+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Help to buy ISA

Help to buy ISA

So a couple of people of mentioned to me that the ISA is coming to an end in a few weeks, so it is very important to sign up and get one, this post is a reminder for anyone else in the same boat or have any children / friends who could benefit from opening one.

One question I have is: has anyone got an experience of opening one? I have never had an ISA do they vary dependent on banks? do I have to open one with my bank or can I open one with a bank I am not with?

If anyone has any recommendations that would be great!

Re: Help to buy ISA

Premium Bonds

You can open one with a bank/building society you're not with.

A building society is better though in my opinion. I'm with Nationwide and I've found them to be excellent so far, they explain things in plain English. Building societies are member-led as well unlike a bank where you're just another customer. I like that.

A help to buy is a good savings account if you know you can put the money away each month and not touch it until the time comes to get a mortgage. You're usually allowed one withdrawal a year, but then lose out on interest.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    So a couple of people of mentioned to me that the ISA is coming to an end in a few weeks, so it is very important to sign up and get one, this post is a reminder for anyone else in the same boat or have any children / friends who could benefit from opening one.

One question I have is: has anyone got an experience of opening one? I have never had an ISA do they vary dependent on banks? do I have to open one with my bank or can I open one with a bank I am not with?

If anyone has any recommendations that would be great!
    Chris, I would check out a Lifetime ISA too. The Help to Buy is being replaced by the Lifetime ISA, I had a H2B but I converted mine to a Lifetime ISA 2 years ago. It has some slight differences, one of the biggest is you can put more money per year into it and also it doesn't have a monthly limit, think it has a annual limit of £4000 but you can put into it as often as you like and in differing amounts (H2B is maximum £200 a month I think).

Compare the two and see which is better for you!