Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
I've just phoned someone to get some more details. He played in three trial games at u14 when Cardiff requested for the best lads from different areas to play in front of them and to see who caught their eye.

He also played for Cardiff schools so Cardiff were very aware of the lad.

They deemed he wasn't technically good enough.

Newport signed him and the played Swansea and Swansea liked him.

Swansea had him for free off Newport in an agreement where players would go to Newport from Swansea on loan or what not.
Cheers for clearing that up so at the time he wasn’t deemed good enough.

It happens, from what you say there he was either trialled before going to Newport or whilst he was there. I guess before , so he may even have been 12 then as he played for Newport under 13.

Kids develop and change, no one can predict the future.

Adam Matthews came the other way , IIRC after Swansea binned him when he got injured.

So far there hasn’t been a player we let go who’s done much. Regain Poole was supposed to be the big loss but he’s done less than Rhys Healey.

Sounds like our current youth sides are doing OK with 5 under 19s in the 17 man squad yesterday who beat Poland 3-0 and drew 2-2 v Russia, so maybe we will see something from those.

Anyone know How Sion Spence is getting on as he wasn’t involved.

IMHO it’s probably more about how the players are developed and also the way the 1st team operates ( always facing a short term issue., chasing promotion or relegation) with managers who can’t afford to gamble.

With Swansea they have a longer term plan there where they have developed players to play a certain way for many years.
They have also been able to poach lots of players from other clubs due to 7 years in the prem which will pay off for years.

If they don’t go back up in the next 2 years then their parachute money will be gone and they will have a big decision to make.

I can’t see us going for Cat 1 unless we can get up and stay up.

Catch 22