+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Who would a new manager want to keep?

Who would a new manager want to keep?

With all the backlash at NW lately, it made me think. If he is given the sack by Xmas (assuming this 'ideal' young manager who wants to play attractive football takes over), who in this squad would he want to keep?

To be fair, I have seen this team play some decent football when they want to (more out of desperation than from NW orders) but how much of an overhaul would the squad need?

In my view, there'd be a few who'd be considered squad players (Hoilett, Whyte, Bennett, Murphy, Morrison) but very few who would transition to the 1st 11? Maybe just Smithies (who in my view is way ahead of Etheridge), Pack and Ralls? Is it as grim as I make it out to be?

Re: Who would a new manager want to keep?

It's a good question and yes I think it is as grim as you paint itI don't think any of the current squad would demand a place in the "new manager's" plans.

I think there's only one shoe-in if we developed a better passing game, someone that looks lost when we play long ball but has the full repertoire of passing skills in his locker - Paterson.

How long are we talking here? I’m assuming it would take a few windows to sort out so it would be on a group by group basis they left.

Any of them could play in a different style

They are all professional footballers and in my view, their skills are being stifled by Warnock.
    Under a new manager all the players could adapt so should be given a chance

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    How long are we talking here? I’m assuming it would take a few windows to sort out so it would be on a group by group basis they left.
    Let's call it enough time for a manager to put a stamp on a squad while still not being long enough to completely overhaul it. By February 2021, who would you expect to still be making the 11 (or 18)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bothroyd's Diving Coach View Post
    Let's call it enough time for a manager to put a stamp on a squad while still not being long enough to completely overhaul it. By February 2021, who would you expect to still be making the 11 (or 18)?
    I like this.. I’ll have a better think about it but off the top of my head id say after a summer window and jan window we’d probably have 5 starting and a bigger number in the actual squad.

Smithies

Flint/Mozza depending on what one he takes to faster

Bacuna/Ralls same reasoning, possibly both.

Pack

Hoilett (just) on experience
    Murphy
    Reid depending on the manager
    Glatzel

Not all making the 11.

Few younger players

Few just to add numbers like Bennett/pelts I think may also last a little while before being moved on.