+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rest in peace the fallen

Rest in peace the fallen

When the sun goes down , we will remember them

Re: Rest in peace the fallen

Yes we will

Good to see the silence observed at 11.00 am in the Canton RFC, what a generation, what sacrifices, hope they're never forgotten.

Should make Remembrance Day a national holiday. Other countries have national holidays where they remember those who sacrificed their lives for their countries.

It was my mother's funeral up Thornhill on Friday. We didn't get a priest to run the service with each family member doing their bit. I've posted on here before thst my great uncle, William, played in the same school football team as Fred Keenor. This got a mention in mum's obituary at the service as William was mortally wounded during his first night in the line in WW1. Fred, of course, went on to captain the Bluebirds in our 1927 FA Cup victory whilst William has a beautifully tended grave near Bapaume. As I put it in mum's obituary, had William survived, he may, just may have gone on to play for City. Who knows? We then sang "Abide With Me", remembering not just my mum and her uncle William, but all fallen family members. Not forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    It was my mother's funeral up Thornhill on Friday. We didn't get a priest to run the service with each family member doing their bit. I've posted on here before thst my great uncle, William, played in the same school football team as Fred Keenor. This got a mention in mum's obituary at the service as William was mortally wounded during his first night in the line in WW1. Fred, of course, went on to captain the Bluebirds in our 1927 FA Cup victory whilst William has a beautifully tended grave near Bapaume. As I put it in mum's obituary, had William survived, he may, just may have gone on to play for City. Who knows? We then sang "Abide With Me", remembering not just my mum and her uncle William, but all fallen family members. Not forgotten.
    My Great Grandfather died alongside Ninian Crichton-Stuart at the battle of Loos.

Sooner or later. We will have no veterans from WW2 left alive.
    A sad and sobering thought.
    That will become a time when we will all need to make an extra effort to remember all of them, and the very brave deeds they did for the future generations.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Sooner or later. We will have no veterans from WW2 left alive.
    A sad and sobering thought.
    That will become a time when we will all need to make an extra effort to remember all of them, and the very brave deeds they did for the future generations.
    A very true thought,i think it should be taught in schools how so many people died for freedom.