+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another Cardiff boy snapped up by Swansea

Yet another Cardiff boy snapped up by Swansea

For the love of god, a Llandaff North boy should be a Bluebird.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...ented-17245471

Re: Yet another Cardiff boy snapped up by Swansea

It is a pisstake isn't it. How crap is our academy system. No players bought through is bad enough but missing good players on our doorstep. FFS useless.

The more things like this happen, along with what must surely be a growing perception that Cardiff is not a place where young players are given a chance at senior level, the more likely it becomes that there will be plenty more to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The more things like this happen, along with what must surely be a growing perception that Cardiff is not a place where young players are given a chance at senior level, the more likely it becomes that there will be plenty more to follow.
    Very true. I know a promising player in the under 17's who has every chance of making it. His dad was keen to move him out of the club because he didn't see the point of him being there. Warnock going may have changed his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Very true. I know a promising player in the under 17's who has every chance of making it. His dad was keen to move him out of the club because he didn't see the point of him being there. Warnock going may have changed his mind.
    How much does our board and owner value having an academy and bringing young players through?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    True, Paul. Moreover, until Tan opens the purse strings and he invests in a Category 1 Academy we'll always be up against it.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    True, Paul. Moreover, until Tan opens the purse strings and he invests in a Category 1 Academy we'll always be up against it.

StT.
    <><
    “Category One status is extremely hard to achieve and takes real commitment from the club. Any football academies that have this status is a show of the quality of the coaching, equipment, facilities and strategic development that you can expect to find.Category One football academies also invest a lot to maintain their status. There are also some clubs that choose not to publicise their status in order to avoid being over approached by players and parents“

That’s us out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post

A Cat 1 Academy costs a lot to set up and maintain, but then so do transfers that don't work out not to mention the cost of losing young local talent to rivals. It's gotta be worth it.

Are Swansea academy one?

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Are Swansea academy one?
    Yep, which makes it all the more shocking that we aren’t.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post

Despite the Chair of Swansea City being an insolvency practitioner (recently appointed to help them with their financial position) he , and the club`s owners, still considers it to be a good investment and of financial benefit to continue to fund their Academy system. Maybe because of Trevor`s football background he is clear why it is so important.

It's no surprise. Young players don't get a sniff, Slade and Warnock weren't interested and then there was the bullying investigation, add to that the way we play. If there was a choice between us and the jacks i'd say that there was no contest. Even if a young player doesn't make the grade at Swansea i'd say that he's coming out of it a better player.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    “Category One status is extremely hard to achieve and takes real commitment from the club. Any football academies that have this status is a show of the quality of the coaching, equipment, facilities and strategic development that you can expect to find.Category One football academies also invest a lot to maintain their status. There are also some clubs that choose not to publicise their status in order to avoid being over approached by players and parents“

That’s us out.
    Exactly. That my point, 'demb.' You can't run a club on the cheap these days. You must have long, mid and short term plans and a Cat 1 Academy must be part of that. We've had about 4 or 5 parachute payments by now. Where has it gone?

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's no surprise. Young players don't get a sniff, Slade and Warnock weren't interested and then there was the bullying investigation, add to that the way we play. If there was a choice between us and the jacks i'd say that there was no contest. Even if a young player doesn't make the grade at Swansea i'd say that he's coming out of it a better player.
    The bullying investigation was a year ago wasn’t it? And it’s been sorted?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    The bullying investigation was a year ago wasn’t it? And it’s been sorted?
    I don't know, my point is that it wouldn't really go in our favour i suppose when young players and parents are weighing up the options.

Strange how they don’t produce any home grown talent of their own, do they always just pinch them from other clubs academies like they did with Dan James?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Strange how they don’t produce any home grown talent of their own, do they always just pinch them from other clubs academies like they did with Dan James?
    Ben Davies, Joe Allen, There fullback (i forget his name) They developed Mc Burnie. I'd say that Davies, Allen and McBurnie has netted them the best part of 30 million, James went for 15 million? Their youth development has saved them. Lets just say that they have an eye for a young player.

Ben Davies, Joe Allen, There fullback (i forget his name) They developed Mc Burnie. I'd say that Davies, Allen and McBurnie has netted them the best part of 30 million, James went for 15 million? Their youth development has saved them. Lets just say that they have an eye for a young player.
    McBurnie was bought from Bradford and had played 1st team football for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    McBurnie was bought from Bradford and had played 1st team football for them.
    Fair enough, although they brought in an 18 year old from a league 2 club and turned him into a 15 million pound player. Good scouting.

Fair enough, although they brought in an 18 year old from a league 2 club and turned him into a 15 million pound player. Good scouting.
    So just joe Allen really, just cause his dad played for them.....not many Swansea boys playing or making it though

Heisenberg

So just joe Allen really, just cause his dad played for them.....not many Swansea boys playing or making it though
    Ben Davies, Connor Roberts, Joe Rodon... They're all from that area, aren't they?

His dad never played for Swansea.

Interesting comments, but I don’t see us bringing in young players from the lower leagues and turning them into multi million pound players and/or internationals.

From what I can see this lad joined the Jacks about 10 years ago so don't know what it's got to do with Slade, Warnock or Tan for that matter as he'd only just arrived. But the City Critics Message Board never misses an opportunity for a dig at the club these days 😞

From a Wales point of view, I’m kind of glad that these young footballers go to Swansea as they seem to bring them through and educate in a way that ensures longevity whilst maximising potential. A player in the Cardiff City academy is either so talented that a larger club comes in to take them on to better things or they just fade away.

At CCFC, you don’t get solid professionals that are nurtured with a view to becoming a first team regulars. This probably has something to do with the fact that there is no continuity in football philosophy through the age groups to the reserves and onto the first team.