Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you ever had a gun held to your head?

Re: Have you ever had a gun held to your head?

The closest I have ever come to a real gun was when I stayed with a long lost cousin in the USA (Pennsylvania). We were sitting chatting in her living room when I heard a couple of bangs. Her husband (who was one of those hunting/fishing/shooting types) was shooting prairie dogs in their garden. They are regarded as pests there, a bit like grey squirrels over here, because they were eating the veg he was growing in his back garden. It was like a scene from a Western with the lower sash window partly open and him squatting on the floor firing through the gap!

Back when I was a kid I was playing basketball with some randoms (pick-up game) when these two guys started kicking off on the other side of the street. Think it was a drug deal gone bad or some shit, one of them pulls out a handgun and starts waving it around. I shouted at him to put it away cos it's ****ed up to have a gun out when there's kids about. He looked daggers at me but he ran off.

Anyway, I went home and decided (like the idiot I am) to tell my parents about it. Turns out I got in one little fight and my mum got scared. She said, "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air". I begged and pleaded with her day after day but she packed my suitcase and sent me on my way. She gave me a kiss and then she gave me my ticket. I put my Walkman on and said, "I might as well kick it". First class, yo, this is bad. Drinking orange juice out of a champagne glass. Is this what the people of Bel-Air living like? Hmm, this might be alright...

But wait I hear they're prissy, bourgeois, all that. Is this the type of place that they just send this cool cat? I don't think so, I'll see when I get there. I hope they're prepared for the prince of Bel-Air.

I stupidly let a friend shoot at a load of boxes I was holding up and the .177 pellet just missed my janglies and hit my inner thigh. God that hurt.
    Travelling through Laos in 2002 on a public bus and there were some armed guerillas stood on the side of the road, watching us go past. They had automatic weapons and an RPG launcher.
    A few weeks later (by which time I was in Vietnam) the same bus was machine-gunned and a Frenchman killed...

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    Back when I was a kid I was playing basketball with some randoms (pick-up game) when these two guys started kicking off on the other side of the street. Think it was a drug deal gone bad or some shit, one of them pulls out a handgun and starts waving it around. I shouted at him to put it away cos it's ****ed up to have a gun out when there's kids about. He looked daggers at me but he ran off.

Anyway, I went home and decided (like the idiot I am) to tell my parents about it. Turns out I got in one little fight and my mum got scared. She said, "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air". I begged and pleaded with her day after day but she packed my suitcase and sent me on my way. She gave me a kiss and then she gave me my ticket. I put my Walkman on and said, "I might as well kick it". First class, yo, this is bad. Drinking orange juice out of a champagne glass. Is this what the people of Bel-Air living like? Hmm, this might be alright...

But wait I hear they're prissy, bourgeois, all that. Is this the type of place that they just send this cool cat? I don't think so, I'll see when I get there. I hope they're prepared for the prince of Bel-Air.
    Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Many moons ago, me and my mate (we were both about 16/17), went to a house party in Ely.
    We weren’t invited by the owner, we just tagged along with some other folk we knew who had been invited.
    The party was in full flow, and me and my mate were quite pissed. He was on the settee trying to chat up this older woman.
    It turned out it was the house owners wife, and with out warning, he just walked into the room, with what looked like a rifle. Not sure if it was a rifle, shotgun or pellet gun, but we both shat ourselves when he said “ you 2 have got 30 seconds to get out of my fuc*ing house, or I’ll blow your fuc*jng faces off.
    We sobered up toot sweet, and did our impression of Linford Christie and Usain Bolt !!
    Not gonna name names, but found out later that the guy was ex army and a bit of a local nutter.
    To this day, I think we got off lightly.
    He might have been a right-wing racist.

Must be best part of 30 years ago, when there was a knock on my front door. I opened the door and there was some biggish bloke there who asked" are you Hot Shot Hamish?" (Ok he called me by proper name). Just as I opened my mouth and said yes I realised he was holding a bloody shotgun. How I didn't crap myself on the spot I don't know.
    He reached in his pocket and pulled out a wallet and give it to me. Much to my relief he said he'd been up on the mountain behind my house rabbiting and had found this wallet with my name in.
    I'd been burgled a couple of weeks earlier and the toe rags had nicked all the cash and bank cards and just dumped the wallet. That's one of the only two moments in my life when I thought death was calling!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Prior to 2001, I had only ever touched an air-rifle and a sporting shotgun. However, I stayed with an American family for Christmas that year. When I told them this, one family member duly went to the garage and brought out two gun cases. The bigger case had a bolt action rifle and the smaller case contained two revolvers, one of which was quite sizeable. The rifle he proudly called it his "Deer Slayer" (Michigan state, they love their hunting).
    I had my photo taken holding the two revolvers, but I felt uneasy with them in my hands to be honest.
    What sort of revolvers? Were they vintage?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I have had the (mis)fortune to be on both end of this kind of incident.
    The incident when the 'gun' was pointed at my right temple was very scary. I was sitting in the driving seat of an estate car and there was a 9 mm pistol lying in plain view on the shelf just next to the steering column. The person holding the gun was a member of the RUC and the really scary bit was that he was clearly more scared than I was.
    But if you drove through Belfast (at some speed I might add) in the summer of '76 with 2 beer barrels in the back of an estate car, passing 2 police stations on your way I suppose you should really expect that kind of reaction.

On a pedantic note ( not that I ever am of course, they are not guns, they're weapons, or firearms or side arms, but never guns!!! As the old army expression explains, "Guns got wheels!"
    Why did you have a 9mm pistol in the car?

International

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Why did you have a 9mm pistol in the car?
    In case someone stopped me who wasn't a member of the RUC.

Not to my head,but i got shoot by my mate in the leg with an air sporter 22,still got the pellet there thanxs Geoff

Weird how only Matt got called out on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Blueblade was pulled by Rock Flock Five for having a gun pointed in each ear hole while taking a piss in a canal.

Its no drama, I can guess who it is, he loves the attention i give him, thus i havent bothered

Its a pretty random story, 100% true, amazing trip with loads of incidents, one of the best trips following the city

the same trip I saw a few more guns, when we were being shown around the army base while City were playing Standard Liege ( if you were involved, you will know what i mean ) they had guns on them aswell

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Its no drama, I can guess who it is, he loves the attention i give him, thus i havent bothered

Its a pretty random story, 100% true, amazing trip with loads of incidents, one of the best trips following the city

the same trip I saw a few more guns, when we were being shown around the army base while City were playing Standard Liege ( if you were involved, you will know what i mean ) they had guns on them aswell
    Just find it strange.

There are plenty of stories that people may not believe in this thread, I have no reason to doubt any of them, none of them are hugely unbelievable to be honest.

Just find it strange.

There are plenty of stories that people may not believe in this thread, I have no reason to doubt any of them, none of them are hugely unbelievable to be honest.
    I always take stories from the past at face value ( I love reading / hearing stories from Army days ) , what would anyone gain from making up random stories ?? if we are honest, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I always take stories from the past at face value ( I love reading / hearing stories from Army days ) , what would anyone gain from making up random stories ?? if we are honest, nothing
    I think we all have a million stories that would be laughed off the board if they were told.

I could write up stories of drunken weekends over the last 15 or so years that nobody would believe, yet I’ve got 10s of witnesses to corroborate them.. same as you have for your account of Belgium. **** em.

I think we all have a million stories that would be laughed off the board if they were told.

I could write up stories of drunken weekends over the last 15 or so years that nobody would believe, yet I’ve got 10s of witnesses to corroborate them.. same as you have for your account of Belgium. **** em.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    One of the characters from Splott/Tremorfa was threatened by some bloke in the Grosvenor one night, the bloke told him he was a martial arts expert, Jimmy replied “You’ll need a 40ft leg ‘cos I got a f*cking shotgun”.
    Bit of a face this Jimmy. Top man.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    I often think that the fact that the dumbed down generations have never handled , fired or possibly even seen a gun, still less been shot at, has a detrimental effect on their ability to be practical or have a sense of proportion.
    It's a difficult paradox, because I wouldn't like them to have to witness, risk or suffer wounds and death. Previous generations have though, and consequently developed a sense of reality and what's important which seems to be missing.
    I agree to a point. Those still alive from fighting in WWII are grounded in reality. Some of those born towards the end of that war and shortly after, who never knew what it was like to live through that war, let alone serve King and country, are a part of that dumbed down generation of know-it-alls whose prejudices are more important than facts. Not all, of course

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    What sort of revolvers? Were they vintage?
    Not really sure. The one I described as being sizeable was silver, with a mother-of-pearl handle, and had a barrel that seemed disproportionately bigger than the rest of the gun. I have no recollection of the smaller gun.