+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yet another Cardiff boy snapped up by Swansea

Re: Yet another Cardiff boy snapped up by Swansea

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I've just phoned someone to get some more details. He played in three trial games at u14 when Cardiff requested for the best lads from different areas to play in front of them and to see who caught their eye.

He also played for Cardiff schools so Cardiff were very aware of the lad.

They deemed he wasn't technically good enough.

Newport signed him and the played Swansea and Swansea liked him.

Swansea had him for free off Newport in an agreement where players would go to Newport from Swansea on loan or what not.
    Cheers for clearing that up so at the time he wasn’t deemed good enough.

It happens, from what you say there he was either trialled before going to Newport or whilst he was there. I guess before , so he may even have been 12 then as he played for Newport under 13.

Kids develop and change, no one can predict the future.

Adam Matthews came the other way , IIRC after Swansea binned him when he got injured.

So far there hasn’t been a player we let go who’s done much. Regain Poole was supposed to be the big loss but he’s done less than Rhys Healey.

Sounds like our current youth sides are doing OK with 5 under 19s in the 17 man squad yesterday who beat Poland 3-0 and drew 2-2 v Russia, so maybe we will see something from those.

Anyone know How Sion Spence is getting on as he wasn’t involved.

IMHO it’s probably more about how the players are developed and also the way the 1st team operates ( always facing a short term issue., chasing promotion or relegation) with managers who can’t afford to gamble.

With Swansea they have a longer term plan there where they have developed players to play a certain way for many years.
    They have also been able to poach lots of players from other clubs due to 7 years in the prem which will pay off for years.

If they don’t go back up in the next 2 years then their parachute money will be gone and they will have a big decision to make.

I can’t see us going for Cat 1 unless we can get up and stay up.

Catch 22

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Cheers for clearing that up so at the time he wasn’t deemed good enough.

It happens, from what you say there he was either trialled before going to Newport or whilst he was there. I guess before , so he may even have been 12 then as he played for Newport under 13.

Kids develop and change, no one can predict the future.

Adam Matthews came the other way , IIRC after Swansea binned him when he got injured.

So far there hasn’t been a player we let go who’s done much. Regain Poole was supposed to be the big loss but he’s done less than Rhys Healey.

Sounds like our current youth sides are doing OK with 5 under 19s in the 17 man squad yesterday who beat Poland 3-0 and drew 2-2 v Russia, so maybe we will see something from those.

Anyone know How Sion Spence is getting on as he wasn’t involved.

IMHO it’s probably more about how the players are developed and also the way the 1st team operates ( always facing a short term issue., chasing promotion or relegation) with managers who can’t afford to gamble.

With Swansea they have a longer term plan there where they have developed players to play a certain way for many years.
    They have also been able to poach lots of players from other clubs due to 7 years in the prem which will pay off for years.

If they don’t go back up in the next 2 years then their parachute money will be gone and they will have a big decision to make.

I can’t see us going for Cat 1 unless we can get up and stay up.

Catch 22
    Shame really, costs less than a madine or a glatzel to run I’m sure....I thought Tan would be all over this, we all know how much he loves agents after all.....strange

At the end of the day we've bought no one through worthwhile since Ramsey. Over 10 years ago! That tells you all you need to know how useless our academy system is.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Plenty of league 1 players play international football.
    He plays in the Championship with Charlton? He went to Bristol Rovers when we kicked him out for being too small? I wonder how long Daniel James would have lasted?

Just a thought, if Swansea are going to be the youth academy of Wales (not a bad thing), and considering how football has become youth obsessed recently, then I'd be quite happy for City to focus on becoming the modern day Sam Allardyce's Bolton Wanders equivalent and reinvent or reinvorgate older Welsh players. For example, Sam Vokes' career looks to be stalling but he's still got a big role to play if can recapture form of 2015-2017 and at 30 he's old given average age of some teams but hardly as limited as a striker aged 35-37.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    He plays in the Championship with Charlton? He went to Bristol Rovers when we kicked him out for being too small? I wonder how long Daniel James would have lasted?
    Yeah I noticed at the weekend, didn’t realise he’d moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Just a thought, if Swansea are going to be the youth academy of Wales (not a bad thing), and considering how football has become youth obsessed recently, then I'd be quite happy for City to focus on becoming the modern day Sam Allardyce's Bolton Wanders equivalent and reinvent or reinvorgate older Welsh players. For example, Sam Vokes' career looks to be stalling but he's still got a big role to play if can recapture form of 2015-2017 and at 30 he's old given average age of some teams but hardly as limited as a striker aged 35-37.
    Basically looking forward to Bale and Gunter returning soon.