+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sir Neil

Sir Neil

Re: Sir Neil

Saved the club? We were in the bottom 3 when he came here, yes he galvanised the club, but who's to say we wouldn't have got out of it anyway?

He got us promoted, but so did Mackay (as champions) and a play off and a League Cup Final, Lenny Lawrence, not sure if it was Alan Cork or Billy Ayre in the 2000s. Frank Burrows, Len Ashurst, Eddie May, Jimmy Andrews and others. And Dave Jones got us in the Play Offs 3 seasons running, and to a FA Cup Final. I don't think Jones, Lawrence or Mackay got us relegated.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    The same thought process as Andy Campbell.....Hmmm...

Are you Neil Warnock?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Are you Neil Warnock?
    Lady Colin more like.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Are you Neil Warnock?
    No, because if I were I'd be monitoring the Derby County message board by now

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Saved the club? We were in the bottom 3 when he came here, yes he galvanised the club, but who's to say we wouldn't have got out of it anyway?

He got us promoted, but so did Mackay (as champions) and a play off and a League Cup Final, Lenny Lawrence, not sure if it was Alan Cork or Billy Ayre in the 2000s. Frank Burrows, Len Ashurst, Eddie May, Jimmy Andrews and others. And Dave Jones got us in the Play Offs 3 seasons running, and to a FA Cup Final. I don't think Jones, Lawrence or Mackay got us relegated.
    He got us out of relegation into mid table and then promoted to the Premier League the next season whilst spending very little money. He damn near kept us in the Prem last season as well. He reunited the club and fans in the process. He deserves our sincere thanks and respect.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    He got us out of relegation into mid table and then promoted to the Premier League the next season whilst spending very little money. He damn near kept us in the Prem last season as well. He reunited the club and fans in the process. He deserves our sincere thanks and respect.
    I agree. I also believe his time is up and that he's been holding us back over the last year or so.

**** me the love in is getting a bit much now. Yes, he did a good job, however he did absolutely nothing that no manager before him did.

He pissed away ****ing loads of money, and whilst yes, he did get us promoted against the odds, people are making out like he's the first manager to do this. Literally both of the teams who went up last season weren't fancied. Grow the up lads, he's very replaceable.

And whilst we're on the topic of knighthoods, anyone who believes those in sport deserve a knighthood etc need to give their head a wobble.

I don't know whether the fans of the club are very different now to those I was brought up with, or whether this message board is unrepresentative, but it's horrible to read some of this stuff.
    He's been a marvellous manager.

I don't know whether the fans of the club are very different now to those I was brought up with, or whether this message board is unrepresentative, but it's horrible to read some of this stuff.
    He's been a marvellous manager.
    Agreed. As a club I've never felt we look after ex players or managers very well and that filters down to the fans. Guy said he'd leave if things weren't going well, he has left. He did save us and did a stunning job the season afterwards.

In a couple of seasons he did more than most of our previous managers did.

Now I wouldn't go as far as to say we should name a stand or put a statue up but respect where it's due.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post

We were favourites under MM though I think, 13th under Neil on a low budget. The right choice now could easily see us into the playoffs, what’s the gap? 7 points?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I agree he did a great job, but I do think it was time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    We were favourites under MM though I think, 13th under Neil on a low budget. The right choice now could easily see us into the playoffs, what’s the gap? 7 points?
    Weren’t we one of the favourites for promotion this season?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Weren’t we one of the favourites for promotion this season?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    We were favourites under MM though I think
    Incorrect. Bolton were favourites at 8/1, Wolves (who went on to be relegated) were joint-second favourites with Middlesbrough at 10/1, while City were joint-fourth favourites at 12/1 with Leicester.

While we're on the subject of defying the odds, Neil Warnock's Cardiff City were third favourites at 9/1 to win this season's Championship back in August. They're now 150/1.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Incorrect. Bolton were favourites at 8/1, Wolves (who went on to be relegated) were joint-second favourites with Middlesbrough at 10/1, while City were joint-fourth favourites at 12/1 with Leicester.

While we're on the subject of defying the odds, Neil Warnock's Cardiff City were third favourites at 9/1 to win this season's Championship back in August. They're now 150/1.

Boy, and aren't you enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Boy, and aren't you enjoying it.
    I enjoyed the 4-2 victory over Birmingham. Probably the wettest I've ever been at a football match, but it was quite an event all the same.

Sunday's defeat to Bristol City wasn't very enjoyable, though. Poor game between two poor teams.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I enjoyed the 4-2 victory over Birmingham. Probably the wettest I've ever been at a football match, but it was quite an event all the same.
    It wasn't that exciting was it!?