+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dresden taking 35,000 away fans to Berlin

Dresden taking 35,000 away fans to Berlin

Dynamo Dresden taking 35,000 away fans to a cup game at Hertha Berlin this evening.

Ridiculous numbers. They've done something similar to 1860 Munich previously when they ground shared at Allianz Arena.

Has this ever been even close to being matched in the British game? I'm not talking cup finals or Rangers or Celtic turning up to cities on the lash en masse either really.

Re: Dresden taking 35,000 away fans to Berlin

Leeds would take 35001

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Dynamo Dresden taking 35,000 away fans to a cup game at Hertha Berlin this evening.

Ridiculous numbers. They've done something similar to 1860 Munich previously when they ground shared at Allianz Arena.

Has this ever been even close to being matched in the British game? I'm not talking cup finals or Rangers or Celtic turning up to cities on the lash en masse either really.
    Most clubs would never be able to accommodate so many away fans would they? It must be very close to Dresden is it? Or their cup final?

Clubs have taken that many to Wembley for semi-finals. Some clubs proably did the same in the old, pre-corporate days when Villa Park, Old Trafford, Hillsborough etc hosted semis and tickets were available to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Clubs have taken that many to Wembley for semi-finals. Some clubs proably did the same in the old, pre-corporate days when Villa Park, Old Trafford, Hillsborough etc hosted semis and tickets were available to anyone.
    Was it Cologne who took 20,000 to arsenal last year was it? Seemed a bit odd as surely arsenal only give the standard amount of away tickets so the rest just came for a pointless trip to London I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Was it Cologne who took 20,000 to arsenal last year was it? Seemed a bit odd as surely arsenal only give the standard amount of away tickets so the rest just came for a pointless trip to London I guess?
    There were many Cologne fans in the home end for that one.

They got in with Cologne shirts etc on too. I'll never know how.

Having said that some Scottish fans got into Cardiff City Stadium for their game with us a few years back wearing a Scottish hat, Scotland shirt, kilt and sporran. I'm not even exaggerating in the slightest. It was a complete joke from CCS staff that night.

Most clubs would never be able to accommodate so many away fans would they? It must be very close to Dresden is it? Or their cup final?
    Pretty close. And train travel for groups in Germany is pretty much free. And Berlin is a brilliant city. 35,000 is pretty crazy though. They probably don't get that at home. I think this is, in part, a demonstration though, something to do with their fans being arrested for being part of some protest. In any case - impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Pretty close. And train travel for groups in Germany is pretty much free. And Berlin is a brilliant city. 35,000 is pretty crazy though. They probably don't get that at home. I think this is, in part, a demonstration though, something to do with their fans being arrested for being part of some protest. In any case - impressive.
    Dresden fans probably goose-stepping all the way there

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Dresden fans probably goose-stepping all the way there
    Tune in next week when OurManFlintII brings out his favourite mother in law joke

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Tune in next week when OurManFlintII brings out his favourite mother in law joke
    This just in: Swansea Council have cancelled next week's joke.

When I lived there in the early 2000s, they would only get crowds of 8,000 at home but since they’ve redeveloped the ground I think the average attendance is up around 25,000, which is not bad for 2nd Div football.

It’s about 1hr 45 on the train.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    To be fair, Dresden does have a little bit of a right-wing feel to it. And goose stepping is not illegal in Germany. It is, however, a crap way to get around. I imagine they'll drive or get the train instead.

To be fair, Dresden does have a little bit of a right-wing feel to it. And goose stepping is not illegal in Germany. It is, however, a crap way to get around. I imagine they'll drive or get the train instead.
    Goose-stepping looks exhausting. If someone could could goose-step from Dresen to Berlin I'd actually be impressed. With their athleticism. I'd be appalled with their world view.

good game too...3.3 after et..they lost on pens

Quote Originally Posted by Stavross1927 View Post
    It’s about 1hr 45 on the train.
    That's a big f**king train

First top level Berlin derby tomorrow too. That'll be lively!