Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 32

Thread: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

  1. #1

    City considering a Director of Football type appointment?


  2. #2

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    What about Terry Burton for this? Heís currently working on Youth Development at Southampton and knows the club.

  3. #3

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    What about Terry Burton for this? Heís currently working on Youth Development at Southampton and knows the club.
    Interesting

  4. #4

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Note the wording, “onto the board”, not employed.

    Seems to signify that the potential person would have to contribute £’s

  5. #5

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Note the wording, “onto the board”, not employed.

    Seems to signify that the potential person would have to contribute £’s
    I reckon there would be perks....

  6. #6

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Note the wording, “onto the board”, not employed.

    Seems to signify that the potential person would have to contribute £’s
    You can have an employ on the board too. Don't most directors of football work at board level?

  7. #7

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    What about Terry Burton for this? He’s currently working on Youth Development at Southampton and knows the club.
    We often see "knows the club" mentioned in discussions like this. Is it actually an advantage? Wouldn't it be better to have someone who knows a better run club?

  8. #8

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We often see "knows the club" mentioned in discussions like this. Is it actually an advantage? Wouldn't it be better to have someone who knows a better run club?
    Think itís an advantage but not important. Football knowledge and contacts would top that in my list.

  9. #9

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Think it’s an advantage but not important. Football knowledge and contacts would top that in my list.
    I've seen it said before that "premier League experience" used to be the most damaging phrase in football. Ensuring that the managerial jobs kept passing between the same list of old has beens.
    That really seems to have changed recently though

  10. #10

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I've seen it said before that "premier League experience" used to be the most damaging phrase in football. Ensuring that the managerial jobs kept passing between the same list of old has beens.
    That really seems to have changed recently though
    For the better as well!!

  11. #11

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    He would welcome a DoF? Isn't he in a position to do something about that or are other members of the board against the idea?

  12. #12

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    He would welcome a DoF? Isn't he in a position to do something about that or are other members of the board against the idea?
    Maybe he's waiting for one to turn up uninvited and start working

  13. #13

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    You can have an employ on the board too. Don't most directors of football work at board level?
    A director is always an employee, which is nothing to do with whether or not the person is a part owner or investor.

  14. #14

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    He would welcome a DoF? Isn't he in a position to do something about that or are other members of the board against the idea?
    I thought the same sort of thing last week when Neil Warnock said he wanted the Under 18s to train with the Under 23s, but made it sound like it hadn't happened - why?

  15. #15

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    The most laughable aspect of the WalesOnline article is the suggestion that board meetings actually take place. With an absentee owner and 4 other absentee Malaysian directors I doubt whether any meeting convened at CCS would be quorate.

    Who is left ? Ken Choo who also has a Car Dealership to run. Mehmet Dahlman who seems to be looking elsewhere and the token Cardiff person Steve Borley who is, no doubt, a valuable asset to have on the board but with an absolute dictator of an owner you wonder what contribution he can be allowed to make.

    We need someone on the board like a DoF to stop a manager having too much of a free hand but would he be able to stand up to the owner when he starts making idiotic comments and tell him that he doesnít know what heís talking about. I think not.

  16. #16

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    If we are going to appoint a DOF shouldn't we do thar before we appoint a new manager/coach? The DOF should have a big say in appointing Warnock's replacement. Bonkers to appoint Neil Harris,say, then install a DOF over his head.

  17. #17

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    The most laughable aspect of the WalesOnline article is the suggestion that board meetings actually take place. With an absentee owner and 4 other absentee Malaysian directors I doubt whether any meeting convened at CCS would be quorate.

    Who is left ? Ken Choo who also has a Car Dealership to run. Mehmet Dahlman who seems to be looking elsewhere and the token Cardiff person Steve Borley who is, no doubt, a valuable asset to have on the board but with an absolute dictator of an owner you wonder what contribution he can be allowed to make.

    We need someone on the board like a DoF to stop a manager having too much of a free hand but would he be able to stand up to the owner when he starts making idiotic comments and tell him that he doesnít know what heís talking about. I think not.
    Like it or not, itís very common these days for the meeting to be a teleconference.

  18. #18

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Like it or not, itís very common these days for the meeting to be a teleconference.
    Do you honestly think that all 8 ďdirectorsĒ get together in a teleconference to discuss all things Cardiff City ? Absolute dictatorships donít work that way.

  19. #19

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Like it or not, it’s very common these days for the meeting to be a teleconference.
    Our Board meetings are all via VC, the board members are based in UK, Amsterdam, Munich, Japan & US. We physically meet in one place (Japan) for the AGM once a year.

  20. #20

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Do you honestly think that all 8 “directors” get together in a teleconference to discuss all things Cardiff City ? Absolute dictatorships don’t work that way.
    I think it happens, they need to have board meetings however it's being run. ALl big multi-nationals have meetings by videoconference these days.

  21. #21

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    The most laughable aspect of the WalesOnline article is the suggestion that board meetings actually take place. With an absentee owner and 4 other absentee Malaysian directors I doubt whether any meeting convened at CCS would be quorate.

    Who is left ? Ken Choo who also has a Car Dealership to run. Mehmet Dahlman who seems to be looking elsewhere and the token Cardiff person Steve Borley who is, no doubt, a valuable asset to have on the board but with an absolute dictator of an owner you wonder what contribution he can be allowed to make.

    We need someone on the board like a DoF to stop a manager having too much of a free hand but would he be able to stand up to the owner when he starts making idiotic comments and tell him that he doesnít know what heís talking about. I think not.
    Youíre definitely overplaying Tans villain role tbh.

  22. #22

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I thought the same sort of thing last week when Neil Warnock said he wanted the Under 18s to train with the Under 23s, but made it sound like it hadn't happened - why?
    And he also said the academy needs an overhaul and he had no idea about the Ayr player we were tracking and it was something to do with the recruitment department (whoever they are). In hindsight, it sounds like he had one foot out of the door as well as yet another reason to look for a DoF.

  23. #23

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Like it or not, itís very common these days for the meeting to be a teleconference.
    As a tax advisor, I am very much someone who does not like (or even permit) it. Given the club is presumably loss-making I'm not sure there is much at stake here for (presumably) the Malaysian tax authorities, but the auditors at least would be asking for evidence of locations and attendees of board meetings.

  24. #24

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think it happens, they need to have board meetings however it's being run. ALl big multi-nationals have meetings by videoconference these days.
    It wasn`t that long ago that I had a conversation with Mehmet in which he said that he hadn`t even met the Malaysian directors let alone had a board meeting with them (either physically or by video conference).

  25. #25

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since62 View Post
    It wasn`t that long ago that I had a conversation with Mehmet in which he said that he hadn`t even met the Malaysian directors let alone had a board meeting with them (either physically or by video conference).


    No surprise there. It amazes me that, given the wealth of evidence, plenty of people still seem to have no idea how their club operates.

  26. #26

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Youíre definitely overplaying Tans villain role tbh.

    ...perhaps not. I refer you to the answer given by my learned friend Mr Since62

  27. #27

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    As a tax advisor, I am very much someone who does not like (or even permit) it. Given the club is presumably loss-making I'm not sure there is much at stake here for (presumably) the Malaysian tax authorities, but the auditors at least would be asking for evidence of locations and attendees of board meetings.
    How does a tax advisor get to stipulate how board meetings are conducted? Given that the role is advisory, Iíd have thought youíd have no say in it.
    Iíve attended loads of board meetings that have been by teleconference.
    As long as they are correctly minutes etc, it makes no difference.

  28. #28

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    How does a tax advisor get to stipulate how board meetings are conducted? Given that the role is advisory, Iíd have thought youíd have no say in it.
    Iíve attended loads of board meetings that have been by teleconference.
    As long as they are correctly minutes etc, it makes no difference.
    I have worked in house too where I definitely had a say in stuff like that. The risk is the company could be tax resident where the directors have the meetings, which wouldnt be particularly clever in particular if it would trigger a taxable exit from the country of incorporation. The risk extends to directors dialling in too, not just in-person meetings abroad. It's not exactly a niche point, most groups are well aware of the risk and manage it appropriately

  29. #29

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    The most laughable aspect of the WalesOnline article is the suggestion that board meetings actually take place. With an absentee owner and 4 other absentee Malaysian directors I doubt whether any meeting convened at CCS would be quorate.

    Who is left ? Ken Choo who also has a Car Dealership to run. Mehmet Dahlman who seems to be looking elsewhere and the token Cardiff person Steve Borley who is, no doubt, a valuable asset to have on the board but with an absolute dictator of an owner you wonder what contribution he can be allowed to make.

    We need someone on the board like a DoF to stop a manager having too much of a free hand but would he be able to stand up to the owner when he starts making idiotic comments and tell him that he doesnít know what heís talking about. I think not.
    What a load of utter drivel.

  30. #30

    Re: City considering a Director of Football type appointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    ...perhaps not. I refer you to the answer given by my learned friend Mr Since62
    That the nasty man hasnít met the directors?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •