Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever had a gun held to your head?

Have you ever had a gun held to your head?

I have, twice.

The first time was on a train going through passport control in Slovakia, i was fast asleep and woke to a copper putting his gun at the side of my head asking if I was American!.....god knows what he would have done if I'd said yes.

The other time ,I got caught, mid flow, pissing in the canal in Amsterdam. 2 officers, came from nowhere, and put guns against my head from both sides. My only reasoning for my behaviour was that "I was British"...... they let me off !

Re: Have you ever had a gun held to your head?

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    I have, twice.

The first time was on a train going through passport control in Slovakia, i was fast asleep and woke to a copper putting his gun at the side of my head asking if I was American!.....god knows what he would have done if I'd said yes.

The other time ,I got caught, mid flow, pissing in the canal in Amsterdam. 2 officers, came from nowhere, and put guns against my head from both sides. My only reasoning for my behaviour was that "I was British"...... they let me off !
    I have not had a gun pointed against my head yet but they both sounds terrifying.

Thread rules: 5 points for cops, 10 points for not by cops.

Yes twice. 1st time many years ago, but was the Indian and the other guy was the cowboy that day!

2nd time about 10 years ago , got stopped for speeding in Florida , out car behind me lights up like a Xmas tree, with loudspeaker asking me to pullover. I stop and open the window and am faced with a State Trooper , pistol I hand. Asked where if I knew I was speeding, where was I from, have I got ID etc? I said I was a tourist , never been to the area before (blatant lie) and had no ID except for a credit card. He reminded me you have to have photo ID with you when driving, I didn't. He said my credit card "was hardly evidence of ID", I said "well I haven't got any then, what will happen?" He paused for a moment , put his gun away and said "F** Off"!

Absolutely true.

Been held up at gunpoint in South Africa (Camps Bay).
    The night Wales beat England in the rugby World Cup 2015.
    Had a lot of South Africans buying me drinks that night.
    Walking back to where I was staying, I took a wrong turn into the wrong apartment complex and the 2 security guards/police (canít remember which) there thought I was up to no good and pointed their pistols at me. I explained I was lost and they even gave me directions to where I wanted to go.
    I wouldíve shat myself but I already had in the nightclub I was in.

I've had lots of guns pointed and fired at me, but people don't usually put them next to your head in real life for several practical reasons. I don't think they shoot Americans in Slovakia you know - I'm guessing they were looking for a particular American.

Not quite, but stopped late at night in 1984, by the British Army on a country lane at a road block in bandit country (County Down) travelling back from an orange day parade evening Party to RAF Bishops Court (where we were staying), winding down the windows to flak jacketed balaclava clad blokes with guns was a bit of a brown trouser moment.

On safari in Kenya years ago and we were travelling across some disputed Masai territory.
    Didnt have weapons pointed at our head, but for our own safety on the journey we had to be accompanied by 2 guides carrying semiautomatic rifles.

No, but some crazy looking guy in Pill offered to sell me one years ago.

Fair to say the conversation didnít last long and I was soon marching up the street..

Many moons ago, me and my mate (we were both about 16/17), went to a house party in Ely.
    We werenít invited by the owner, we just tagged along with some other folk we knew who had been invited.
    The party was in full flow, and me and my mate were quite pissed. He was on the settee trying to chat up this older woman.
    It turned out it was the house owners wife, and with out warning, he just walked into the room, with what looked like a rifle. Not sure if it was a rifle, shotgun or pellet gun, but we both shat ourselves when he said ď you 2 have got 30 seconds to get out of my fuc*ing house, or Iíll blow your fuc*jng faces off.
    We sobered up toot sweet, and did our impression of Linford Christie and Usain Bolt !!
    Not gonna name names, but found out later that the guy was ex army and a bit of a local nutter.
    To this day, I think we got off lightly.

I often think that the fact that the dumbed down generations have never handled , fired or possibly even seen a gun, still less been shot at, has a detrimental effect on their ability to be practical or have a sense of proportion.
    It's a difficult paradox, because I wouldn't like them to have to witness, risk or suffer wounds and death. Previous generations have though, and consequently developed a sense of reality and what's important which seems to be missing.

As well as being held up at gun point, Iíve also had 2 missiles fired at a ship I was on and been under armed protection in certain countries such as Angola and Nigeria.
    Done my fair share of shooting practice too...but never in anger.

Does COD on the PlayStation count?

[QUOTE=The Bob Banker Spanker;5018657
    Done my fair share of shooting practice too...but never in anger.[/QUOTE]
    Have you been training with our strikers

No

Some bloke threatened to shoot me in a fried Chicken shop in Streatham,South London about 10 years ago,although he didn't produce a gun so i just carried on eating Chicken.

When we played standard liege in the cup winners cup in the early 90's, we backpacked around europe before the game, we were in Brussels and saw a black fella getting chased by some skinheads, so we gave chase and stopped them, challenged them and they shouted abuse at us and walked off, the guy was from Algeria and was really thankful to us , he insisted that we went back to he " community " for him to thank us, he said we could have the pick of any girl etc etc, we got to his car and he drove us to some area ( that at best was dodgy ) we end up in a " club " and go get a drink ( on the guy, free drinks for us all night ) turned out he was some gangster , we are having a good time and a laugh, then some Algerian decides as we were white we must die, pulls out some assault rifle and starts waving it around, then something happens outside and everyone pulls out guns and runs outside, turns out the skinheads are back and armed, a few shots were fired, we stayed in the club, the police arrive and we make our excuses and run

same trip, In Ostend, we were walking back from a night out and walk past a Polish guy, he must have felt threatened, so pulls out a hand gun and waves it around

2 gun incidents in one trip, mental

When I was working on the doors i saw a few hand guns, but never been fired at

One of the characters from Splott/Tremorfa was threatened by some bloke in the Grosvenor one night, the bloke told him he was a martial arts expert, Jimmy replied “You’ll need a 40ft leg ‘cos I got a f*cking shotgun”.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    When we played standard liege in the cup winners cup in the early 90's, we backpacked around europe before the game, we were in Brussels and saw a black fella getting chased by some skinheads, so we gave chase and stopped them, challenged them and they shouted abuse at us and walked off, the guy was from Algeria and was really thankful to us , he insisted that we went back to he " community " for him to thank us, he said we could have the pick of any girl etc etc, we got to his car and he drove us to some area ( that at best was dodgy ) we end up in a " club " and go get a drink ( on the guy, free drinks for us all night ) turned out he was some gangster , we are having a good time and a laugh, then some Algerian decides as we were white we must die, pulls out some assault rifle and starts waving it around, then something happens outside and everyone pulls out guns and runs outside, turns out the skinheads are back and armed, a few shots were fired, we stayed in the club, the police arrive and we make our excuses and run

same trip, In Ostend, we were walking back from a night out and walk past a Polish guy, he must have felt threatened, so pulls out a hand gun and waves it around

Couldn't be arsed reading all that, but can't wait until Netflix release a series on your life.

Didn't happen, let's be honest here Matt.

f**king hell

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    f**king hell
    I think Blue Matt is confusing himself with Heisenberg.

Quote Originally Posted by Do me a Faerber View Post
    Couldn't be arsed reading all that, but can't wait until Netflix release a series on your life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Do me a Faerber View Post
    Didn't happen, let's be honest here Matt.
    so you gave in and read it then, only took you 12 mins aswell tidy

so you gave in and read it then, only took you 12 mins aswell tidy
    Why did you make it up? Liege was 30 years ago, meaning you must be hitting 50 at least. Which part of your story is more convincing?

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    I often think that the fact that the dumbed down generations have never handled , fired or possibly even seen a gun, still less been shot at, has a detrimental effect on their ability to be practical or have a sense of proportion.
    It's a difficult paradox, because I wouldn't like them to have to witness, risk or suffer wounds and death. Previous generations have though, and consequently developed a sense of reality and what's important which seems to be missing.
    I donít need to have met a rapist to know that they are bad people.

Same goes for guns and the people that use them.

Nothing good has ever come from firearms .... and I include the use of arms by the military... in fact they are the biggest criminals of them all.

I feel sorry for anyone who is so easily lead that they think holding a gun makes them powerful. I feel sorry for previous generations, many of which were duped into killing and being killed.

It still happens unfortunately.

Soldiers have been duped into fighting wars since Ancient Rome and before that. The pages of history are littered with their bodies and their forgotten names. Each battle seemed vital to someone but most battles have been forgotten.
    Nonetheless such battles have often prevented worse things.
    I agree that war is wicked but the wicked have to be confronted and the tree of Liberty must be watered with blood.

In practical terms, holding a gun does make someone powerful you know- certainly more powerful than someone not holding one. Saying differently is some kind of romantic or theoretical platitude. The same could be said of a sword or an axe, and that's realism.

See, I think you kind of make my point with respect , because the plain truth is that it's hard for anyone to have a practical view of things they've only heard about. As you put it,," it still happens " , and when it does , what would be your answer to it ? If it was some talk about guns being bad, that wouldn't do much good.

There's another side to this though, which is what I was actually thinking about. If people think guns and wars only happen on news reports from distant countries or in movies, they can't appreciate how serious the potential consequences are of not protecting democracy and the rule of law

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    I have, twice.

The other time ,I got caught, mid flow, pissing in the canal in Amsterdam. 2 officers, came from nowhere, and put guns against my head from both sides. My only reasoning for my behaviour was that "I was British"...... they let me off!
    Both your accounts of personal gun incidents seem, well.. a bit far fetched; particularly the Amsterdam cops one. I'm not saying they didn't happen, but in the first case on the train, why did the officer feel the need to put the gun against your head? I mean, think about it.. you're sleeping and could have woken startled, moved your head, flayed an arm, which in turn could have triggered the gun going off! If he had tried shaking you with his free arm while holding the gun pointing at you, that might have been more understandable (although still OTT).
    Do you think he had a hatred of Americans, or perhaps as another poster pointed out, he was looking for a particular American? In which case I think he would more likely ask for ID first, rather than ask if you were American?

The Amsterdam situation was bizare in the extreme: not only did you have the misfortune to come across one rogue and out of control copper, but TWO! It's the kind of reaction you'd expect if you were an armed suspected terrorist - but a tourist having a leak in a canal? Those Dutch police carry mace, batons and tasers, yet both of them weighed up the situation and both came to the same decision that it needed them to draw their firearms and not only that.. put their guns to both sides of your head, such was the threat you posed whilst your zip was undone and you were busy peeing (I would say a common occurrence wherever there are lots of bars and canals)?

No. Besides on cops/army reserves, I have never even seen one. Long may it continue.

International

I have had the (mis)fortune to be on both end of this kind of incident.
    The incident when the 'gun' was pointed at my right temple was very scary. I was sitting in the driving seat of an estate car and there was a 9 mm pistol lying in plain view on the shelf just next to the steering column. The person holding the gun was a member of the RUC and the really scary bit was that he was clearly more scared than I was.
    But if you drove through Belfast (at some speed I might add) in the summer of '76 with 2 beer barrels in the back of an estate car, passing 2 police stations on your way I suppose you should really expect that kind of reaction.

On a pedantic note ( not that I ever am of course, they are not guns, they're weapons, or firearms or side arms, but never guns!!! As the old army expression explains, "Guns got wheels!"

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    No. Besides on cops/army reserves, I have never even seen one. Long may it continue.
    Prior to 2001, I had only ever touched an air-rifle and a sporting shotgun. However, I stayed with an American family for Christmas that year. When I told them this, one family member duly went to the garage and brought out two gun cases. The bigger case had a bolt action rifle and the smaller case contained two revolvers, one of which was quite sizeable. The rifle he proudly called it his "Deer Slayer" (Michigan state, they love their hunting).
    I had my photo taken holding the two revolvers, but I felt uneasy with them in my hands to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I have had the (mis)fortune to be on both end of this kind of incident.
    The incident when the 'gun' was pointed at my right temple was very scary. I was sitting in the driving seat of an estate car and there was a 9 mm pistol lying in plain view on the shelf just next to the steering column. The person holding the gun was a member of the RUC and the really scary bit was that he was clearly more scared than I was.
    But if you drove through Belfast (at some speed I might add) in the summer of '76 with 2 beer barrels in the back of an estate car, passing 2 police stations on your way I suppose you should really expect that kind of reaction.

On a pedantic note ( not that I ever am of course, they are not guns, they're weapons, or firearms or side arms, but never guns!!! As the old army expression explains, "Guns got wheels!"
    A old work mate of mine used to say the same thing " guns got wheels ", he did 2 tours of NI and was one of the 1st ashore in the Falklands, he never spoke about NI ( well apart from the beer games ), but had plenty of stories about the Falklands ( all good banter type stories )