Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
did you lot do the double over us when (and only because) slade was our manager? This season feels a bit like that to me.

Actually, good that you are here. Obviously you've never threatened to get promoted so have been stuck in this division for long enough to be able to offer some insight here. Is the championship just a bit crap this season? there is normally at least one side that looks decent but this season it's just a sea of mediocrity. Reading looked good against us (who doesn't?) but are hovering above relegation; the teams on form at the moment are in the bottom half and other than West Brom who I think won 4 on the bounce, nobody seems interested in going on a run. It's there for the taking, but nobody is good enough to do it. Worst standard you have seen?
I can’t remember us doing the double over Cardiff City, actually I can’t recall it ever.
We’ve won a few encounters at Ashton Gate but can’t remember us winning at Cardiff.

I take your swipe at us being nowhere near promotion to one side.... I don’t think we’ve been in the Championship that long to be honest but I guess it’s all relative.

I learned recently that with the resignation of Neil Harris, Johnson is now the longest serving Championship manager and he joined us in our first season back....

Your point though on this being a league without an obvious contender is true.
In the summer when Steve Lansdown was asked about the signings we were making (Massengo, Kalas, Nagy, DaSilva etc) he made the point that they felt this was the year when there was all to play for.

The biggish boys who had come down had run out of parachute payments (Boro and WBA). Leeds selling Janssen to Brentford, Villa had gone up....
Then of the three coming down (yourselves, Huddersfield and Fulham) - nobody struck you as going to bounce straight back up with ease like a Newcastle.

So I think you’re right, this is the most even Championship I think I’ve seen.

Take the fact as well we had played awful for 75 mins v Charlton and Wigan and got 4 points from 6....

I sit here in a Sheffield hotel bar hoping to see us go top tonight in Barnsley... Says much.

Still expect to lose in Cardiff mind.