+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Don Murray.

Don Murray.

With the reference to Don in another thread, a question, which I'm afraid I cannot answer, occurred to me - is there another player who fulfils the following criteria?

1. Born in Great Britain.
    2. Made over four hundred and fifty appearances in his career, over 90 per cent of which were in the Football League.
    3. Over 90 per cent of those appearances were for clubs outside the country of his birth.
    4. Never played a single game for an English club.

There can't be many of them.

Thinking of City players, I went for a couple from the 1927 team. Being born in the UK, rather than Great Britain, Tom Farqhuharson wouldn't qualify, but, according to Wikipedia, he didn't play more than four hundred and fifty matches anyway, while I was surprised to learn that Billy Hardy played for Stockport in the Football League before signing for Hearts because I thought he only played for them and City.

Re: Don Murray.

Did Alan tate ever play in England? I think the guy with the most appearances for the jacks is a Scot.

Apparently Wilf Milne played 568 times for Swansea Town in the 20/30s, born in NE England, one club man.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Did Alan tate ever play in England? I think the guy with the most appearances for the jacks is a Scot.
    Think he played in England. It would have been a bit silly only playing home games!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Apparently Wilf Milne played 568 times for Swansea Town in the 20/30s, born in NE England, one club man.
    That’s the chap

Think he played in England. It would have been a bit silly only playing home games!
    Very clever. I’m wrong anyway, he fails on a number of counts

Well done, just looked him up on Wikipedia - he was a prolific scorer towards the end of his career when you consider it took him 501 matches to get his first one! Also, I see he played as a goalkeeper in his final two matches for the jacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfred_Milne

A City player who almost meets the criteria is one club man Peter King who played over four hundred times for us in all competitions and over three hundred and fifty times in the League.

Another condition I almost included was had to have played for at least four clubs - once you factor in that, Don must be close to being, or possibly is, unique.

Don Murray was unique in the sense that he was the only professional footballer who kicked the ball with his toes.

There's loads of players who have played hundred of games but played none for English based clubs. Not necessarily our players though.

Gavin Rae and Kevin McNaughton only played only for Scottish and Welsh clubs, and Tom Farqhuarson played 445 league games for us but played loads more in cup games.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Gavin Rae and Kevin McNaughton only played only for Scottish and Welsh clubs, and Tom Farqhuarson played 445 league games for us but played loads more in cup games.
    McNaughton played for Bolton, I was thinking him too.

Gavin Rae is probably a good shout.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    McNaughton played for Bolton, I was thinking him too.

Gavin Rae is probably a good shout.
    Rae doesn't qualify because 90 per cent plus of his appearances weren't for clubs outside the country of his birth.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Rae doesn't qualify because 90 per cent plus of his appearances weren't for clubs outside the country of his birth.
    Tough criteria to meet Paul, I missed that bit.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Ah of course, will be a very difficult one I think.

Alfred Jones - Wrexham
    Born in Chester and made over 500 appearances.
    Good ole wiki.

NASA Voyager 1 Space Probe, currently about 14 biilion miles away, is the second most distant man made object from Earth behind the ball from Don Murray's penalty against Dynamo Berlin in 1971

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Alfred Jones - Wrexham
    Born in Chester and made over 500 appearances.
    Good ole wiki.
    Well done, see he was related to Dixie Dean.