+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Long Time Supporters - Football Kits

CardiffCitySince1927

Long Time Supporters - Football Kits

When did the club change from cotton kits to polymer kits?
    What was the 1970s yellow and white striped kit polymer or cotton?

CardiffCitySince1927

Re: Long Time Supporters - Football Kits

Anyone remember?

My memory is sketchy but I'm sure it was 1983. I seem to remember City shirts were cotton up until then?

I'm sure someone will put me right.

When I first watched them they played in skins dyed with woad, using a human head for a ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    My memory is sketchy but I'm sure it was 1983. I seem to remember City shirts were cotton up until then?

I'm sure someone will put me right.
    I reckon it was almost 10 years before that. The first one I really remember was the England admiral kit with the blue and red stripes on the arm and that was 1974

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    When did the club change from cotton kits to polymer kits?
    What was the 1970s yellow and white striped kit polymer or cotton?
    The white and yellow striped kit of the 70's (75 was it?) Alston and Tony Evans kit I remember was definitely cotton.
    As SOOCanton said, they were probably introduced before that time but were not standard issue.

As I recall, from at least 1975 the kits were synthetic fabric. Those blue and yellow striped kits were the first actual city kits you could buy. Up until then most kits were just generic colours with a sew-on badge. For instance, I remember getting a load of hand-me-downs and the so-called Man Utd shirt was just the same as a Liverpool shirt. Shorts were just plain in those days. I also got Arsenal, West Ham and Palace shirts. (the kid I got them from was a right spoiled bastard) They were indentfiable by the colours. Although, I'm not sure if the West Ham kit could have been substited for Villa or Burnley. I remember Umbro selling full kits called "Umbrosets". Everything was just like a real kit, the socks , shorts and badge were just like the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    As I recall, from at least 1975 the kits were synthetic fabric. Those blue and yellow striped kits were the first actual city kits you could buy. Up until then most kits were just generic colours with a sew-on badge. For instance, I remember getting a load of hand-me-downs and the so-called Man Utd shirt was just the same as a Liverpool shirt. Shorts were just plain in those days. I also got Arsenal, West Ham and Palace shirts. (the kid I got them from was a right spoiled bastard) They were indentfiable by the colours. Although, I'm not sure if the West Ham kit could have been substited for Villa or Burnley. I remember Umbro selling full kits called "Umbrosets". Everything was just like a real kit, the socks , shorts and badge were just like the real thing.
    This is my recollection too.

I remember getting the West Ham kit for Christmas (must have been 1974). It was the mainly blue kit with the 2 claret horizontal stripes and claret cuffs and neck. It was acrylic - I still have it 🤣

All the others up until that England Kit in 1973/74 were the same universal heavy cotton ones with nothing really to identify them. One day you were Cardiff City the next Everton. I know I had a red one, a blue one and an orange one with white cuffs and collars

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I reckon it was almost 10 years before that. The first one I really remember was the England admiral kit with the blue and red stripes on the arm and that was 1974
    Yeah you're right but I was being City specific

I remember the City iconic band kit being cotton (worn by the players) then the proceeding all blue Umbro Top being cotton. Think the 83 kit had a shiny quality.

Being a boring geeky tw@t the Admiral kits were ahead of their time and used Aertex (for the players/clubs) and I think it was developed for England to use at Mexico. There was a decent documentary about Admiral on a few years ago which is worth a watch.

Yeah you're right but I was being City specific

I remember the City iconic band kit being cotton (worn by the players) then the proceeding all blue Umbro Top being cotton. Think the 83 kit had a shiny quality.

Being a boring geeky tw@t the Admiral kits were ahead of their time and used Aertex (for the players/clubs) and I think it was developed for England to use at Mexico. There was a decent documentary about Admiral on a few years ago which is worth a watch.
    The Aertex kit for Mexico was Umbro.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The Aertex kit for Mexico was Umbro.
    Cheers butt, I stand corrected

I still remember City's kit being cotton up until 80/81. I've probably got that wrong mind.

Old age and bucket loads of substances may have distorted the memory.

Cheers butt, I stand corrected

I still remember City's kit being cotton up until 80/81. I've probably got that wrong mind.

Old age and bucket loads of substances may have distorted the memory.
    I started the comp in 1976 and I can remember seeing plenty of those city kits, yellow ones too. In my recollection, they were all synthetic material. Kind of a thick knit with a lattice pattern. The only ones I've ever seen in cotton are the Toffs ones. In my mind, they were a slightly darker blue as well. The away kit was a pale yellow.