Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
His last season with us was disappointing, he only played 3 times I think. He was released and went to Crewe for a year, was released from there and went to Gloucester City for a while> I think he finished with a year at Merthyr? I also thought he had a barber's shop before going in to the licensed trade. Like a lot of players who signed for us back then he stayed in the area. Gary Bell, Don Murray, Brian Harris, Brian Clark, Ronnie Bird, Bobby Woodruff.
I met Brian Clark at Wembley on a cup final day. He was in company with Lou Maccari and about four or five super names , ( maybe Kevin Keegan, not sure now but that kind of level ). Big Ron was certainly there. In any case, I was able to do him a small thing by pretending to be unclear about who the others were and entirely unimpressed , but make a beeline for him and make a massive fuss of asking whether he was Brian Clark as if he was royalty.
He went from being a supporting actor to the star of the show and he obviously loved it. I had a big chat with him and I'm pleased to tell you that he was a genuinely lovely man. Unfortunately I think he's passed on now , but his goal against Real Madrid will live on forever .
( imagine how star struck I'd have been if it'd have been Ronnie Bird). I also went into a pub in Chepstow or somewhere once and Brian Harris was the landlord.