+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soton v Leicester. VAR and goals, goals goals goals

Re: Soton v Leicester. VAR and goals, goals goals goals

And Leicester have a pen in the last minute

Just got a mention for losing 9-1 to Wolves in 1955. "At Ninian Park".

9-0

FT 0 - 9.

Jeezus

As they say over here: "A shellacking".

Vardy, what a find.

9 ducking nil, thats maddness , imagine being
    a home fan with a long journey home , bet yer Pompey fans are having a giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    FT 0 - 9.

Jeezus
    Wish this happened a year earlier!
    Southampton are doomed on that showing.

Hopefully it sets a precedent that away teams give home teams a smashing all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Hopefully it sets a precedent that away teams give home teams a smashing all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    7-0 Jesus!
    Didn't realise Man City had sold him?

A word on Leicester though, they look superb.
    I thought Rogers got lucky at Swansea, almost taking credit for the job that Martínez did.
    He did well at Liverpool, better than most at Celtic but Leicester look the real deal at the moment.
    He’s turned out to be a very good manager.

Loved the Saints fans singing "We're coming for you,
    Manchester City, we're coming for you"

(To make any sense of this, Saints next play away at Man City )

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Loved the Saints fans singing "We're coming for you,
    Manchester City, we're coming for you"

(To make any sense of this, Saints next play away at Man City )
    Brilliant

I heard it but thought it was the Leicester fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Wrecked it Ralph

He can't surive this, Shirley
    I may be wrong, but I thought Ralph Hasenhüttl was highly regarded by Southampton fans (they were going down last season until he arrived), but, perhaps more than with any other manager in recent years, I think there's a chance now that the whole perception of him among Saints fans will have changed on the back of one game.

As someone who has always gained a nerdish fascination from studying results from the four divisions on a weekend, I can't ever remember a 0-9 scoreline in the fifty plus years I've been doing this - against ten men or not, it's an incredible result and , for me, it was at least as much to do with Leicester being excellent as it did with Southampton being awful.

Much joy in the streets of Ipswich today!

Their record matched - and by a home team.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I may be wrong, but I thought Ralph Hasenhüttl was highly regarded by Southampton fans (they were going down last season until he arrived), but, perhaps more than with any other manager in recent years, I think there's a chance now that the whole perception of him among Saints fans will have changed on the back of one game.

As someone who has always gained a nerdish fascination from studying results from the four divisions on a weekend, I can't ever remember a 0-9 scoreline in the fifty plus years I've been doing this - against ten men or not, it's an incredible result and , for me, it was at least as much to do with Leicester being excellent as it did with Southampton being awful.
    You should try keeping abreast with Highland league results, where there are around 4 games a season where the away team has netted 9 or more, albeit most of those have been against the same team. There are probably 3 times as many games where the home team has scored 9 or more.

It does make me wonder why there would be such a gap within the same division. I noticed last season that one team managed to win 12-1 at home but also lost 9-0 at home. Teams netting 7 and 8 are even more commonplace. Surprise results are very rare.

I think that's why Leicester's win is all the more remarkable. It happens in a division that is professional, where teams at the bottom can pinch wins against the title chasers, where 5 goals is a rarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You should try keeping abreast with Highland league results, where there are around 4 games a season where the away team has netted 9 or more, albeit most of those have been against the same team. There are probably 3 times as many games where the home team has scored 9 or more.

It does make me wonder why there would be such a gap within the same division. I noticed last season that one team managed to win 12-1 at home but also lost 9-0 at home. Teams netting 7 and 8 are even more commonplace. Surprise results are very rare.

I think that's why Leicester's win is all the more remarkable. It happens in a division that is professional, where teams at the bottom can pinch wins against the title chasers, where 5 goals is a rarity.
    I am paying more attention to that league after watching the Fort William documentary - I see they're last but one this season on the back of winning one of their eleven games. As to why there is such a wide gap between teams in the Highland League, I am right in thinking there's no relegation aren't I?

I agree with you, while a team like Man City have it in them to score a hatful on a fairly regular basis, I'd say it's as hard as its ever been to win big in the top flight, while there's only been one instance of a side scoring more than 4 (Preston 5 Barnsley 1) in the Championship so far this season.

Not exactly 0-9, but I remember City losing to Wolves at Ninian Park about 1954 1-9.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Not exactly 0-9, but I remember City losing to Wolves at Ninian Park about 1954 1-9.
    My mum's dislike of Billy Wright stemmed from that game. She was stood in the old enclosure terrace and she saw Wright going around his team asking them for more during a break in play when they were about seven goals up - she said he should have felt sorry for us!

I am paying more attention to that league after watching the Fort William documentary - I see they're last but one this season on the back of winning one of their eleven games. As to why there is such a wide gap between teams in the Highland League, I am right in thinking there's no relegation aren't I?

I agree with you, while a team like Man City have it in them to score a hatful on a fairly regular basis, I'd say it's as hard as its ever been to win big in the top flight, while there's only been one instance of a side scoring more than 4 (Preston 5 Barnsley 1) in the Championship so far this season.
    Yes, there's no relegation. That's a good point. There are leagues below both the Highland and Lowland leagues - all amateur. Trying to understand the Scottish football pyramid is roughly equivalent to PhD rocket science or understanding how women work.

As for Fort William, the perennial whipping boys, they've got a huge match this afternoon - a cup replay against the mighty Albion Rovers after a 1-1 draw away from home. Club are billing it as their biggest match in their history. The prize is a 3rd round tie at home to Airdrieonians. It's only the 2nd time they've got to the 2nd round of the cup. On the back of a solitary league win, they've also managed 3 other wins in the cup, scoring 5 in each. The 8 or 9 kids brought in from Inver Caley Thistle have made a big difference. Whether that will equate to raising standards among the local players, who knows?

Cardiff City 1-9 Wolves. I was there,it was 0-8 before city scored and 0-5 at half time.1955/56 season i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
    Cardiff City 1-9 Wolves. I was there,it was 0-8 before city scored and 0-5 at half time.1955/56 season i think.
    It was mentioned on the TV coverage over here yesterday. Not sure why. Obviously there's Man U/Ipswich and I can remember Liverpool beating Palace 9-0 in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
    One of the amazing things about that was three months later we won the return at Molyneux 2-0 with very few changes to the teams line-ups.

It was mentioned on the TV coverage over here yesterday. Not sure why. Obviously there's Man U/Ipswich and I can remember Liverpool beating Palace 9-0 in the 80s.
    Was it the last time a team scored 9 goals away from home in the top flight?
    Without looking I assume it was an old Div 1 game.

Horror tackle? It was a yellow for me. Very harsh.
    His foot goes over the ball. It’s not a horror tackle by any means, but as his foot goes over the ball he’s not in control of himself or whatever the rule is these days...