Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
No idea what you are talking about ?, don't know what Corbyn's famous remark is - therefore it cant be that famous. Not all Catholics for example are foreign either so no idea what your point is. Bercow is not obviously Jewish, otherwise I would have known that he was Jewish and I didn't, its not possible to tell if a person walking down the street next to you is CoE, non-conformist, pagan etc etc even if you are given their name you mostly cant tell and Bercow's family changed their name [like the Queens crowd] to sound more English.
It reminds me of something amusing. Think Irving Berlin. Lots and lots of but certainly not all Jews adopted Anglicised names when they emigrated to the US and UK in order to blend in more seamlessly.

I'm the case of Irving Berlin (and quite a few others) the name Irving was chosen because it was considered to be a popular English Christian name. However, this name had long since lost its currency with native English speakers and was thought anachronistic.

Ironically it eventually merely served to uncover Jewish identity because by that time the name was only used among Jews.