+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Why 4-4-2 today?

Why 4-4-2 today?

For many years, the jacks have played 4-5-1, with pace (usually Dyer and Routledge) out wide.
    Today, of all days, we decide to set up 4-4-2.....why?
    We were completely overrun in midfield, the the 2 ‘strikers’ never got involved at all.
    I’d love to know what the tactics were supposed to be.

Re: Why 4-4-2 today?

Nobody knows

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    For many years, the jacks have played 4-5-1, with pace (usually Dyer and Routledge) out wide.
    Today, of all days, we decide to set up 4-4-2.....why?
    We were completely overrun in midfield, the the 2 ‘strikers’ never got involved at all.
    I’d love to know what the tactics were supposed to be.
    According to Warnock it was because both Tomlin and Hoilett were injured.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    According to Warnock it was because both Tomlin and Hoilett were injured.
    Had the choice of putting Bacuna or Patterson in midfield and keeping usual shape or bringing an extra forward in to try and stop Swansea passing from the back and supposedly put pressure on their centre backs. Funnily enough, just like Reading away in the 2nd half it didn't work. At least we were two down then but god knows why Warnock and the team thought it could work today. Glatzel received a lot of deserved stick but playing Danny Ward as a 2nd striker seemed to suck all the confidence out of someone who had at least scored a few when playing up top.

Blame the players for their performance but the management team let us down with selection, tactics and formation.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Had the choice of putting Bacuna or Patterson in midfield and keeping usual shape or bringing an extra forward in to try and stop Swansea passing from the back and supposedly put pressure on their centre backs. Funnily enough, just like Reading away in the 2nd half it didn't work. At least we were two down then but god knows why Warnock and the team thought it could work today. Glatzel received a lot of deserved stick but playing Danny Ward as a 2nd striker seemed to suck all the confidence out of someone who had at least scored a few when playing up top.

Blame the players for their performance but the management team let us down with selection, tactics and formation.
    I thought it did work for 20 minutes until their goal. We seemed to have taken the sting out of them, and whilst not creating a lot, seemed fairly in control and actually were pushed up fairly high. It all changed after the goal and we went to pieces and let them dictate the game.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post

Think Danny Ward should be on his own or not at all

Did we play 4-4-2? I saw so little of Danny Ward that it was hard to tell for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Did we play 4-4-2? I saw so little of Danny Ward that it was hard to tell for sure.
    I said as much in another thread, at half time we were thinking that Bogle or even Paterson would replace him what I find hard to understand is if the vast majority of fans watching can see it isn't working, why couldn't Warnock and his team????