Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Don't give up on stopping Brexit - Tusk

  1. #1

    Don't give up on stopping Brexit - Tusk

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50413638

    This outside inference didn't pick up much traction as in the case of Trumps


    Outgoing European Council President Donald Tusk has urged British voters not to "give up" on stopping Brexit.

    As campaigning ramps up ahead of next month's general election, he warned that leaving the EU would leave the UK a "second-rate player".

    In a speech, he also said Brexit would likely mark the "real end of the British Empire".

    He is due to step down from his role next month, having held the post for five years.

    Mr Tusk's intervention comes as Conservative leader Boris Johnson said the UK Parliament was "paralysed" and had refused "time and again to honour the mandate of the people and to deliver Brexit".

    Former head of the UK diplomatic service Sir Simon Fraser said he believed Mr Tusk was a friend of the UK but argued making the comments was "not the right thing to do".

    "I think the principle that politicians don't comment on the electoral affairs of other countries is a wise principle," he added.

  2. #2

    Re: Don't give up on stopping Brexit - Tusk

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50413638

    This outside inference didn't pick up much traction as in the case of Trumps


    Outgoing European Council President Donald Tusk has urged British voters not to "give up" on stopping Brexit.

    As campaigning ramps up ahead of next month's general election, he warned that leaving the EU would leave the UK a "second-rate player".

    In a speech, he also said Brexit would likely mark the "real end of the British Empire".

    He is due to step down from his role next month, having held the post for five years.

    Mr Tusk's intervention comes as Conservative leader Boris Johnson said the UK Parliament was "paralysed" and had refused "time and again to honour the mandate of the people and to deliver Brexit".

    Former head of the UK diplomatic service Sir Simon Fraser said he believed Mr Tusk was a friend of the UK but argued making the comments was "not the right thing to do".

    "I think the principle that politicians don't comment on the electoral affairs of other countries is a wise principle," he added.
    What a wonderful man and a consummate politician. We're sure gonna miss him.

  3. #3

    Re: Don't give up on stopping Brexit - Tusk

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    What a wonderful man and a consummate politician. We're sure gonna miss him.
    Yes indeed, at least it proves the leavers argument that his only desire was to link up with remainers in the UK to disrupt, plot and stop a democratic decesion to leave, which he didnt like, supposed to be impatial and respectful of democracy, not a plotter against a sitting goverment.

  4. #4

    Re: Don't give up on stopping Brexit - Tusk

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes indeed, at least it proves the leavers argument that his only desire was to link up with remainers in the UK to disrupt, plot and stop a democratic decesion to leave, which he didnt like, supposed to be impatial and respectful of democracy, not a plotter against a sitting goverment.
    No I don't see any evidence of all that baloney. You don't want to believe everything you hear from these rabid Leavers; you should know by now they have very creative minds.

    Instead this is one hell of a politician who puts ours to shame, who is telling it how it is. A General Election trumps an opinion poll and if there is no Tory majority it will represent a demand from the public to rethink Brexshit. That's just common sense.

    I personally do not think a GE is the right platform to make key decisions on Brexshit but the ordinary people are denied a people's vote by the powers that be so must needs I'm afraid.

    Bye Mr Tusk, you will be sorely missed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •