+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Remember the curse of November?

Remember the curse of November?

There was an unusual trait during Dave Jones' time with us that we didn't like playing in November. There was no reason for it, it was simply one of those oddities. In his last 3 seasons we won 2 and lost 9 in November. Very bizarre.

Since his days, there have only been 3 seasons where we've lost more than we've won in November. In Mackay's first season, we won 5 and drew 1 in the eleventh month.

A friend on Facebook mentioned about us not liking November, so I thought I'd have a look. Curious stat alert.

November record under Jones: W 6 D 8 L 15
    November record post Jones: W 20 D 6 L 11

This isn't an attempt at Jones bashing at all. I just find things like this curious. There's absolutely no logic or reason for it.

It might be worth considering that we haven't drawn a game in November since a late Burnley brace saw them overhaul a 2 goal deficit in a 2-2 draw back in 2015. It's been 4 years since we last drew in November.

All strange stuff.

Re: Remember the curse of November?

Let's hope we can go for all wins this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    There was an unusual trait during Dave Jones' time with us that we didn't like playing in November. There was no reason for it, it was simply one of those oddities. In his last 3 seasons we won 2 and lost 9 in November. Very bizarre.

Since his days, there have only been 3 seasons where we've lost more than we've won in November. In Mackay's first season, we won 5 and drew 1 in the eleventh month.

A friend on Facebook mentioned about us not liking November, so I thought I'd have a look. Curious stat alert.

November record under Jones: W 6 D 8 L 15
    November record post Jones: W 20 D 6 L 11

This isn't an attempt at Jones bashing at all. I just find things like this curious. There's absolutely no logic or reason for it.

It might be worth considering that we haven't drawn a game in November since a late Burnley brace saw them overhaul a 2 goal deficit in a 2-2 draw back in 2015. It's been 4 years since we last drew in November.

All strange stuff.
    Didn’t it move on a month to December?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Damn. I have to scratch this itch now!

Our December record under Jones was relatively good. 14 wins, 12 draws, 9 defeats. In 2006/07 we drew 5 out of our 6 fixtures that month. I'm guessing there won't be many other months in our history where we drew so many games. Between 15/12/07 and 26/12/09 we were unbeaten in December and won 9 out of those 12 December fixtures. There's no surprise for guessing that Plymouth ended that unbeaten run!

Under Malky (and Kerslake when he was caretaker boss), we won 8, drew 4 and lost 5 games in December. December was arguably the month that put us in such a strong position when we won promotion in 2012/13 and 5 points from 6 December games in the Premier League was marginally better than our season long form.

Since then we've not had a December where we've won more games than we've lost. Since 2014/15 our record is 8 wins, 11 draws, 12 defeats. December was our wobbliest month when we won promotion 2 seasons ago. However, 7 points from 6 games in the Premier League last season was much better than our season long form and December also saw us win our first away game in the top flight.

Being a saddo who has all of our results in an excel spreadsheet, I thought I'd also work out what our best and worst months are overall in our league history. In descending order, these are the average number of points we've won each month (all wins converted to 3 points):

June 3
    November 1.47
    January 1.463
    December 1.418
    February 1.408
    September 1.392
    March 1.366
    August 1.359
    October 1.317
    April 1.285
    May 1.266

The June anomaly was a 1-0 home win over Leyton Orient on 7 Jun 1947. That's the only time we've played a league match in June.

It seems like, on average, we're slowish starters and tend to end seasons more weakly.

Is that points won - or points per game?

I well remember the sense of foreboding I'd get as we went into November during Dave Jones' later seasons with us. I wonder if our awful results we had under him in that month might have had something to do with the training schedule he worked to over the course of a season - I seem to remember someone (might have been me!) looked into his November record at the other clubs he managed and it was pretty poor with them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It moved on for the rest of the season

We need to move all our games to June.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Is that points won - or points per game?
    Per game

I'd completely forgotten about that, what a nightmare of a month November always was

Damn. I have to scratch this itch now!

Our December record under Jones was relatively good. 14 wins, 12 draws, 9 defeats. In 2006/07 we drew 5 out of our 6 fixtures that month. I'm guessing there won't be many other months in our history where we drew so many games. Between 15/12/07 and 26/12/09 we were unbeaten in December and won 9 out of those 12 December fixtures. There's no surprise for guessing that Plymouth ended that unbeaten run!

Under Malky (and Kerslake when he was caretaker boss), we won 8, drew 4 and lost 5 games in December. December was arguably the month that put us in such a strong position when we won promotion in 2012/13 and 5 points from 6 December games in the Premier League was marginally better than our season long form.

Since then we've not had a December where we've won more games than we've lost. Since 2014/15 our record is 8 wins, 11 draws, 12 defeats. December was our wobbliest month when we won promotion 2 seasons ago. However, 7 points from 6 games in the Premier League last season was much better than our season long form and December also saw us win our first away game in the top flight.

Being a saddo who has all of our results in an excel spreadsheet, I thought I'd also work out what our best and worst months are overall in our league history. In descending order, these are the average number of points we've won each month (all wins converted to 3 points):

June 3
    November 1.47
    January 1.463
    December 1.418
    February 1.408
    September 1.392
    March 1.366
    August 1.359
    October 1.317
    April 1.285
    May 1.266

The June anomaly was a 1-0 home win over Leyton Orient on 7 Jun 1947. That's the only time we've played a league match in June.

It seems like, on average, we're slowish starters and tend to end seasons more weakly.
    Would have only been 2 points in 1947 he said pedantically 😂

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Would have only been 2 points in 1947 he said pedantically ��
    Indeed, though I had pointed out I'd converted all wins to 3 points.

I thought I'd have a look to see if I could find out why that season went on as long as it did. It appears that there was a very harsh winter in Jan/Feb 1947 that caused a terrific backlog of fixtures. Cardiff beat Brighton on Feb 1st and had to wait until March 1st to play again. In the first division, Liverpool had to wait a fortnight until June 14th to see if they were champions or not. Sheffield United beat Stoke on that date to hand Liverpool the title.

Despite that bitter winter, we only dropped 3 points at home, where we were unbeaten all season, and won the 3rd division south at a canter. In terms of results, that was our best ever season.

Indeed, though I had pointed out I'd converted all wins to 3 points.

I thought I'd have a look to see if I could find out why that season went on as long as it did. It appears that there was a very harsh winter in Jan/Feb 1947 that caused a terrific backlog of fixtures. Cardiff beat Brighton on Feb 1st and had to wait until March 1st to play again. In the first division, Liverpool had to wait a fortnight until June 14th to see if they were champions or not. Sheffield United beat Stoke on that date to hand Liverpool the title.

Despite that bitter winter, we only dropped 3 points at home, where we were unbeaten all season, and won the 3rd division south at a canter. In terms of results, that was our best ever season.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter...wer%20stations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUcAfHD1BAY