+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bellamy interview in the Times today

Re: Bellamy interview in the Times today

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Sadly, it's their to safe guard you as well.
    Yea and its great that it does, I did a similar safeguarding module for my swimming officiating stuff a few years back, I found myself questioning things i did at our swimming club, they were purely innocent stuff aswell

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    According to TOBW, our U18s play passing, possession based football.
    They would probably embarrass our first team.
    I watched the Under 18s play the wurzels this lunchtime , one side built from the back and occasionally played some really entertaining stuff. All through the game they opted for a constructive build up while the other team were bigger, far more direct and looked to bully their opponents - the wurzels mimicking of our first team looked to have won them the game until Eli King's shot got a big deflection to earn City a 2-2 draw which I thought their patient probing style deserved.

However, you do watch these games and wonder about how can it be beneficial for the first team to play one way and, although, the Under 23s are more direct than they were, all of the age group sides play another way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    I know a player from the under 18’s who Bellamy highly rated.He told the lads dad that he was banging on Warnock’s door for weeks saying he was ready for first team football but Warnock wasn’t interested,his response was “put him in the 23’s”.Such was his frustration he was actively seeking a loan move,but bad luck with injuries put paid to that.He is now out on loan to a club outside the EFL.
    As an aside,the lad said that when Bellamy took a step back after the allegations,the intensity dropped off a mile in training and games.He also said that he had absolutely no issue with Bellamy as a coach.Now I understand if Bellamy was a fan of him,he might not have been treated badly like the others allege,but as always there are two sides to a story.I would have Bellamy as manager in a heartbeat because I believe he would change the club root and branch.
    That comment about the intensity dropping once Bellamy left ties in with what happened when it came to results because, although the Under 18s won their league, their results for the last couple of months of the season were certainly not what you'd expect from a title winning team.

I think many on here thought the allegations were all about Bellamy .As far as I’m concerned he’s going to make an excellent manager. I’m glad there is nothing stopping him being in charge of us one day. I’m not one for speculating as to whether there’s more to it or not. He’s been cleared across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I think many on here thought the allegations were all about Bellamy .As far as I’m concerned he’s going to make an excellent manager. I’m glad there is nothing stopping him being in charge of us one day. I’m not one for speculating as to whether there’s more to it or not. He’s been cleared across the board.
    Would he come back while the current hierarchy are still in charge?

PS what kind of 18 year old would report somebody for saying f*ck? What if a singer or an actor say f*ck, do they ring up the BBC and complain? Should we bring back Mary Whitehouse?

To be fair Bellamy isn't saying anything about the attitude towards youth at city that none of us would disagree with. To me it's by far a much bigger issue than the current plight of the first team.

We definitely need a revolution in attitude at city towards youth.... spending millions on players that never get game time, ignoring youth and then playing such a 'huff and puff' brand of football may be ok for a season when you're in a crisis but in the long term it's football suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It sticks out a mile that Warnock put the boot in, well that’s my opinion anyway.
    Warnock put the boot in ....

Full stop..

This was from a couple of months ago, regarding Bellamy in Belgium:

Anderlecht Under-21s boss Craig Bellamy is "nothing" as a coach, according to former coach Aad de Mos, who launched a scathing critique of the Welshman's skillset.

His style and approach, however, has not yet delivered results ahead of the reserve season getting underway, with defeats to Dender and West Ham in friendlies sending warning signs to accompany Kompany's own tough start as first team manager. Now, De Mos, who found famed success in charge of Ajax during the early eighties before coaching Anderlecht between 1989 and 1992, has blasted the former Liverpool star's methods.

“I saw Bellamy at work at the Ottencup in Eindhoven," the 72-year-old told La Derniere Heure. "He knows nothing about it. I have never seen such bad coaching in the last five years at Anderlecht's youth side."
    Guess we'll have to see if Bellamy's method do actually work. Wouldn't mind seeing him back home in the future, though.

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    This was from a couple of months ago, regarding Bellamy in Belgium:

Guess we'll have to see if Bellamy's method do actually work. Wouldn't mind seeing him back home in the future, though.
    Looks like six wins and one defeat for Bellamy's Anderlecht Under 21s so far.

https://www.soccer24.com/team/anderlecht/4Ii6bE7k/

I hope that what Bellamy says here is all there is to it. I'm sure he made a mess of communicating that players were being cut. It's a horrible thing to have to do, and easy to mess up even if it's part of your day job, which it is not for him.

I think its a terrible shame he is no longer at our club. He's a real leader, you don't get characters like him come along very often, especially when they have the CV to back it up. He is clearly dedicated to doing as well as is possible and his relentless dedication and desire to win is a real attribute. He knows the game, he has the integrity to stick to his beliefs on how to play it and how to succeed, and he has the leadership to bring others along with him. In short, he's got everything needed to lead a football club, be that as manager or some other senior role on the playing side.

That interview gives a much more rounded and positive picture of Bellamy's approach and response to the allegations than his statement of a few days ago. It is much longer of course, but it avoids the impression the statement gave of having to be 'politically correct' about 'snowflake' youngsters' sensibilities. Discipline, yes. Bullying, no. I hope we see him back at Cardiff City some day soon.

Thanks for posting the full piece LOM.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I hope that what Bellamy says here is all there is to it. I'm sure he made a mess of communicating that players were being cut. It's a horrible thing to have to do, and easy to mess up even if it's part of your day job, which it is not for him.

I think its a terrible shame he is no longer at our club. He's a real leader, you don't get characters like him come along very often, especially when they have the CV to back it up. He is clearly dedicated to doing as well as is possible and his relentless dedication and desire to win is a real attribute. He knows the game, he has the integrity to stick to his beliefs on how to play it and how to succeed, and he has the leadership to bring others along with him. In short, he's got everything needed to lead a football club, be that as manager or some other senior role on the playing side.
    I don't understand how you can come to the conclusions you have about Bellamy, i'm not disagreeing or agreeing, the fact is that we just don't know what he's like to work with. Is he a leader? I've not witnessed that, he expects high standards of others although that isn't being a leader. Time will tell with him, although i will say that in my opinion us football fans can get a bit struck by rhetoric.

I don't understand how you can come to the conclusions you have about Bellamy, i'm not disagreeing or agreeing, the fact is that we just don't know what he's like to work with. Is he a leader? I've not witnessed that, he expects high standards of others although that isn't being a leader. Time will tell with him, although i will say that in my opinion us football fans can get a bit struck by rhetoric.
    I say it because I've worked with people like him, and they are inspirational. I don't think he's the scream-at-teammates type of leader, I think he's a leader because he has clarity of thought on how to achieve, and he has the past to prove he's right. I think that would be incredibly compelling in a leader for fully fledged professionals, as well as youth players.

Now that could be my perception of a good leader because it's what I respond to and aspire to in my professional life, but I do think Ive seen enough from him in his professional career and the very little I know of him before that to believe he has those attributes.

I say it because I've worked with people like him, and they are inspirational. I don't think he's the scream-at-teammates type of leader, I think he's a leader because he has clarity of thought on how to achieve, and he has the past to prove he's right. I think that would be incredibly compelling in a leader for fully fledged professionals, as well as youth players.

Now that could be my perception of a good leader because it's what I respond to and aspire to in my professional life, but I do think Ive seen enough from him in his professional career and the very little I know of him before that to believe he has those attributes.
    For what it’s worth I agree with you. There are very good characteristics I see in Bellamy that I also see in good leaders I’ve worked with and that I hope I exhibit with my teams. Of course there’ll be flaws... I know I’ve got tons...but my personal and people development style is to focus on strengths.... and I see enough of those in Bellamy

I can agree with alot of that, and i completely understand where you're coming from, although you're saying it through your eyes based on what you've seen of Bellamy which ib fairness is the only assessment any of us can give. I'll do the same. Sometimes, some people have such high standards that they end up alienating the group or individuals fail because they can't match up to what is expected of them by somebody who has achieved at the highest level. I'd also add that maybe people like Bellamy can't quite grasp why others don't commit to a project in the way that he does, judging by the demographics of a work place then i'd say that that kind of management is likely to piss alot of people off, some of them good people who aren't lazy or demotivated, but who don't respond to that way of managing. It's a dangerous game to play in my opinion, especially with youngsters who develop at different stages.

If he is to make it at the top level he'll need to remember that he needs his workforce and having a one size fits all management style wont work in my opinion, he'll get told to ****off, not by lazy people but by those who don't respond to his style.

For what it’s worth I agree with you. There are very good characteristics I see in Bellamy that I also see in good leaders I’ve worked with and that I hope I exhibit with my teams. Of course there’ll be flaws... I know I’ve got tons...but my personal and people development style is to focus on strengths.... and I see enough of those in Bellamy
    Focusing on strengths, absolutely, especially within a group with different attributes. Do you really see that in Bellamy?

Focusing on strengths, absolutely, especially within a group with different attributes. Do you really see that in Bellamy?
    It’s why I wrote it. What qualities do you see (if any) in Bellamy?

It’s why I wrote it. What qualities do you see (if any) in Bellamy?
    I'd say that he's a perfectionist, doesn't like coming second and expects everyone to have the same expectation levels he possesses. I suppose they're qualities but only with people who respond to them. I'm not sure that he could be adaptable or patient with people who aren't on his wave length, which could be a problem in my opinion.

I'd say that he's a perfectionist, doesn't like coming second and expects everyone to have the same expectation levels he possesses. I suppose they're qualities but only with people who respond to them. I'm not sure that he could be adaptable or patient with people who aren't on his wave length, which could be a problem in my opinion.
    Tend to agree with that.

He strikes me as someone that be fantastic when things are going well and would lose his head when it doesn’t. Massive assumptions and hope I’m wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Tend to agree with that.

He strikes me as someone that be fantastic when things are going well and would lose his head when it doesn’t. Massive assumptions and hope I’m wrong.
    The other thing that i don't think is being taken into account is that out of the group that Bellamy is coaching, after their first year he'll know whether or not they've got a chance, there'll probably be three players who have a great chance of a pro contract, then the possibles and a fair chunk who have got no chance, they just haven't developed in the way the club would've hoped, i'd say half of these young lads are punts. I'd have thought that Bellamy would know pretty soon who had a chance but would still have to put his efforts into the dead rubber as they're under contract. That must be difficult for someone like him.

This is the difference between a Leader and a Manager. The two are not the same, but people can have the qualities to be both.

Thing is, he came to play championship football when he could have stayed in the prem. That alone makes me think he's got a bit more to him than the Roy Keane style tunnel vision on being the best. I do think hes all about improvement and being as good as you can be, rather than obsession with being the best in an absolute sense. Which is what I think keane is all about.

I take your point about him not being able to communicate with people who aren't on his wavelength. Not sure that's a weakness really. If he only wants players with the same dedication and commitment as him, he would be building a club according to his own values and I'd quite like that if it was mine.

Anyway as you say all of this is speculation based on what we know of him from his career (although if you look at the way he speaks and behaves, it is consistent and clear). But he might be an irredeemable cockhead in real life, who knows.

These are the attributes of a top class football manager, and a top class football manager will only use the players who can do what he wants them to do. Everybody else is out the door.

All the best managers are perfectionists and don’t suffer fools gladly. Shape up or ship out was very much Fergies mantra and I don’t think Pep or Klopp settle for anything less. If you are not on their Wavelength bye bye. You see Pep rollicking Sterling after a cup final they won 6-1 and he was man of the match and was pissing around in the last chance of the game and messed it up.

Very interesting interview. Would love to see Bellamy as manager of Cardiff city this season. Question is have our board got the foresight to make that decision.