+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smithies a tad unlucky to lose his place ??

Smithies a tad unlucky to lose his place ??

Apart from his 1st game when he seemed a little rusty I thought he hadn't put a foot wrong afterwards. I also think Etheridge isn't quite pulling off the saves you'd normally expect him to make. Should he have saved today's goal ? Maybe..

Re: Smithies a tad unlucky to lose his place ??

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Apart from his 1st game when he seemed a little rusty I thought he hadn't put a foot wrong afterwards. I also think Etheridge isn't quite pulling off the saves you'd normally expect him to make. Should he have saved today's goal ? Maybe..
    Today was Etheridge's worst with his distribution for some time as well.

Anyone think Etheridge should’ve saved that goal?

Yes absolutely. Looked not too far away from him.

Took a deflection off flint looks like etheridge was covering where the shot was going but the deflection pu paid to that

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Anyone think Etheridge should’ve saved that goal?

Yes absolutely. Looked not too far away from him.
    Seemed like Tomlin was making that point to him, although I might be mistaken

Etheridge had a mare with his kicking but not sure if it was his fault for the goal. It so poor defensively, not many tracking back so they created the extra man and then the defence were scared of getting drawn out so didn’t close Brownhill down. It was a good strike tbf but so much easier when you’re under no pressure.

His distribution hurts us. I feel Smithies is a more rounded keeper than Etheridge, whilst Etheridge has fantastic shot stopping he is questionable everywhere else. Wonder how strong the interest in him was over the summer, feels like we missed an opportunity to make a tidy sum.

I've just seen the goal back, Etheridge has to do better for me

Etheridge always looks nervous, thought he would have grown out of that by now.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I've just seen the goal back, Etheridge has to do better for me
    Yep, that was my impression also..

Definitely could have done better, unfortunately like many other players at the moment no where near at his best.

It’s like the last time we had two good keepers Marshall and Heaton and we let the wrong one go on a free? I think one will leave in January but which one? Probably the one we get the biggest bid for?

We have been a better team with Smithies in goal this season. Etheridge's kicking is so bad that it actively hurts us and the rest of his game isn't good enough to make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    His distribution hurts us. I feel Smithies is a more rounded keeper than Etheridge, whilst Etheridge has fantastic shot stopping he is questionable everywhere else. Wonder how strong the interest in him was over the summer, feels like we missed an opportunity to make a tidy sum.
    No club is going to pay big money for Etheridge when he can't kick the ball properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    It’s like the last time we had two good keepers Marshall and Heaton and we let the wrong one go on a free? I think one will leave in January but which one? Probably the one we get the biggest bid for?
    Smithies is the better player, so no doubt we'll end up letting him go.

Of course Etheridge could have done better, he could have saved it. We could have defended it better too. I think it would be harsh to blame Etheridge though. It was a hell of a strike, and the ball dipped a lot.

People are pissed if they think he should have saved that. It was dipping and moving all over the place.

His distribution is questionable, yes, but he’s an excellent shot stopper.

If youre looking for a scapegoat look no further than the dinosaur in the dugout.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    People are pissed if they think he should have saved that. It was dipping and moving all over the place.

His distribution is questionable, yes, but he’s an excellent shot stopper.

If youre looking for a scapegoat look no further than the dinosaur in the dugout.
    I agree, the ball dipped and swerved, Etheridge wasn’t at fault for the goal

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    We have been a better team with Smithies in goal this season. Etheridge's kicking is so bad that it actively hurts us and the rest of his game isn't good enough to make up for it.
    His kicking is hurting us? How about the kicking of the other 10? That’s not too clever either.

Look at Etheridge's goal scoring record,It's there for all to sse

CardiffCitySince1927

I was behind the ball when it was hit, and it dipped severely at the last second. It was as if Brownhill slammed an air ball really.

But put this in comparison, 33% of the goals we have conceded while Smithies was in net were his fault.

And if we are commenting about the shocking kicking of our goalkeepers, Etheridge was the better of the two!

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    But put this in comparison, 33% of the goals we have conceded while Smithies was in net were his fault.
    Opinion or stat?

Smithies distribution is far superior to Etheridge NQAT

Etheridge has been poor imo and I’d feel better with Smithies playing. He was getting better every game..

More than a tad. How he kept his position after his performance at Swansea I will never know.