur. Trying to understand the Scottish football pyramid is roughly equivalent to PhD rocket science or understanding how women work.

As for Fort William, the perennial whipping boys, they've got a huge match this afternoon - a cup replay against the mighty Albion Rovers after a 1-1 draw away from home. Club are billing it as their biggest match in their history. The prize is a 3rd round tie at home to Airdrieonians. It's only the 2nd time they've got to the 2nd round of the cup. On the back of a solitary league win, they've also managed 3 other wins in the cup, scoring 5 in each. The 8 or 9 kids brought in from Inver Caley Thistle have made a big difference. Whether that will equate to raising standards among the local players, who knows?