+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Six decades of Cardiff City v Bristol City matches.

Six decades of Cardiff City v Bristol City matches.

Re: Six decades of Cardiff City v Bristol City matches.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I see you are using that old anagram for Mr Osman sir!

That really is a "suave plan" trick!

Yours,

"more a knight"

1960s Chuck Drury

In the 1960s Bradford Park Avenue had more good players than you would expect for a bottom division club - Kevin Hector, Kenny Hibbet, Jim Fryat, Bobby Ham, Ronnie Bird, Mick Magrath, etc.

It is a bit of a coincidence but I've been looking at the career of James Drury lately. He said life for him now mainly consists of visits to the hospital.

00s - Michael Bell
    10s - Ryan Kent

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 View Post
    I see you are using that old anagram for Mr Osman sir!

That really is a "suave plan" trick!

Yours,

"more a knight"
    About a fortnight ago, I learned from my brother that my niece had now got yet another qualification and she could now put eight letters after her name. My response was to offer my congratulations, but I told my brother to tell her that, even with all of those additional letters, she still couldn't get the word suave from her name and I thought that was very important - I'd honestly not thought of that until then.

Anyway, Russell Osman is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    1960s Chuck Drury

In the 1960s Bradford Park Avenue had more good players than you would expect for a bottom division club - Kevin Hector, Kenny Hibbet, Jim Fryat, Bobby Ham, Ronnie Bird, Mick Magrath, etc.

It is a bit of a coincidence but I've been looking at the career of James Drury lately. He said life for him now mainly consists of visits to the hospital.
    Ian Gibson played for them as well didn't he - I know he played for Accrington Stanley at 15.

Chuck Drury is correct.

I'm a bit surprised James Drury is still alive - he must be well into his eighties now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    00s - Michael Bell
    10s - Ryan Kent
    Both correct.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    1960s Chuck Drury

You are quite right about Bradford PA in the 60s and at the time I remember being somewhat disappointed that it was Ronnie Bird that we got and not Kevin Hector who had been banging them in for ages and continued to do when he signed for Derby who were also a Div 2 team at the time. Ronnie, God love him, went on to provide memorable goals and laughs in his own inimitable style but, at the time, I felt we had missed out.

no coincidence that jimmy Scoular was manager at Bradford before he came here. And we signed Ronnie Bird from Bury, Ian Gibson from Coventry and Ken Jones from Southampton, all of whom had played under him at BPA.

70s is John Emmanuel and Eddie Woods, both signed from Ferndale Athletic.

80s Matt Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    You are quite right about Bradford PA in the 60s and at the time I remember being somewhat disappointed that it was Ronnie Bird that we got and not Kevin Hector who had been banging them in for ages and continued to do when he signed for Derby who were also a Div 2 team at the time. Ronnie, God love him, went on to provide memorable goals and laughs in his own inimitable style but, at the time, I felt we had missed out.
    What was Jimmy Scoular thinking? He knew more about Hector than anyone. Leeds also missed out. He was on their doorstep. I think they later tried to swap Lorimer for Hector. Kevin Hector was the top scorer in all divisions around 1964 and he was still scoring goals for Derby in 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    no coincidence that jimmy Scoular was manager at Bradford before he came here. And we signed Ronnie Bird from Bury, Ian Gibson from Coventry and Ken Jones from Southampton, all of whom had played under him at BPA.
    Yes, you’re quite right about Bury. Af the time I thought it was a little ironic that, of all the players Jimmy Scoular had under his control at. Bradford it was Ronnie we eventually got and not the star striker.

All answers given are correct, but they're on the blog now if anyone wants to check them.