+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bonus season, what is this then?

Bonus season, what is this then?

Last season was a bonus season, right?

So what are we to make of this then? Bonus season for Colin, he's the only one making anything out of all this. Just glad the board are acting this week.

Re: Bonus season, what is this then?

Time is up. The team are heading absolutely nowhere.

Since the day we were promoted the club has been heading the wrong direction. Time for a fresh start.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Since the day we were promoted the club has been heading the wrong direction. Time for a fresh start.
    That needs to start with the board as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Of course it does. A club that spent last season being "grateful just to be here, pass the Sky money over please", have created a culture where losing and being noncompetitive was ok. Winning is not a tap that can be turned on and off. That goes to the top, with the owner.

The club were happy to accept relegation before we had even kicked a ball last season saying we were building a team to be competitive this season ......so here we are after 16 games 7 points from play offs and 8 from bottom 3 in a division that is very ordinary!
    Whether our manager leaves now or end of season, I think the board need to take a good look at themselves and rethink how they want the club to progress , with a long term strategy and playing style from youth to 1st team .. we can’t keep squandering money on players who don’t perform once we have signed them in particular strikers !!

What a poor interview Neil Warnock gave on SKY tv just now. It strikes me as he really doesn't know what to do next, very strange answers to questions and of course it was the referees fault we lost and actually we should have won...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    100%

Everyone has failed.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    The club were happy to accept relegation before we had even kicked a ball last season saying we were building a team to be competitive this season ......so here we are after 16 games 7 points from play offs and 8 from bottom 3 in a division that is very ordinary!
    Whether our manager leaves now or end of season, I think the board need to take a good look at themselves and rethink how they want the club to progress , with a long term strategy and playing style from youth to 1st team .. we can’t keep squandering money on players who don’t perform once we have signed them in particular strikers !!
    I agree, however on the striker front, the tactics we play any striker we play upfront is always going to be isolated, all we do is hit and hope

This is what happens when there is no leadership from the board. The manager has been free to run the club in his own short-term interests. Warnock has blown the budget on ordinary players on long contracts knowing if things don’t work out he can just move on. The next manager will have to try and sort out this Warnockball mess no doubt with a fraction of the budget the board allowed the current manager to squander.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    Last season was a bonus season, right?

So what are we to make of this then? Bonus season for Colin, he's the only one making anything out of all this. Just glad the board are acting this week.
    Enough is enough.

Last season was a "bonus" season, during which Colin and the club got away with blue murder.

This season, we are limping towards mid table safety with the club's owner absent, silent, and impotent. It isn't good enough for a club like ours, with a wealthy owner, to tread water. We all know where that leads and we all know the long term impact it can have on the club, its supporter base and its financial well being.

I am not saying that the club needs to spend millions on strikers. We've already done that on Gary Madine. I am also not saying that the club should go for broke. But, we have no clues as to where the board and owner see this club in 5 weeks time, let alone 5 years.

If you sack a manager, and bring a new manager in, at least give the new guy a fighting chance by letting him bring in players during a transfer window. Until Harris brings in his own players, he cannot be judged by anyone. Warnock's mismanagement hangs around his ankles like a ball and chain.

Is the club basically going to see out the next few months knowing that it isn't going up or going down? When does Harris begin rebuilding, now or 7 months after he became a manager? We know where this will lead. A crap last few months will put the fans on Harris' back. Harris makes some signings, the team takes a while to gel and now we have a new manager stuck with players signed by the previous manager.

How can we go forward when we don't know which way we're facing?

The club is officially in a malaise, and it needs refreshing from owner down to kit man. There is a stench of rising damp in the air and like all shit landlords, ours is absent.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'm not sure the turning point was that early, was it?

We were in reasonable shape for quite a bit of that season. I remember an article about half-way through last season which explained why we were in 14th and looking a good contender for survival. It was basically saying that we were doing well against the teams we needed to beat, which at that time was true. Like all of us, I'd like to have seen us have a proper go in more of the games last season, but we would have had to find an entire new squad to try to out-football most teams so it was never really a viable option. I don't have an issue with the way we approached last season- we basically gave the squad a go at doing it themselves playing the way that got them promoted, and didn't spend huge sums, which I think was generally considered to be a sensible approach. When we were preparing for the prem, the view was that we were doing so with half a mind to fighting for promotion again the next season, and signings like Murphy, Reid etc were generally considered to be quite shrewd from that perspective.

The problem was with the way we finished it (Watford, Burnley, Fulham, Palace) and the way we approached this season. The general consensus was that we still had most of the players that got us up last time around and that we'd added to that with Murphy and Reid. I don't think anyone really appreciated just how much we over-achieved in getting promotion last time, and/or the effect that another year of wear and tear had had on the squad. And of course we were still without a striker which seems to have been CCFC policy since Dave Jones left. And then we lose Gunnarsson (and of course Arter and Camasara - basically our central midfield); Zohore, Reid, Manga, and have replaced them generally with players who aren't up to the grade in Flint, Pack, Glatzel etc. All of a sudden we are left with the weaker part of the promotion squad, and the new players brought in drag the standard down (at a huge price) rather than push it up.

In any event as you say - time for a fresh start.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I'm not sure the turning point was that early, was it?

We were in reasonable shape for quite a bit of that season. I remember an article about half-way through last season which explained why we were in 14th and looking a good contender for survival. It was basically saying that we were doing well against the teams we needed to beat, which at that time was true. Like all of us, I'd like to have seen us have a proper go in more of the games last season, but we would have had to find an entire new squad to try to out-football most teams so it was never really a viable option. I don't have an issue with the way we approached last season- we basically gave the squad a go at doing it themselves playing the way that got them promoted, and didn't spend huge sums, which I think was generally considered to be a sensible approach. When we were preparing for the prem, the view was that we were doing so with half a mind to fighting for promotion again the next season, and signings like Murphy, Reid etc were generally considered to be quite shrewd from that perspective.

The problem was with the way we finished it (Watford, Burnley, Fulham, Palace) and the way we approached this season. The general consensus was that we still had most of the players that got us up last time around and that we'd added to that with Murphy and Reid. I don't think anyone really appreciated just how much we over-achieved in getting promotion last time, and/or the effect that another year of wear and tear had had on the squad. And of course we were still without a striker which seems to have been CCFC policy since Dave Jones left. And then we lose Gunnarsson (and of course Arter and Camasara - basically our central midfield); Zohore, Reid, Manga, and have replaced them generally with players who aren't up to the grade in Flint, Pack, Glatzel etc. All of a sudden we are left with the weaker part of the promotion squad, and the new players brought in drag the standard down (at a huge price) rather than push it up.

In any event as you say - time for a fresh start.
    Hard to argue with much of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    The club is officially in a malaise, and it needs refreshing from owner down to kit man. There is a stench of rising damp in the air and like all shit landlords, ours is absent.
    Yes

we won 10 of the 38 games last season

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    we won 10 of the 38 games last season
    And?