+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anybody But Conservatives

Anybody But Conservatives

Anyone voting Conservative must be mad, I know that the majority of people are politically illiterate due to a lack of interest in politics and that many people are selfish in voting for what's best for them and not the country and that lots are brainwashed by the media and press but anyone voting Conservative will be helping to continue doing lasting damage to the country and i'm a so called Welsh nationalist where in a perverse way a Conservative majority would be the best possible result in helping to break up the UK so that an independent Wales would then have the opportunity of voting in a party that distributes wealth more equally, I wouldn't want to see even more and more extreme right wing policies enforced on the people.

There ends the Anyone But Conservatives party political broadcast.

Re: Anybody But Conservatives

The one thing that doesn't yet seem to have happened in this volatile and changing political environment is a campaign for England to become independent and jettison the Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland, areas where public spending outstrips tax receipts.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The one thing that doesn't yet seem to have happened in this volatile and changing political environment is a campaign for England to become independent and jettison the Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland, areas where public spending outstrips tax receipts.
    Volatile AND changing?

And why is this? Generations of under investment in our economy, transport infrastructure etc when support was needed to give us a chance to adapt to structural changes in Wales' economy. So it is no surprise that a low wage economy generates smaller tax income. The same is true for the forgotten industrial areas across the UK. I'm not a Nationalist but Wales is treated dreadfully by Westminster and a right wing Tory Government will make no attempt to address past underinvestment. They won't even match European aid which seeks to address this disparity in economic performance and resulting poverty. Unfortunately, many Welsh people see 'our country' as meaning the UK due to a lack of a Welsh media and believe we are in the same boat as the south east of England. If only.

Quote Originally Posted by Penywaun gentrified View Post
    And why is this? Generations of under investment in our economy, transport infrastructure etc when support was needed to give us a chance to adapt to structural changes in Wales' economy. So it is no surprise that a low wage economy generates smaller tax income. The same is true for the forgotten industrial areas across the UK. I'm not a Nationalist but Wales is treated dreadfully by Westminster and a right wing Tory Government will make no attempt to address past underinvestment. They won't even match European aid which seeks to address this disparity in economic performance and resulting poverty. Unfortunately, many Welsh people see 'our country' as meaning the UK due to a lack of a Welsh media and believe we are in the same boat as the south east of England. If only.
    Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I was thinking that myself , how wealthy they would become ,gosh it must be tempting , I would worry though for Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland surviving , probably need a big hike in tax to supplement the social goals, Independence and the overall burden of the public sector .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I was thinking that myself , how wealthy they would become ,gosh it must be tempting , I would worry though for Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland surviving , probably need a big hike in tax to supplement the social goals, Independence and the overall burden of the public sector .
    Probably not much more wealthy than now. We could ask some experts to forecast it but the majority of people who would call for English independance don't believe in experts and forecasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Probably not much more wealthy than now. We could ask some experts to forecast it but the majority of people who would call for English independance don't believe in experts and forecasts.
    I think Scotland may have the better chance ,you have to be able to offer something folk want to purchase and export goods to provide wealth and growth , relying on government type public sector employment won't be enough ,in fact it could become a burden , there are only so many daffodils hats one can sell , we could lower corporation taxes top attract private business investors however that wont go down well within the political landscape of Wales.

Cardiff-based Admiral Insurance is Wales's only FTSE 100 company

There's not enough quality jobs available. From what I see the minimum wage is, or is rapidly becoming, the default wage in the private sector and the majority of those are part-time or zero hour work.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Having lived and worked in England since before many posters here were born , I can assure you that if the subject of Wales or Scotland arises, ( which it almost never does), the idea of getting rid of them does quickly follow. I've always said that if the SNP put candidates up in England they'd soon get enough mp's to leave on a vote of the House.
    Unfortunately we're never going to be a world power again, so the advantage of a bigger land mass and potential military manpower no longer means much. A split would result in four small countries . One of them, England, would be very rich and the others would be very poor.
    One in fact would struggle to find food and shelter for its population because it has no rescources - and we know which one that is.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Having lived and worked in England since before many posters here were born , I can assure you that if the subject of Wales or Scotland arises, ( which it almost never does), the idea of getting rid of them does quickly follow. I've always said that if the SNP put candidates up in England they'd soon get enough mp's to leave on a vote of the House.
    Unfortunately we're never going to be a world power again, so the advantage of a bigger land mass and potential military manpower no longer means much. A split would result in four small countries . One of them, England, would be very rich and the others would be very poor.
    One in fact would struggle to find food and shelter for its population because it has no rescources - and we know which one that is.
    Wales is a net exporter of electricity and water, England is a net importer of both, England is set to run out of water in about 25 years, they recon they will be fighting wars over water in the future and Wales has it in abundance, I seen it the other day if England paid Wales the current going rate for water it would be worth more than 2 grand a year to every man, woman and child in Wales, we have lots of energy and electricity and lots of farm land and we are mainly surrounded by sea, Wales has enormous potential for tourism, beaches, mountains, castles etc.
    The English are coming here in droves, mainly retired people with money leave England and come to Wales for the 'good life', we would definitely have to have a points system for immigration control as Wales is a highly desirable place for people to come but lots are not working age.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ronment-agency

Peter Reid: ‘I told Boris Johnson he was a fat, lying disgrace’ and other in depth analysis of Johnson, the Tories and Brexit:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...dall-interview

I always liked Peter Reid.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Peter Reid: ‘I told Boris Johnson he was a fat, lying disgrace’ and other in depth analysis of Johnson, the Tories and Brexit:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...dall-interview

I always liked Peter Reid.
    Quite apart from sharing a surname with the rat boy of Fulham, I wonder how much of his footballing money he's shared out as opposed to wanting to share out someone else's hard earned .