+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ambition ?

Ambition ?

Does this club really have no ambition ?
    We are fairly well supported averaging well over 20,000 attendances in the championship.
    We are a fair sized capital city.
    We have a modern stadium.
    We have a rich owner.
    We have the premier league parachute payments.
    Why then are we looking at cheap totally uninspiring options for our new manager ?

Re: Ambition ?

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    We are fairly well supported averaging well over 20,000 attendances in the championship.
    We have a rich owner.
    Why then are we looking at cheap totally uninspiring options for our new manager ?
    That figure will inevitably reduce next season. When fans bought their season tickets for this season there was still a chance that we would stay in the Premier League.

It will still be the high teens though, won"t it ?
    Attendances are only part of the picture anyway.
    We should be showing more ambition in the manager we are looking to bring in as far as I am concerned.

It will still be the high teens though, won"t it ? No
    Attendances are only part of the picture anyway.
    We should be showing more ambition in the manager we are looking to bring in as far as I am concerned.
    Not a jot of it in my opinion.

Maybe I'm putting two and two together and getting five, but looking at the type of candidate we're being associated with and the likelihood that we're going to have to pay all of the Sala fee, this is beginning to look like another Slade, balance the books, type appointment. If it is, then I think the supporters have a right to expect a pretty detailed explanation from the club as to why this should be when you consider the amount of money that has come into the club since promotion and we still have another year of parachute payments to come.

Do you think that there is no insurance cover for Sala then, surely not ?

Even if there is no cover surely £15 million over 3 years does not make or break us ?

Even if there is no cover surely £15 million over 3 years does not make or break us ?
    Aren't we getting something like £10m back for Reid next yr ?

Well, you wouldn't have thought it would, but might it be that the club is pursuing the matter like they are because they know that the insurance company might not be prepared to cough up given the circumstances behind the crash? I'm probably jumping to wrong conclusions, but I'm afraid that's the way my mind works when I see messages being posted about how Harris did well on a small budget at Millwall.

You could be correct about insurance but I can"t see that having to pay £5 million a year for 3 years is that severe a financial drain on us.

It might well be that an insurance company is pulling the strings on this, thereby forcing the club’s hand.

I wonder if Sheffield United fans accused their board of lacking ambition when they appointed Chris Wilder from Northampton Town 3 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I wonder if Sheffield United fans accused their board of lacking ambition when they appointed Chris Wilder from Northampton Town 3 years ago?
    They didn't, they recognised one of their own who had a track record of success.

They were in League One at the time and Wilder has just won the League Two title with Northampton.

I’m sure most of the money for Bobby Reid will be still owed to Bristol City. Whilst the £15m for Sala shouldn’t break the bank, there comes a point when the owner, having bankrolled 2 promotions to the premier league which saw us relegated pretty convincingly, must surely question whether this a project worth pursuing

This is it. Until the person is in the job you don't know how it will work out

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    I’m sure most of the money for Bobby Reid will be still owed to Bristol City. Whilst the £15m for Sala shouldn’t break the bank, there comes a point when the owner, having bankrolled 2 promotions to the premier league which saw us relegated pretty convincingly, must surely question whether this a project worth pursuing
    Shouldn"t that actually show him that he & his board have employed the wrong manger at the time as the constant in those situations was not the manager ?

We have a rich owner.

I don't know why you say that. The main candidates seem to be Neil Harris or Bowyer with the possibility of Hughton - they're all very credible choices

Does the thought of Neil Harris or Chris Houghton actually fill you with excitement ?
    Harris is a cheap option & would mean more dire football.
    Houghton, no idea, but I can"t see the club being prepared to pay the sort of wage he would want nor give him the funds he would want.
    Both totally uninspiring IMO.

Does the thought of Neil Harris or Chris Houghton actually fill you with excitement ?
    Harris is a cheap option & would mean more dire football.
    Houghton, no idea, but I can"t see the club being prepared to pay the sort of wage he would want nor give him the funds he would want.
    Both totally uninspiring IMO.
    Chris Houghton ladies and gents

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/he...ier-league/amp

Nope. No way.

No ambition, no injection of enthusiasm. Rewind 10 years and compare our progress to Leicester.

Why do people call him Chris Houghton?

International

We have a rich owner.
    When you say "We" do you mean you are a member of the club manager selection committee?
    Or do you mean the club is doing that? How do you know they are? No one actually knows who they are looking at or talking to, it is all supposition until someone is actually appointed.

then you may be right ()

International

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    you might think he'd consider it not worth pursuing but I think you'll find that the Club is far better off financially than it was 6 years ago so perhaps he may look at it a different way to you.
    Less debt easier to sell when he wants to. But then he wouldn't be a member of the rich football club owners club!

There is ambition, it's just the people in charge and who m are the decisions don't have a clue about football.