+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ambition ?

Re: Ambition ?

January 2019: Cardiff City break their transfer record to sign a striker to help them stay in the premier league
    Summer 2019: Cardiff City are amongst the top spenders in the division including a whopping £6 million on a CB in order to get promoted back to the premier league

How are we judging ambition? If we hire a forward thinking reserve manager are we showing ambition because that's what Huddersfield did, as part of a wider plan, and reaped the rewards but if we did that I have no doubt there would be complaints based on them currently being a reserve manager only. Leicester have been touted as an ambitious club but many of their fans were not impressed with hiring of Ranieri, were not impressed with hiring of Shakespeare, were not impressed with hiring of Puel and yet each of these have played a role in Leicester's ambitious plans now coming to the fore with Rogers.

The new manager won't be able to change the style of play immediately, even Klopp and Pep have taken a number of transfer windows to achieve that, so we're unlikely to see any real shoots of progress until the end of this season. We're talking about a longer term plan on here, a DoF is called for weekly, so will be interesting to see who is going to be patient enough to see any benefits of it.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    January 2019: Cardiff City break their transfer record to sign a striker to help them stay in the premier league
    Summer 2019: Cardiff City are amongst the top spenders in the division including a whopping £6 million on a CB in order to get promoted back to the premier league

How are we judging ambition? If we hire a forward thinking reserve manager are we showing ambition because that's what Huddersfield did, as part of a wider plan, and reaped the rewards but if we did that I have no doubt there would be complaints based on them currently being a reserve manager only. Leicester have been touted as an ambitious club but many of their fans were not impressed with hiring of Ranieri, were not impressed with hiring of Shakespeare, were not impressed with hiring of Puel and yet each of these have played a role in Leicester's ambitious plans now coming to the fore with Rogers.

The new manager won't be able to change the style of play immediately, even Klopp and Pep have taken a number of transfer windows to achieve that, so we're unlikely to see any real shoots of progress until the end of this season. We're talking about a longer term plan on here, a DoF is called for weekly, so will be interesting to see who is going to be patient enough to see any benefits of it.
    I was calling for Warnock to go so a new manager could have this season to work with the team, look at what he’s got and look at what he needs as well come January (depending on position they may decide not to buy) and allow him time to plan for the summer, where he will get a full pre season after hopefully having a few months to plan for it. I agree we won’t see huge changes to the play style but a move away from the bombarding of the box and 2 big CBs up for every single set piece along with aimless hoofs forward (still see that Ralls ball in the last 10 of the Swansea game shudder)

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I was calling for Warnock to go so a new manager could have this season to work with the team, look at what he’s got and look at what he needs as well come January (depending on position they may decide not to buy) and allow him time to plan for the summer, where he will get a full pre season after hopefully having a few months to plan for it. I agree we won’t see huge changes to the play style but a move away from the bombarding of the box and 2 big CBs up for every single set piece along with aimless hoofs forward (still see that Ralls ball in the last 10 of the Swansea game shudder)
    Fair enough. My argument thus far has been that I think the board need a year to identify the right manager and set up the changes to the football structure off the field to allow him to succeed, but Warnock being allowed to leave in November suggests the club didn't actually need a year and therefore potentially could have followed your plan more closely.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Fair enough. My argument thus far has been that I think the board need a year to identify the right manager and set up the changes to the football structure off the field to allow him to succeed, but Warnock being allowed to leave in November suggests the club didn't actually need a year and therefore potentially could have followed your plan more closely.
    To clarify I mean now, and not at the start of the season, sorry.

Once we knew Warnock wasn’t up to it and the football progressively got worse I knew it was time, and I am happy to write off a promotion push this year for the right manager (not some Warnock mini) to come in and get the time to make it work, because it will take time, like you’ve pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    To clarify I mean now, and not at the start of the season, sorry.

Once we knew Warnock wasn’t up to it and the football progressively got worse I knew it was time, and I am happy to write off a promotion push this year for the right manager (not some Warnock mini) to come in and get the time to make it work, because it will take time, like you’ve pointed out.
    But do you see Harris as the answer ? The man to develop a 3-5 year plan, re-structure the youth development and encourage the right quality of players to join the club. I don’t want to undermine any new appointment but given the circumstances, the board still seem to think of the club as a lower division entity.

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    You could be correct about insurance but I can"t see that having to pay £5 million a year for 3 years is that severe a financial drain on us.
    What about his wage? Addons? Liable?

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    But do you see Harris as the answer ? The man to develop a 3-5 year plan, re-structure the youth development and encourage the right quality of players to join the club. I don’t want to undermine any new appointment but given the circumstances, the board still seem to think of the club as a lower division entity.
    I won’t be watching us again if we go with someone that underwhelming. Club be giving themselves a huge mountain to climb with the fans I think if they go that route.

Would certainly take a long time and a very good run to change quite a few opinions if that’s who they decide on.

Big chance here to make a smart move, I hope they take all the time they need to get it right.

I won’t be watching more hoofball.

Half the time no one who’s shoes going to fit.

Look at some of Swansea’s past managers. I’ve laughed at most and they’ve turned out alright

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    We have a rich owner.
    Don’t think that matters these days when it’s a business