+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would relegation be the end of the world?

Would relegation be the end of the world?

We're one of only 19 sides since our promotion in 2003 to have never been outside the top 2 divisions. Sides like Leicester, Wolves, Norwich and Southampton have had their troubles but relegation to the third tier has helped clear out the dead wood and focus a new way, a new identity and different approach.

Re: Would relegation be the end of the world?

Was going to lambest this post but actually makes a lot of sense.

It works for some, but it didn't work out so well for Blackpool, Oldham, Portsmouth and Coventry. And considering how long we spent in the bottom two divisions and how poor our attendances were back then, I wouldn't fancy it.

No but some have struggled to get back up, including Sunderland at the moment. Judging by their documentary there would be a loss of revenue and job losses at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It works for some, but it didn't work out so well for Blackpool, Oldham, Portsmouth and Coventry. And considering how long we spent in the bottom two divisions and how poor our attendances were back then, I wouldn't fancy it.
    Of course. There are no guarantees in football. In particular I don't think our board would have a clue what to do if we went down.

Never the end of the world but I don't think it should be some weird version of the Burnley model.

Not happening anyway, comfortably mid table will be our minimum and probably maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We're one of only 19 sides since our promotion in 2003 to have never been outside the top 2 divisions. Sides like Leicester, Wolves, Norwich and Southampton have had their troubles but relegation to the third tier has helped clear out the dead wood and focus a new way, a new identity and different approach.
    We don't need to go down for change. It would be awful.

Most ridiculous suggestion I've heard

Wasn’t this said last season by some ? A case of careful what you ask for methinks !
    IMO ..... yes it would hurt us , job cuts at club, drop in attendances, etc ,etc.

We can rebuild from here , it’s going to be a big job as we need to re assess the direction of the club off and on the pitch ... the one thing last years relegation gave us is 2 parachute payments...so let’s use them wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Wasn’t this said last season by some ? A case of careful what you ask for methinks !
    IMO ..... yes it would hurt us , job cuts at club, drop in attendances, etc ,etc.

We can rebuild from here , it’s going to be a big job as we need to re assess the direction of the club off and on the pitch ... the one thing last years relegation gave us is 2 parachute payments...so let’s use them wisely.
    I think your first paragraph points to the flaw in Eric's plan. As for parachute payments, it's still too early to say for certain that the first one has been wasted, but we're not far away from the point when we say the second one must not be bungled like the first one was.

We're very much a mid-table team. I think the issue is not "are we going down?", its "for how many seasons will be stuck in the same league position?".

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post

When people were talking about an instant return to the Premier League as a reason for Warnock to stay, I did mention that there was as much of a chance for a relegated team to drop further down to League Two, as there was for them going back up again. I was in a smaller group advocation for a new manager and the rebuilding of the team with a long-term plan, as we have seen in the past that when things start going wrong for relegated teams it can all spin out of control very quickly. The main problem was Warnock being in charge of player recruitment when everybody knew he was only going to be here for one more season, and the can has just been kicked a bit further down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Most ridiculous suggestion I've heard
    Given some of yours, that's some achievement!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We don't need to go down for change. It would be awful.
    On the flip side, the club might not think there's need for changes unless they are forced.

I'm not championing getting relegated btw. It's just an angle for discussion and it's brought some interesting points.

I think we are the sort of club that would be down there for 10 years and really struggle to get back.

Also after relegation the "normal" staff are the ones who suffer so it definitely wouldn't be an option I'd choose.

no i would not want a relegation at all... this is a very competitive division, and i agree we need to be competitive to remain within it... like many fans im not happy at the moment but never a dull moment being a city fan is it

We'd be down there for years

Relegation would not be the end of the world. It is 'only football' after all.

It would be a disaster for the club though. There is no upside to relegation.

Relegation has only helped one club improve as far as I know and that was Manchester United in 1974. They came straight back with a very strong team. Relegation worked for them because they had a lot of loyal fans and a ruthless manager. Sunderland thought they would be straight back to the Premiership. Look at them now. Relegation would be a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    no i would not want a relegation at all... this is a very competitive division, and i agree we need to be competitive to remain within it... like many fans im not happy at the moment but never a dull moment being a city fan is it
    But isn’t the fact that we are looking down the barrel of a dull season full of dull moments exactly the problem?

Here is what I would be doing if I ran the club:

1) get searching for a director of football that wants to play football that the fans want to see. We are actually quite a simple bunch. We don’t expect total football and are happy enough with a more direct approach, but we do expect lots of effort.

2) recruit him ASAP, even during the season.

3) get that guy or girl to identify a manager. Tell warnock that this is underway.

4) leave warnock in charge until relegation is no longer a realistic possibility. No new players allowed unless short term loans to cover injuries. Contract renewals to be discussed with director of football not warnock.

5) assuming that is with at least 10 games to go, ask new manager if he would rather take over at the end of the season, or have the back end of the current one to effectively trial our existing squad for his new one.

I know it’s very early but this season is dead. Performances to date aren’t good enough to challenge for promotion and there has been no real suggestion that we’ve got another gear. On the pitch we should see it out to a comfortable mid table finish and concentrate on transition to a sustainable football strategy that the manager fits into rather than dictating.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    Relegation has only helped one club improve as far as I know and that was Manchester United in 1974. They came straight back with a very strong team. Relegation worked for them because they had a lot of loyal fans and a ruthless manager. Sunderland thought they would be straight back to the Premiership. Look at them now. Relegation would be a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    But isn’t the fact that we are looking down the barrel of a dull season full of dull moments exactly the problem?

Here is what I would be doing if I ran the club:

1) get searching for a director of football that wants to play football that the fans want to see. We are actually quite a simple bunch. We don’t expect total football and are happy enough with a more direct approach, but we do expect lots of effort.

2) recruit him ASAP, even during the season.

3) get that guy or girl to identify a manager. Tell warnock that this is underway.

4) leave warnock in charge until relegation is no longer a realistic possibility. No new players allowed unless short term loans to cover injuries. Contract renewals to be discussed with director of football not warnock.

5) assuming that is with at least 10 games to go, ask new manager if he would rather take over at the end of the season, or have the back end of the current one to effectively trial our existing squad for his new one.

I know it’s very early but this season is dead. Performances to date aren’t good enough to challenge for promotion and there has been no real suggestion that we’ve got another gear. On the pitch we should see it out to a comfortable mid table finish and concentrate on transition to a sustainable football strategy that the manager fits into rather than dictating.
    Good plan with one big problem, as much as I appreciate ITs running of the club he is after all a business man that has stated he does NOT fall in love with his businesses all are for sale at the right price.
    I believe he is probably clearing the debt to sell at some point so is not really interested in long term fixes.Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by lennybluebird View Post
    Good plan with one big problem, as much as I appreciate ITs running of the club he is after all a business man that has stated he does NOT fall in love with his businesses all are for sale at the right price.
    I believe he is probably clearing the debt to sell at some point so is not really interested in long term fixes.Just my opinion.
    Probably not far off the truth.
    VT seems to have less affection for us now than he had in the early days and is concentrating on other businesses.
    Our problem is that the passive attitude towards success seems to be filtering downwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Agree.

It would be the end of the world for the staff who would inevitably lose their jobs, and I don't mean the high earners like Warnock and co. Also from a footballing perspective I agree we'd be down there for years