+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting advice

Painting advice

SLUDGE WHERE ARE YOU?

I'm painting a room in my house Dulux Matt Almond White. It's on to fresh plaster so I gave it a mist coat on Sunday (plasterer finished on the 24th so it was definitely dry) and the first coat on Wednesday. When I went back last night to give it a second coat, areas were darker and patchy, especially where I'd used a brush to cut in. I gave it a second coat, this time using a mini roller to get as close as possible to the corners but some bits are still darker, the worst being the corner in the photo.

That photo was taken this morning, 13 hrs after the 2nd coat. Should I expect it to even out with more drying time or do I need to do something different?

The room is pretty cold at the moment because the radiator's off, if that has any bearing on drying times or anything

image0.jpg

Re: Painting advice

Is it just a plaster skim coat? Something's not dry. I'd get a space heater in there for a couple of days and then try a third coat. What kind of paint are you using?

Know naff all about painting, but that window looks out of square !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Is it just a plaster skim coat? Something's not dry. I'd get a space heater in there for a couple of days and then try a third coat. What kind of paint are you using?
    Duluk Matt. And yeah a skim coat. Seems to me that something's not dry but the plaster was 100% dry before I applied the mist coat. I was away so it had 11 days to dry

Was there any damp in the wall before you started the job ?

First of all, open the window. Did you have the window wall skimmed over as well, can't tell by the photo, and if not, what is on the window wall eg lining paper, paint etc. It looks from the photo that there is a bit of a damp patch at the bottom of the window wall, your new plaster, which is very porous may be pulling the damp across.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    SLUDGE WHERE ARE YOU?

I'm painting a room in my house Dulux Matt Almond White. It's on to fresh plaster so I gave it a mist coat on Sunday (plasterer finished on the 24th so it was definitely dry) and the first coat on Wednesday. When I went back last night to give it a second coat, areas were darker and patchy, especially where I'd used a brush to cut in. I gave it a second coat, this time using a mini roller to get as close as possible to the corners but some bits are still darker, the worst being the corner in the photo.

That photo was taken this morning, 13 hrs after the 2nd coat. Should I expect it to even out with more drying time or do I need to do something different?

The room is pretty cold at the moment because the radiator's off, if that has any bearing on drying times or anything

image0.jpg
    Will the radiator not being on ( as to being on and emitting heat) have any bearing on the drying time ??

I am neither a plasterer a painter or a builder so this is a rough guess........yes it will....

If you need any further advice please don't hesitate

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    First of all, open the window. Did you have the window wall skimmed over as well, can't tell by the photo, and if not, what is on the window wall eg lining paper, paint etc. It looks from the photo that there is a bit of a damp patch at the bottom of the window wall, your new plaster, which is very porous may be pulling the damp across.
    Ok I'll open the window fully. Yes window wall skimmed over. I didn't notice any damp before it was skimmed but maybe it's showing up more now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Will the radiator not being on ( as to being on and emitting heat) have any bearing on the drying time ??

I am neither a plasterer a painter or a builder so this is a rough guess........yes it will....

If you need any further advice please don't hesitate

JJ
    Well yes obviously I know that, that's why I put "or anything"

Did the plasterer do any repairs in that corner, like hack back to the brick and render, bond it out? That's the coldest point in the room, what can happen during the drying process is that all of the moisture from the plaster drying out will condense in that area, maybe it was a problem area before it was skimmed and the new plaster is showing it more now. Was there bubbling or salting in the area before he skimmed the wall. Things like this are a pain in the arse, especially on older properties.

Did the plasterer do any repairs in that corner, like hack back to the brick and render, bond it out? That's the coldest point in the room, what can happen during the drying process is that all of the moisture from the plaster drying out will condense in that area, maybe it was a problem area before it was skimmed and the new plaster is showing it more now. Was there bubbling or salting in the area before he skimmed the wall. Things like this are a pain in the arse, especially on older properties.
    No he didn't, and no no bubbling or salting. Yeah I can feel this is going to be a pain in the arse

In my opinion you may have had a problem with condensation there previously but it wasn't as noticeable, old property, cold external walls etc. Do you get a lot of condensation on the window running onto the sill? It could just be staining. You have two options, hack it off and render it or use a stain block type of paint, then paint over with the dulux. We've had a lot of rain lately, that doesn't help, air the room as much as possible, it'll probably kickoff during the drier months.

In my opinion you may have had a problem with condensation there previously but it wasn't as noticeable, old property, cold external walls etc. Do you get a lot of condensation on the window running onto the sill? It could just be staining. You have two options, hack it off and render it or use a stain block type of paint, then paint over with the dulux. We've had a lot of rain lately, that doesn't help, air the room as much as possible, it'll probably kickoff during the drier months.
    Ok mate, thanks for the advice

Well yes obviously I know that, that's why I put "or anything"

If its a damp or condensation problem maybe worth hiring a dehumidifier to suck out any moisture out of the walls , as long as you have used a breathable paint ......if its a wipeable matt or silk it will prevent the moisture from coming out

Failing that try using an alkali resisting primer on the patches to prevent any reaction between the paint and plaster

Or some damp seal ? But that's not always a good idea as if it is a damp problem it will just move to another area which hasn't been sealed

You may have to bite the bullet and wait until the warmer weather , stick on another coat and see what happens

As has been suggested it could be that you have an old property with a lot of moisture hanging around in the walls

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    If its a damp or condensation problem maybe worth hiring a dehumidifier to suck out any moisture out of the walls , as long as you have used a breathable paint ......if its a wipeable matt or silk it will prevent the moisture from coming out

Failing that try using an alkali resisting primer on the patches to prevent any reaction between the paint and plaster

Or some damp seal ? But that's not always a good idea as if it is a damp problem it will just move to another area which hasn't been sealed

You may have to bite the bullet and wait until the warmer weather , stick on another coat and see what happens

As has been suggested it could be that you have an old property with a lot of moisture hanging around in the walls
    Thanks mate

No he didn't, and no no bubbling or salting. Yeah I can feel this is going to be a pain in the arse
    It'll probably dry out, but it looks a bit like salt to me. Once it's dried out properly look for salty residue and wet your finger and taste it to confirm ( tiny touch, don't eat it). Did you let the plasterer dob and dab the boards on rather than using batons ?
    If so, it's crap and never do it.
    It'll either dry out or not, and if it doesn't, don't start ****ing about and trying to cover it with stain blocker or pva or any other crap cause it won't work. Let's hope it sorts itself out, but if it doesn't pm me and I'll tell you how to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    It'll probably dry out, but it looks a bit like salt to me. Once it's dried out properly look for salty residue and wet your finger and taste it to confirm ( tiny touch, don't eat it). Did you let the plasterer dob and dab the boards on rather than using batons ?
    If so, it's crap and never do it.
    It'll either dry out or not, and if it doesn't, don't start ****ing about and trying to cover it with stain blocker or pva or any other crap cause it won't work. Let's hope it sorts itself out, but if it doesn't pm me and I'll tell you how to fix it.
    I've just got back and it seems a bit better and the windows are open now. Radiator's back on too so hopefully that'll do it. Cheers

I've just got back and it seems a bit better and the windows are open now. Radiator's back on too so hopefully that'll do it. Cheers
    Good man, the air outside is drier than internally, less moisture. Let it circulate.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Duluk Matt. And yeah a skim coat. Seems to me that something's not dry but the plaster was 100% dry before I applied the mist coat. I was away so it had 11 days to dry
    That's not Matt it's NYCBlue

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Know naff all about painting, but that window looks out of square !!!!
    Or possibly the wall is on the piss....

Or maybe it's the perspective from the camera angle being higher than the vanishing point lower down

International

did you size (?) the walls after the plaster was dry?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    No but I sealed it with a diluted paint solution.

Update on this is that opening the windows and sticking the radiator on has worked a treat so thanks all for the advice

No but I sealed it with a diluted paint solution.

Update on this is that opening the windows and sticking the radiator on has worked a treat so thanks all for the advice
    The gathering of people outside your house in their shorts & flip flops are testimony to this today🔥

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    You don't size the walls of plaster , this creates a seal and prevents moisture from escaping , if you are going to paint the walls , as this chap did

You put a water thinned fog or mist cost of a Matt based paint on to sink into the plaster and provide a key for the following undiluted costs of paint to bind to and prevent flaking