+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there anyone on here that will still defend Warnock?

Re: Is there anyone on here that will still defend Warnock?

I also do not want to see him get another transfer window or waste any more cash.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Nonsense.

When Warnock arrived, City were a side drained of confidence who were playing poorly, but they weren't relegation certainties by any stretch of the imagination. Indeed, when he took over Cardiff were two points behind Derby and Villa, who were 18th and 19th in the table. They ended the season five points behind Derby, who finished 9th, and level on points with Villa, who finished 13th.

Warnock undoubtedly did well to galvanise an under-performing side, but what he effectively did in 2016/17 was turn a team that should have been mid-table into a team that was mid-table. It was good work but it was no miracle. He inherited a squad that included the likes of Morrison, Manga, Peltier, Bennett, Gunnarsson, Ralls, Zohore, Harris, Whittingham and Pilkington. Relegation certainties they were not.
    Glad to see you post that Dave because it needed to be said. We were barely into October when Trollope left, so there were over one hundred points still to play for - I certainly wouldn't knock Warnock for what he did in his first season with us, but what he did at Rotherham in keeping them up deserves praise, all he did here was get a side playing to something like their potential.

All credit to our manager for the 17/18 promotion, but some of the stuff on here about the season which followed that almost reads as if we over achieved by getting relegated! As for this season, there is no way that we should be in a position where we are sat in fourteenth position arguably a few places higher in the league than our performance levels merit given the advantages we have over most sides in the division - I'd like to think Neil Warnock would agree if he was being honest with himself.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Well said Sludge completely agree, what a fickle lot of fans we have
    Why do people use the word "fickle" on here so much? I gave it some consideration and then I changed my mind. What's wrong with that?

Am I supposed to think something is good when it isn't to avoid someone I don't know using the word fickle on an internet messageboard? I stick by Cardiff City, not the manager, the owner or even the players. Supporting someone doing a terrible job because they previously did something good is ill-advised. Especially when they show no signs of ever being good again.

Why do people use the word "fickle" on here so much? I gave it some consideration and then I changed my mind. What's wrong with that?

Am I supposed to think something is good when it isn't to avoid someone I don't know using the word fickle on an internet messageboard? I stick by Cardiff City, not the manager, the owner or even the players. Supporting someone doing a terrible job because they previously did something good is ill-advised. Especially when they show no signs of ever being good again.
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Nonsense.

When Warnock arrived, City were a side drained of confidence who were playing poorly, but they weren't relegation certainties by any stretch of the imagination. Indeed, when he took over Cardiff were two points behind Derby and Villa, who were 18th and 19th in the table. They ended the season five points behind Derby, who finished 9th, and level on points with Villa, who finished 13th.

Warnock undoubtedly did well to galvanise an under-performing side, but what he effectively did in 2016/17 was turn a team that should have been mid-table into a team that was mid-table. It was good work but it was no miracle. He inherited a squad that included the likes of Morrison, Manga, Peltier, Bennett, Gunnarsson, Ralls, Zohore, Harris, Whittingham and Pilkington. Relegation certainties they were not.
    I beg to differ

In my opinion we were heading for league one before Warnock arrived

He pulled this club up by it's bootstraps

You have never liked Warnock if we are being honest

I say let him keep us steady till he retired and then look forwards

Perhaps you could step up and take over ?

I know this is all semantics but I just think we need to take a moment to breathe sometimes and get a bit of perspective.

You've said that Warnock is doing a 'terrible' job and snows 'no signs of ever being good again'.

I don't think that's the case. There's every chance we can turn things around with a couple of good results - we're currently two wins off the play-offs.

I notice with a lot of fans (not just City fans), there is a tendency to write someone off as 'sh!te'. Elsewhere in this thread, there's talk about how 'sh!t' we are, how we play 'sh!te' football.

We're currently the 34th best team in England and Wales. We're not 'sh!t'. I watch plenty of Championship football and there are plenty of teams that don't look so good if you take time to watch a whole match rather than 90 seconds of highlights on QUEST every week.

Don't say 'sh!t' when you mean 'disappointing' otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really 'sh!t'!!

My view has always been I don't like the way we play, but I'll, reluctantly, put up with Warnockball if we're winning. Once we stopped doing that, I started criticising and saying what I really think - I think that could be called fickle, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Sensible View Post
    I know this is all semantics but I just think we need to take a moment to breathe sometimes and get a bit of perspective.

You've said that Warnock is doing a 'terrible' job and snows 'no signs of ever being good again'.

I don't think that's the case. There's every chance we can turn things around with a couple of good results - we're currently two wins off the play-offs.

I notice with a lot of fans (not just City fans), there is a tendency to write someone off as 'sh!te'. Elsewhere in this thread, there's talk about how 'sh!t' we are, how we play 'sh!te' football.

We're currently the 34th best team in England and Wales. We're not 'sh!t'. I watch plenty of Championship football and there are plenty of teams that don't look so good if you take time to watch a whole match rather than 90 seconds of highlights on QUEST every week.

Don't say 'sh!t' when you mean 'disappointing' otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really 'sh!t'!!
    We definitely play shite football.

Although there are broadly 2 differing viewpoints in this thread, I think both are correct. We aren't going anywhere with Warnock and I think everybody yearns for a different approach - better football, more prudence in the transfer market, and ideally a young[er] more progressive manager. Yet I'd certainly wait until the end of the season, or at least until safety/missing play offs are a certainty.

Let's not forget on Saturday we were without Ralls, and our best [in my opinion] defensive pairing of Bamba and Morrison..

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Sensible View Post

Who said anything about shit? The basis of my statement was that it's better to judge on the present and potential for the future instead of the past. However, specifically, I think that Warnock has done a terrible job of recruitment, tactics and game management over the last two seasons and I see no reason for that to change. Of course, there's a chance to turn it around, we're only a third of the way into the season. But chances have to be realized and I think it would be foolish to think someone that has been squandering them for the past 2 seasons is about to do any different.