+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheltenham 3 County 4 ....after 40 minutes

Re: Cheltenham 3 County 4 ....after 40 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    If he wasn’t managing Newport would anyone care about him? He’s achieved no more than Slade has and that was a dire appointment at the time
    I asked this in another thread and it got ignored so I'll ask it again: Would he even be spoken about if he was the English manager of Colchester or Cheltenham with a similar recent record, and currently 7th in League 2? And if he was in the frame would anyone on here be pushing for him?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I’ll informed comments.. Flynn plays hoofball mate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/41427331
    You have dug up an article from 2017 . One article about the opinion a manager who LOST the game.

Are you trying to tell me you are NOT ill informed? You are demonstrating the opposite if so.

My apologies, so they all hoof it in league 2.
    I think it's a waste of time basing an opinion on a young manager on what he achieves at lower league level. Some flourish at a higher level and play far better football than that manager instilled.

League 2 managers have far more intimate and technical knowledge of the game than us fans. Let's not be snobbish.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I asked this in another thread and it got ignored so I'll ask it again: Would he even be spoken about if he was the English manager of Colchester or Cheltenham with a similar recent record, and currently 7th in League 2? And if he was in the frame would anyone on here be pushing for him?
    Or an Armenian managing a side a the top of the Armenian league. Or the manager of a Sasuolo or Monterey..

The reason we know about Flynn is because he manages a Welsh side. It doesn't mean that he isn't doing a good job or anyone who suggests him is being anglophobic. It just means we know as much about League One and League Two as we do the Armenian League or even Serie A.....pretty much nothing.

Your average football fan (and I include myself in that) knows very little about sides that aren't their own. How many Bristol City players can you name ? We played them last week but most of us would probably struggle to name half the first team.

I know for fact that Flynn has taken County to the play-off final and to the latter stages of the FA cup on a shoestring budget. He kept them up when they looked stuffed and has had them finishing in the top half of the table for the last three seasons and is continuing to do well this season. County are 3 or 4 points off top spot.

Nobody can guarantee he'd be a success and frankly, if you offered me someone like Bilic or Flynn , I'd take Bilic, but we don't appear to be in the market for anyone of that calibre so, from the lot that have been touted , I'd be happy to have Flynn at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I saw Divine Wright mention earlier he wants a Welsh manager or a European one. He doesn’t have a good reason why he wants Flynn.

Flynn has said tonight he isn’t in the running for the City job.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Or an Armenian managing a side a the top of the Armenian league. Or the manager of a Sasuolo or Monterey..

The reason we know about Flynn is because he manages a Welsh side. It doesn't mean that he isn't doing a good job or anyone who suggests him is being anglophobic. It just means we know as much about League One and League Two as we do the Armenian League or even Serie A.....pretty much nothing.

Your average football fan (and I include myself in that) knows very little about sides that aren't their own. How many Bristol City players can you name ? We played them last week but most of us would probably struggle to name half the first team.

I know for fact that Flynn has taken County to the play-off final and to the latter stages of the FA cup on a shoestring budget. He kept them up when they looked stuffed and has had them finishing in the top half of the table for the last three seasons and is continuing to do well this season. County are 3 or 4 points off top spot.

Nobody can guarantee he'd be a success and frankly, if you offered me someone like Bilic or Flynn , I'd take Bilic, but we don't appear to be in the market for anyone of that calibre so, from the lot that have been touted , I'd be happy to have Flynn at the club.
    My point is that if he wasn't Welsh and managing a club down the road I don't think you'd be banging the drum so hard for him, and in fact I don't think he'd be in the conversation. Personally I want a bit more ambition from the club than picking the guy who's Welsh and down the road and doing alright two divisions below us.

And for the record, in case Tan's reading, I don't want Vardan Minasyan either

I don't know, to Delmbox's question about whether we would be looking at Flynn if he was manager at Colchester, but you look at what Newport were when he took over and what they've done since then and he has a very good CV as a manager.

Now it seems to me that, apart from last night's meaningless game, Newport appear to be a pretty dull side to watch this season and, although I've heard it said that Flynn mixes up his tactical approach, they've always played what looks very like Warnockball to me. However, if we appoint Neil Harris and he comes here and he has us playing like Millwall did under him, then why not go for Flynn? In fact why not offer Warnock the job back, because his record is better than both of them?

who's your money on .... out of interest ?
    Who I think we’ll get (gamble on) and who I want are 2 polar opposites.

You have dug up an article from 2017 . One article about the opinion a manager who LOST the game.

Are you trying to tell me you are NOT ill informed? You are demonstrating the opposite if so.
    Do they play differently now then? They’ve hoofed it every time I’ve seen them.
    What has the fact he lost the game got to do with it? Managers whinged at Warnockball after losing as well, are we going to say it wasn’t warnockball now and those managers were wrong because they lost?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think it's a waste of time basing an opinion on a young manager on what he achieves at lower league level. Some flourish at a higher level and play far better football than that manager instilled.

League 2 managers have far more intimate and technical knowledge of the game than us fans. Let's not be snobbish.
    So it’s all hoofball in league 2?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Flynn has said tonight he isn’t in the running for the City job.
    My job here is complete.

Thank the ****ing lord.

Now let’s put Neil Harris off....

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    I saw Divine Wright mention earlier he wants a Welsh manager or a European one. He doesn’t have a good reason why he wants Flynn.
    He knows the calibre of manager we’re going for as well.

My job here is complete.

Thank the ****ing lord.

Now let’s put Neil Harris off....
    Yes one down, one to go. If Flynn or Bowyer were in the running, something would have sneaked out from another club about us making an approach. So I think it's going to be someone who currently is not at a club......or unemployed as I call it!

He knows the calibre of manager we’re going for as well.
    Who would you like to as our new manager?

Who would you like to as our new manager?
    Pretty sure I’ve answered this somewhere already...

Jokanovic - seems a step too far for us though if he’s earning a bit out in Qatar atm. Also seems to like a budget and high wage recruits (at least at Fulham, can’t remember his spending at Watford)

Nathan Jones - Went wring for him at Stoke but I’d give him a chance here, did well at Luton and they didn’t hoof the ball to escape the lower leagues. I’d give him a chance here definitely.

Lee Bowyer - Wouldn’t rush out to get him but I’d welcome his style, seems to work well w it h his players and does well in the transfer market too, seen it said plenty he’s a good man manager.

Diego Martinez- My never gonna happen shout.
    https://footballbh.net/2019/10/29/la...etis-tactical-
    Hold my hands up and admit I’ve not seen them play but what he has done is impressive and goes further than just work on the pitch.
    Probably get swallowed alive over here though as the footballs completely different.

You?

Jokanovic - seems a step too far for us though if he’s earning a bit out in Qatar atm. Also seems to like a budget and high wage recruits (at least at Fulham, can’t remember his spending at Watford)

Nathan Jones - Went wring for him at Stoke but I’d give him a chance here, did well at Luton and they didn’t hoof the ball to escape the lower leagues. I’d give him a chance here definitely.

Lee Bowyer - Wouldn’t rush out to get him but I’d welcome his style, seems to work well w it h his players and does well in the transfer market too, seen it said plenty he’s a good man manager.

Hold my hands up and admit I’ve not seen them play but what he has done is impressive and goes further than just work on the pitch.
    Probably get swallowed alive over here though as the footballs completely different.

You?
    https://www.skysports.com/share/11860376

Another one. Didn’t Jimmy the Jock sat mother well played more football than us and the Jacks when he watched them after our shower of shit against the jacks the other week?

Probably a risk, and his football probably doesn’t work all the time (even better teams like arsenal struggle to pass out under pressure I suppose) but it’s another name I’d take over a hoofball merchant.

You?
    So you'd have Nathan Jones or Bowyer then.

I'd take Nathan Jones, even though I suspect your favourite football manager could have done a better job than him at Stoke tbf.

Bowyer . Not the type of character I'd like to have representing my club.

Me?

Nathan Jones.

Craig Bellamy.

Mark Hughes.

Javi Gracia.

Frank de Boer.

Mark Hughes is unfashionable but I think he would get results and I think his football is more attractive than Warnock's. Gracia might be an option if you threw money at him and gave him some cash to spend. I don't mind Hughton either. Not exciting but a solid option. Frank de Boer has a decent CV.