+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neil Harris is the new Cardiff manager

Re: Neil Harris is the new Cardiff manager

The most worrying thing is that Jurssett thinks it’s a good appointment.

Was there ever more than one candidate for the job?
    I bet the board delayed the announcement just to make out they were doing some homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Obviously the club took no notice of the negative comments on here - more's the pity.
    To be fair what the duck do we know about managing, coaching and playing professional football.

I have a feeling it was a Warnock recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Was there ever more than one candidate for the job?
    I bet the board delayed the announcement just to make out they were doing some homework.
    Na, they wanted a “short contract”, he wanted longer, that’s what been holding the announcement up

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I got there through the lovely blue linky in your post..well the one you quoted.

Edit. ****ing awful appointment.
    Thought we were clear as we’d had no appt by the weekend.

Here’s to hoping he goes on a crazy win streak to win around thousands of fans who will be baffled by this shite decision.

Years more of hoofball.

**** sake.
    Season ticket in the post. **** 'em

Bored of repeating myself.

Did Barnsley, Luton, Charlton?

He sold players too...
    Millwall bet spend in the last year - £0
    Charlton - £8 million

Luton - £6 million

Would you all have rathered Sparky in charge???
    I for one am glad of the Harris appointment- give the guy a chance!!!
    Much is made of the fact that the players at the club are similar in style to exactly how Harris sets up.
    Square pegs in round holes and all that - we’ll see in January who he brings in to strengthen for our promotion push - yes that’s right lol I’m being positive!!
    Apart from the Bristol game where we hit the crossbar three times - any other day we would have won and the Dire performance at the Liability we haven’t played that badly.
    The highlight of the season for me was the Birmingham game.
    If we could replicate that passion we won’t be far away.....😃👍

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    Millwall bet spend in the last year - £0
    Charlton - £8 million

Luton - £6 million
    Relatively small budget then. Hardly huge amounts.

Harris has recruited for Wall, he’s chosen the players that come in, there would have been options for players that don’t just hoof it.

That’s me done, you won’t change my opinion, he’s a shite appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    What a great appointment

BBC article
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50440160

Neil Harris has been appointed as the new manager of Cardiff City.

The ex-Millwall boss, 42, has signed until the summer of 2022 and replaces Neil Warnock, 70, after he parted company with the club last week.

Harris will be joined by his former Millwall assistant David Livermore, while coaches James Rowberry and Andy Dibble will remain at the club.

However, first-team coach Ronnie Jepson and Warnock's assistant manager Kevin Blackwell will leave.

Rowberry will take over as first-team coach at the Championship side, while Dibble continues as goalkeeping coach.

Harris' first game in charge will be the trip to Charlton Athletic on Saturday, 23 November and he will make his home debut three days later when the Bluebirds host Stoke City.

Cardiff owner Vincent Tan said: "I am pleased to appoint Neil as first-team manager of the club.

"I have full confidence in Neil due to his principles on and off the pitch and enthusiasm to succeed. I am glad to offer him this opportunity and look forward to seeing what he is capable of achieving with Cardiff City."

Former striker Harris, who made a full recovery after being diagnosed with testicular cancer aged 23 in 2001, scored 138 goals over two spells with Millwall as a player.

He took over as caretaker manager at The Den in March 2015 following their relegation to League One and guided the Lions to promotion back to the second tier in 2017, after reaching the League One play-off final for a second consecutive season.

Under his stewardship the London club reached the FA Cup quarter-finals twice, in 2017 and 2019.

Harris, who briefly played on loan for Cardiff in December 2004, stepped down as boss at The Den in October 2019 after a seven-match winless streak left Millwall five points above the relegation zone.

Cardiff are 14th in the Championship, eight points above the relegation places but seven points shy of the play-offs.
    Jeepers...he’ll be gone in 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Na, they wanted a “short contract”, he wanted longer, that’s what been holding the announcement up
    Nice pay off coming his way of course....

Ecstatic.

Agree with this. NW leaves on Monday, by Tuesday NH is bookies fav. Deffo in the pipeline before NW left.

Why do we appoint shite managers with a first name Neil

🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by beakerboyblue View Post
    Why do we appoint shite managers with a first name Neil

Things to consider:

1. Most of us want to see a more progressive style of play but in changing managers midseason that's unlikely to happen immediately no matter who was brought in. We'll see whether Harris is the man to encourage players to feel more comfortable playing passing football April 2020 onwards.

2. His record at Millwall, at least the achievements/highlights, was actually very good. Perhaps the thing that sticks out most from wiki article being that he won 6 away games on the bounce in their first Championship season which is impressive in itself but also combined with our traditionally better home record could be very promising.

3. Perhaps this appointment isn't as progressive as some would like but are we missing the promotion that may suggest a longer term plan? In 2016 Chris Wathan (Walesonline) wrote an article about James Rowberry as a potential new manager and he is slowly progressing up the hierarchy towards that potential appointment. Add in the right DoF and suddenly we're a club with a really forward thinking plan.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/just-who-potential-new-cardiff-11322613

I won't comment much on the criticism of him being cheap because that's really no bad thing. Expensive is Tony Pulis who peaked at Crystal Palace a number of years ago or Mark Hughes who peaked probably in his second Stoke season and I'd rather not go to either of those two just because they're experienced and take more away from our budget.

The best thing Warnock did was unite the club. Harris may or may not be the right appointment but fans have role in backing him at least until we see how we are going, unless it's obviously awful, into the 2020-2021 season.

We had a manager with the surname Neal who was pretty awful too

Relatively small budget then. Hardly huge amounts.

Harris has recruited for Wall, he’s chosen the players that come in, there would have been options for players that don’t just hoof it.

That’s me done, you won’t change my opinion, he’s a shite appointment.
    Yeah and millwall’s was even smaller

You’ve just decided this is bad and are trying to spin it that way.

Good luck Neil. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    Yeah and millwall’s was even smaller

You’ve just decided this is bad and are trying to spin it that way.
    Why do I have to be spinning?

Wall, Charlton, Luton Barnsley all have relatively small budgets, and fees paid aside (I don’t know how much either pulled in in transfer fees just what you’ve said they’ve spent but I’d imagine both sold players to champ clubs when they went up) I would imagine all pay small wages which makes it hard to attract players, yet only one of the teams mentioned plays shite hoofball and their manager didn’t manage to change it in 6 transfer windows. Not even slightly.

Read the news on my phone, just logged in on my iPad and Neil Harris is the new manager on here as well, seriously underwhelmed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Think I'd prefer this, at least he'd give the kids a chance.

I was listening on the radio earlier on , they said Cardiff have announced their new manager....

My thoughts were "please dont say Neil Harris , please dont say Neil Harris "

Alas he has the gig , how on earth did we end up here ,lets hope he surprises us all, like Steve Bruce has done the Geordies.

I doubt he will get much slack if results don't go his way immediately .

Cmon Mr Harris prove us doubters wrong ......

Underwhelming. But will back him

Just seems like more of the same but well see

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    What a great appointment

BBC article
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50440160

Neil Harris has been appointed as the new manager of Cardiff City.

The ex-Millwall boss, 42, has signed until the summer of 2022 and replaces Neil Warnock, 70, after he parted company with the club last week.

Harris will be joined by his former Millwall assistant David Livermore, while coaches James Rowberry and Andy Dibble will remain at the club.

However, first-team coach Ronnie Jepson and Warnock's assistant manager Kevin Blackwell will leave.

Rowberry will take over as first-team coach at the Championship side, while Dibble continues as goalkeeping coach.

Harris' first game in charge will be the trip to Charlton Athletic on Saturday, 23 November and he will make his home debut three days later when the Bluebirds host Stoke City.

Cardiff owner Vincent Tan said: "I am pleased to appoint Neil as first-team manager of the club.

"I have full confidence in Neil due to his principles on and off the pitch and enthusiasm to succeed. I am glad to offer him this opportunity and look forward to seeing what he is capable of achieving with Cardiff City."

Former striker Harris, who made a full recovery after being diagnosed with testicular cancer aged 23 in 2001, scored 138 goals over two spells with Millwall as a player.

He took over as caretaker manager at The Den in March 2015 following their relegation to League One and guided the Lions to promotion back to the second tier in 2017, after reaching the League One play-off final for a second consecutive season.

Under his stewardship the London club reached the FA Cup quarter-finals twice, in 2017 and 2019.

Harris, who briefly played on loan for Cardiff in December 2004, stepped down as boss at The Den in October 2019 after a seven-match winless streak left Millwall five points above the relegation zone.

Cardiff are 14th in the Championship, eight points above the relegation places but seven points shy of the play-offs.
    How can you possibly say that is a ‘great appointment’?

Hopefully he’ll come good but can you imagine the players’ reaction?! It will be like ours! Hardly inspiring.

Don't understand why we didn't go for Chris Houghton. But alas. Let's enjoy this Wales match and worry about it next weekend