+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost enthusiasm for the season?

Lost enthusiasm for the season?

Reading lots of comments on here and it makes me wonder how many have almost given up on this season?

For me, despite lots of bad defeats, last season was gripping entertainment, wondering if we could somehow stay up. When we were finally condemned, winning at Old Trafford against a Man Utd side that was already on holiday was like putting a cherry on a lump of dog shit.

I barely had any optimism at the start of the season although many were suggesting we could make the playoffs at least. Now that a top 6 finish seems fanciful at best and the football is garbage, has anyone lost their enthusiasm for the rest of the season? I'll be there as usual for most home games but can't say there's any excitement about the season at all.

Re: Lost enthusiasm for the season?

Gave up weeks ago - might come back if the manager is replaced

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Reading lots of comments on here and it makes me wonder how many have almost given up on this season?

For me, despite lots of bad defeats, last season was gripping entertainment, wondering if we could somehow stay up. When we were finally condemned, winning at Old Trafford against a Man Utd side that was already on holiday was like putting a cherry on a lump of dog shit.

I barely had any optimism at the start of the season although many were suggesting we could make the playoffs at least. Now that a top 6 finish seems fanciful at best and the football is garbage, has anyone lost their enthusiasm for the rest of the season? I'll be there as usual for most home games but can't say there's any excitement about the season at all.
    I think performances like Sunday do not help.

The players treated the derby as though it was another game and in general seem to show very little effort.
    They seem fed up with the style of setting up not to get beat as much as the fans.

We don't seem capable of challenging for promotion and won't get relegated.

It is precisely why I think the club should move now for a new manager.
    Given the noise they made about not even considering it until at least Christmas then I can't see anything happening any time soon sadly.

Sticking with Warnock any longer achieves nothing for me.
    In fact it makes things more and more difficult for the new man coming in and that gets worse the longer he stays.

To think the man who has wasted money on players that do not improve the team and he refuses to play might get another transfer window depresses me even more.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I think performances like Sunday do not help.

The players treated the derby as though it was another game and in general seem to show very little effort.
    They seem fed up with the style of setting up not to get beat as much as the fans.

We don't seem capable of challenging for promotion and won't get relegated.

It is precisely why I think the club should move now for a new manager.
    Given the noise they made about not even considering it until at least Christmas then I can't see anything happening any time soon sadly.

Sticking with Warnock any longer achieves nothing for me.
    In fact it makes things more and more difficult for the new man coming in and that gets worse the longer he stays.

To think the man who has wasted money on players that do not improve the team and he refuses to play might get another transfer window depresses me even more.
    We are going to be in serious trouble if we stop winning at home.

More or less gave up after the summer transfer window

I have done 6 of the 7 away games and season ticket at home travelling from Berkshire and I have found this season attritional and unrewarding for the amount of travel involved. It's good to see friends and family but the football has been awful. Even in the Premier League there was usually cameos by Camarasa, Manga at centre half and the odd bits from Murphy, Reid and Patterson to balance out the hammerings we took from Liverpool, Man City and Tottenham.

To be honest it was a relief to go to Slovakia and then the Croatia game. Giggs for all his warts at least puts a team on the park that tries to play modern football where players are comfortable in possession.

I will keep on going but without that buzz of anticipation you get for a game when you can't wait for your team to come out of the tunnel.

Following record season ticket sales we produce a brand of football that belongs over Roath Park.
    It really is frightening how quickly Warnock (and the club) have fecked this up.

Ill be honest, im even less enthusiastic now than I was under Slade and he eroded all the joy out of watching Cardiff City.

Slade always gave the impression he couldnt believe his luck he was managing at this level, but with Warnock the football is just as bad, if not worse, yet he has somehow got into a position where its the club and the fans who should be eternally grateful to him even though the football on show is utter garbage. I suppose that comes with 40 years experience but finally people are starting to wake up to the bollocks he spouts to deflect criticism.

Sundays post match interview where he thought our fans were louder than theirs. Is that the best you have to offer, Neil? After that performance? Really?

Not at all

We are conceding stupid goals - hopefully this will stop when Bamba is put back in and Flint is re rooted in the forest he came from

Tomlin looks like he's beginning to remember he's a footballer and Hoillet was showing good form. Danny Ward can score goals.

OK we are not going up or challenging for the play offs but I'm not going to sulk about it. I don't go just to see us win (though it does help!! ) - there's a hell of a lot more to football than that as you all well know.

I've been going for 45 years - I've had plenty of meh seasons - I guess this is another one (though I still cling to hope)

The major frustration is the amount of money spunked on absolute averageness which will haunt Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Following record season ticket sales we produce a brand of football that belongs over Roath Park.
    In fairness, if we had football goals either side of Roath Park lake and used the lake as a pitch, we wouldn't lose any balls in the water.

In fairness, if we had football goals either side of Roath Park lake and used the lake as a pitch, we wouldn't lose any balls in the water.
    I generally read rather than post but this cracked me up!

Only if you told Etheridge to put his kicks into the water

Was Sunday’s game a watershed? Something that needed to happen perhaps? The club cannot fail to notice the rumblings of discontent, if we’d have snatched a point if Whyte’s shot had gone in and not rebounded off their ‘keeper’s bollocks would every in the garden be rosy in the corridors of power? Surely questions must be being asked at boardroom level or is Warnock completely bulletproof?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    We are going to be in serious trouble if we stop winning at home.
    What if we start winning away as well?

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    Not at all

We are conceding stupid goals - hopefully this will stop when Bamba is put back in and Flint is re rooted in the forest he came from

Tomlin looks like he's beginning to remember he's a footballer and Hoillet was showing good form. Danny Ward can score goals.

OK we are not going up or challenging for the play offs but I'm not going to sulk about it. I don't go just to see us win (though it does help!! ) - there's a hell of a lot more to football than that as you all well know.

I've been going for 45 years - I've had plenty of meh seasons - I guess this is another one (though I still cling to hope)

The major frustration is the amount of money spunked on absolute averageness which will haunt Neil.
    Agree with this and i know it sounds stupid but if we can concede a few less and score a few more we can be right up there. Theres team who have come.from.much further back a lot later in the season and reached play off.

It is disappointing as league doesnt look strong this year either.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Agree with this and i know it sounds stupid but if we can concede a few less and score a few more we can be right up there. Theres team who have come.from.much further back a lot later in the season and reached play off.

It is disappointing as league doesnt look strong this year either.
    Well, we averaged over two goals a game conceded away before the Jacks' game so only leaking one is a step in the right direction when you put it like that

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Well, we averaged over two goals a game conceded away before the Jacks' game so only leaking one is a step in the right direction when you put it like that
    It doesn’t look likely at the moment, though and as the OP says, it’s the complete lack of entertainment on offer that is what is galling.
    When you think that Huddersfield would have been “eternally grateful” to Wagner for getting them promoted and yet sentiment was cast aside last January when they let him go when things looked bad, it makes me wonder what our manager has that he didn’t have in order to stay manager of Cardiff City.
    Personally, I think he lucked out a bit with promotion in the first place (it was stated at the time that it came as a surprise) and if he hadn’t achieved that, would people have put up with this brand of football for as long as they have?

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    What if we start winning away as well?
    That's not going to happen. We've played 8 away matches and 5 of them were against teams currently below us in the league table. We've still got to play away from home against 10 of the current top 12.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Ill be honest, im even less enthusiastic now than I was under Slade and he eroded all the joy out of watching Cardiff City.

Slade always gave the impression he couldnt believe his luck he was managing at this level, but with Warnock the football is just as bad, if not worse, yet he has somehow got into a position where its the club and the fans who should be eternally grateful to him even though the football on show is utter garbage. I suppose that comes with 40 years experience but finally people are starting to wake up to the bollocks he spouts to deflect criticism.

Sundays post match interview where he thought our fans were louder than theirs. Is that the best you have to offer, Neil? After that performance? Really?
    Spot on.

The way things are at the moment I have lost hope of us doing anything like getting in to the Play Offs. In fact I am more worried that we may slump and end down the bottom, unless we get a new manager and some new players. but we have a big squad , loaded with expensive players we won't be able to unload, and expensive players Warnock won't play.

I always say that 14/15 (the season after relegation first time around) is the dullest by a mile in recent seasons, but, thinking back, we had managed some good home performances by the of October then and, although 14/15 got worse as the months went by, I'd say that the first third of this season has been duller than the first third of 14/15 was.

Is this just because the football is duller or is there also a feeling from supporters that they should be getting something better because of the club's situation? For me, it is definitely a bit of the latter, but I would argue that, having received the huge boost to the club's finances promotion brings on a couple of occasions now, it is reasonable for us to expect better from the manager, team and club now both in terms of results and the level of performance from the players.

I completely disagree with the suggestion in this thread that registering your dissatisfaction with the situation in some way is sulking - it's perfectly reasonable in my book to feel deflated after many of our recent games. We were promised a "right go" at promotion, does anyone believe that is what we're getting - it's little wonder people are losing enthusiasm, from memory, season ticket sales fell by something like 30 per cent for 15/16 and we're heading for more of the same for 20/21.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Was Sunday’s game a watershed? Something that needed to happen perhaps? The club cannot fail to notice the rumblings of discontent, if we’d have snatched a point if Whyte’s shot had gone in and not rebounded off their ‘keeper’s bollocks would every in the garden be rosy in the corridors of power? Surely questions must be being asked at boardroom level or is Warnock completely bulletproof?
    I think you are right. Things are pretty raw at the moment.Trouble is if you make a hasty decision it could be matters will get worse Neil Warnock is no fool and I am sure he has come up against this situation before.He has earned the chance to sort things out.You dont have the track record that he has without having the ability to get through the difficult times.I feel as frustrated as anyone but i also think that Neil Warnock is as capable as anyone to sort things out.
    Any young manager coming in now would be a huge risk. The last one almost got us relegated and OLE actually did so whats the answer. Stick with Neil and show some loyalty

Football's a funny old game. We're currently that poor it would be almost impossible to play any worse. Enthusiasm has given way to a sort of gallows humour. One thing that I'm pretty sure about however is that our usually tolerant fans will be quick to show their dissaproval should Saturday be more of the same..

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I always say that 14/15 (the season after relegation first time around) is the dullest by a mile in recent seasons, but, thinking back, we had managed some good home performances by the of October then and, although 14/15 got worse as the months went by, I'd say that the first third of this season has been duller than the first third of 14/15 was.

Is this just because the football is duller or is there also a feeling from supporters that they should be getting something better because of the club's situation? For me, it is definitely a bit of the latter, but I would argue that, having received the huge boost to the club's finances promotion brings on a couple of occasions now, it is reasonable for us to expect better from the manager, team and club now both in terms of results and the level of performance from the players.

I completely disagree with the suggestion in this thread that registering your dissatisfaction with the situation in some way is sulking - it's perfectly reasonable in my book to feel deflated after many of our recent games. We were promised a "right go" at promotion, does anyone believe that is what we're getting - it's little wonder people are losing enthusiasm, from memory, season ticket sales fell by something like 30 per cent for 15/16 and we're heading for more of the same for 20/21.
    The biggest problem for me is the style of football we play, or lack of. Warnock sets out like that because he has absolutely zero belief in taking teams on or allowing players to be creative in the right areas. Long balls from the back and hopeful crosses to nobody is about as good as it gets, Midfield players having zero options. All that Warnock relies on is his wingers, if that doesn't work then there is nothing. Fans should feel insulted by what Warnock is producing. People talk about it being akin to 80's football, it isn't, it has a category of it's own and it doesn't belong at our club

You take the bad days and the good days the rough and the smooth thats what it is to be proper football supporter.
    If you want never ending glory become a plastic fan, and remember always look on ther bright side of live
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo