+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another Cardiff boy snapped up by Swansea

Re: Yet another Cardiff boy snapped up by Swansea

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    His dad never played for Swansea.
    Maybe he's getting mixed up with Joe Allen of the eighties, striker from Newcastle. He must be Joe Allen's dad as he has the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    For the love of god, a Llandaff North boy should be a Bluebird.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...ented-17245471
    How about:-

Joe Ledley
    Robert Earnshaw
    Chris Gunter
    Adam Matthews
    Sort of Joe Ralls
    James Collins
    Simon Haworth
    Scott Young
    Lee Phillips
    Lee Jarman
    Lee Baddeley
    Lee Skelly
    Lee Kendall
    Christian Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    How about:-

Joe Ledley
    Robert Earnshaw
    Chris Gunter
    Adam Matthews
    Sort of Joe Ralls
    James Collins
    Simon Haworth
    Scott Young
    Lee Phillips
    Lee Jarman
    Lee Baddeley
    Lee Skelly
    Lee Kendall
    Christian Roberts
    There's a bit of barrel scraping going on there if you don't mind me saying.

I got a bit taken away by the Lee-s I didn't have time to remember a Mr A Ramsey.

C'mon we're not that bad a prospect for people to send their kids to. The academy is a lot more structured than it ever has been.

I blame the parents if my lad came home and wanted to sign for the Kent's he'd be looking for another dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There's a bit of barrel scraping going on there if you don't mind me saying.
    I remember the 1990s too, when our first team was poor enough that our youth setup could produce players who could make the grade.

It's not been good this last decade has it? Matondo left us of course, but what else have we even had a hand in producing?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I remember the 1990s too, when our first team was poor enough that our youth setup could produce players who could make the grade.

It's not been good this last decade has it? Matondo left us of course, but what else have we even had a hand in producing?
    Callum Paterson, He was 23 when he arrived from hearts, Warnock turned him from a Boy into a Man.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post

I got a bit taken away by the Lee-s I didn't have time to remember a Mr A Ramsey.

C'mon we're not that bad a prospect for people to send their kids to. The academy is a lot more structured than it ever has been.
    come on, you know the rules, negative posts about the club only

we as a club since Scam came along have been after the quick fix, the fast promotions, only thinking about the current season, its been boom or bust

bringing on youngsters havent been top of the list of priorities

Callum Paterson, He was 23 when he arrived from hearts, Warnock turned him from a Boy into a Man.
    Was that when he had a broken leg?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    we as a club since Scam came along have been after the quick fix, the fast promotions, only thinking about the current season, its been boom or bust

bringing on youngsters havent been top of the list of priorities
    You've just made a negative post about the club.

I don't know, my point is that it wouldn't really go in our favour i suppose when young players and parents are weighing up the options.
    It has been if you believe Bellamy was the only culprit at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    From what I can see this lad joined the Jacks about 10 years ago so don't know what it's got to do with Slade, Warnock or Tan for that matter as he'd only just arrived. But the City Critics Message Board never misses an opportunity for a dig at the club these days 😞
    If this is true then the rest of this thread is just dragging up the same old stuff as usual

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    If this is true then the rest of this thread is just dragging up the same old stuff as usual
    Plus a totally misleading headline.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    How much does our board and owner value having an academy and bringing young players through?
    You think there's a long term strategy in place here?

Palace chairman was on radio 5 the other Sunday talking about their £20 million investment purchasing land and upgrading their academy.
    Once in place, the club will apply to step up to category #1 to play the better academies. This was to ensure they continued to discover the young talent in South London such as Zara and Wan Bissaka .

It isn't true

I went to school with Ben and he was at Newport for a while, didn't join Swansea until he was around 14/15

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    It isn't true

I went to school with Ben and he was at Newport for a while, didn't join Swansea until he was around 14/15
    So he was originally picked up by Newport and then poached by Swansea as they gave a Cat 1, thanks to 7 seasons in the prem.

Not saying our youth set up is faultless but can’t see what City could have done about that.

He did however develop his game in the Welsh League last season with TNS, something which we are doing with 3-4 players this season with lots of criticism from fans on this board.

So he was originally picked up by Newport and then poached by Swansea as they gave a Cat 1, thanks to 7 seasons in the prem.

Not saying our youth set up is faultless but can’t see what City could have done about that.

He did however develop his game in the Welsh League last season with TNS, something which we are doing with 3-4 players this season with lots of criticism from fans on this board.
    He was on trial 2 or 3 times at Cardiff when he was 14/15

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Whilst he was with Newport ?

Whilst he was with Newport ?
    I'm not sure. Probably cos Newport weren't officially in the academy system so they could take him off them for free.

He was deemed to small I believe!

I'm not sure. Probably cos Newport weren't officially in the academy system so they could take him off them for free.

He was deemed to small I believe!
    According to google he was with County then and Swansea took him from there.

He was at County from under-13 to under-15

He would have moved to Swansea when they were a Prem club and we were struggling in the Champ if my maths are right.

I guess only the lad himself would know the full story, but we take on hundreds of kids here, can’t take them all and it’s just as likely that we took on players who were better at the time and didn’t develop them.

If what I’ve read/ remember is right around that time Swansea nicked a load of our coaches too.

According to google he was with County then and Swansea took him from there.

He was at County from under-13 to under-15

He would have moved to Swansea when they were a Prem club and we were struggling in the Champ if my maths are right.

I guess only the lad himself would know the full story, but we take on hundreds of kids here, can’t take them all and it’s just as likely that we took on players who were better at the time and didn’t develop them.

If what I’ve read/ remember is right around that time Swansea nicked a load of our coaches too.
    I've just phoned someone to get some more details. He played in three trial games at u14 when Cardiff requested for the best lads from different areas to play in front of them and to see who caught their eye.

He also played for Cardiff schools so Cardiff were very aware of the lad.

They deemed he wasn't technically good enough.

Newport signed him and the played Swansea and Swansea liked him.

Swansea had him for free off Newport in an agreement where players would go to Newport from Swansea on loan or what not.

Tom Lockyer was kicked out of our Academy at 16 because he was too small, he is now a Welsh International!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Tom Lockyer was kicked out of our Academy at 16 because he was too small, he is now a Welsh International!
    Plenty of league 1 players play international football.