+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter Ridsdale - top of the Championship

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Peter Ridsdale - top of the Championship

Former Cardiff City chairman Peter Ridsdale's back on top of the Championship following Preston's victory over Charlton today. Apparently, he works very closely with North End manager Alex Neil on all football matters including player recruitment in his role as adviser to the owner.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ootball-league

Preston's starting line-up today contained five players aged 25 or under. Charlton's contained six, including teenager Connor Gallagher. Birmingham's starting eleven yesterday contained six players aged 25 or under, including 16 year-old Jude Bellingham. Meanwhile, City's starting line-up didn't feature any players aged 25 or under. The youngest starters were Joe Ralls and Curtis Nelson, who are both 26.

Re: Peter Ridsdale - top of the Championship

Palace chairman was on radio 5 earlier talking about Palace investing £20 million to build facilities for their academy

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Former Cardiff City chairman Peter Ridsdale's back on top of the Championship following Preston's victory over Charlton today. Apparently, he works very closely with North End manager Alex Neil on all football matters including player recruitment in his role as adviser to the owner.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ootball-league

Preston's starting line-up today contained five players aged 25 or under. Charlton's contained six, including teenager Connor Gallagher. Birmingham's starting eleven yesterday contained six players aged 25 or under, including 16 year-old Jude Bellingham. Meanwhile, City's starting line-up didn't feature any players aged 25 or under. The youngest starters were Joe Ralls and Curtis Nelson, who are both 26.
    He was slippery, although i'd say that he was a 'Football Man'

He lied to our fans about what would be done with season ticket money if we bought them early.
    By the time Ridsdale was basically forced out of Leeds they were £103 million in debt and had severe financial problems for years after.
    He very nearly put Barnsley in to liquidation when he was their owner.
    I wouldn"t trust him.

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    I wouldn"t trust him.
    Out of interest, do you trust those involved in the current set-up?

I'll go a little bit further with those sentiments and say in all the years I've watched or had an interest in City the club (in the main) has been owned and run by a collection of absolute c###s.

I'm obviously a bit jaded and cynical from the experience.

As far as I know the present board don"t have a track record of financially ruining football clubs nor have we had to face 4 (iirc) HMRC winding up orders as we did under Ridsdale"s tenure.

As far as I know the present board don"t have a track record of financially ruining football clubs nor have we had to face 4 (iirc) HMRC winding up orders as we did under Ridsdale"s tenure.

Is that a yes?

Definitely, Ridsdale & Scam Hammam almost ruined the Club, and you ask that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    To be fair to the Riddler, he had a tough job here, he had no money to spend and that is not how he works

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    To be fair to the Riddler, he had a tough job here, he had no money to spend and that is not how he works
    I reckon that recruitment would be alot better if he was involved, as for everything else, god knows.

So he spent money we didn"t have which is how he works.

He's had no money to spend at Preston either. You'd know that if you read the article I linked. Give him money and you've got a problem, he works much better without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    It's a simple question. It wasn't an attempt to draw comparisons or look back to the past. But hey, that's the way football fans like it, isn't it? Heroes and villains, good guys and bad guys. Never mind the way things are now, look at how they were then. Etc, etc.

I find it inconceivable that anyone would be daft enough to trust the current regime, but each to their own. And good luck with it.

Some of our best recruitment came when he was our chairman.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Some of our best recruitment came when he was our chairman.
    Think that was down to Dave Jones as much as anybody..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Think that was down to Dave Jones as much as anybody..
    I disagree up to a point. Take the cup final season when we signed Fowler, Hasselbaink and Sinclair. That was mainly Ridsdale's plan to bring in some star names on big wages rather than spend lots on transfer fees. It's also wide knowledge that Ridsdale signed Loovens despite Jones being against the move. Ridsdale certainly had his contacts.

I think it's also telling that Jones, when he went to Sheffield Wednesday, spent half of his time recruiting former Cardiff players. That didn't work well.

In terms of bringing in talented players, Hammam and Ridsdale seemed to know a few things, even if both did much damage to the club. The same cannot be said of the current board, yet they've been far more careful and prudent financially. Now if we could get a board that looks after the pennies and has lots of footballing contacts to bring in some undiscovered gems, we'd be one hell of a club.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I disagree up to a point. Take the cup final season when we signed Fowler, Hasselbaink and Sinclair. That was mainly Ridsdale's plan to bring in some star names on big wages rather than spend lots on transfer fees. It's also wide knowledge that Ridsdale signed Loovens despite Jones being against the move. Ridsdale certainly had his contacts.

I think it's also telling that Jones, when he went to Sheffield Wednesday, spent half of his time recruiting former Cardiff players. That didn't work well.

In terms of bringing in talented players, Hammam and Ridsdale seemed to know a few things, even if both did much damage to the club. The same cannot be said of the current board, yet they've been far more careful and prudent financially. Now if we could get a board that looks after the pennies and has lots of footballing contacts to bring in some undiscovered gems, we'd be one hell of a club.
    Craig Bellamy ?
    Take a gamble

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Craig Bellamy ?
    Take a gamble
    Weren't there rumours that Vinny was paying his wages first time around?

I think every team gets a go at being top this season.its so bunched up at the moment

Riddler or Vinnie Oh if only Scam would come back

lets be honest here, Vinnie is now trying to do right by the club, yes we still have a few who hold a grudge, but the club is moving in the right direction

Banned

Riddler or Vinnie Oh if only Scam would come back

lets be honest here, Vinnie is now trying to do right by the club, yes we still have a few who hold a grudge, but the club is moving in the right direction

Season before last - Promoted
    Last season - Premier League
    This season - Over before Christmas (Championship).

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post

Season before last - Promoted
    Last season - Premier League
    This season - Over before Christmas (Championship).
    Very hard to keep on that upward trajectory year on year, was probably more of a general comment.