+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: When was the last time Wales won a 'must win' game?

When was the last time Wales won a 'must win' game?

Looks like we have another opportunity on Tuesday.

Apart from the euros at the tournament was it 1958 in the play off v Israel?

Even when we qualified for 2016 we lost on the actual night.

Surely I've missed something?

Re: When was the last time Wales won a 'must win' game?

We haven’t. Scotland twice, Romania, Russia, Ireland. Reading have lost four play off finals and a one off League game to win promotion too. Just for once in my life I want to see it happen but we need Croatia to do their bit first.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We haven’t. Scotland twice, Romania, Russia, Ireland. Reading have lost four play off finals and a one off League game to win promotion too. Just for once in my life I want to see it happen but we need Croatia to do their bit first.
    I didnt think we had. Yugoslavia in 76 also?

And was it iceland at the vetch? 80s?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post

Yes but Iceland wasn’t a final game in the group stages but it was a crucial result. Yugoslavia was over two legs but yes you could add that o the lust. It will typify our luck if Slovakia win tonight.

Russia in the last euros was a must win game

Last night.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Last night.

I’m not feeling any of the anxiety of previous crunch matches. That may change the closer we get to kick off, but the fact we all need wins sets this finale up lovely.

I’m looking forward to it, for once. Maybe beacuse I thought Giggs wouldn’t have got us this far.

Come on Wales!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamsarnie View Post

I’m not feeling any of the anxiety of previous crunch matches. That may change the closer we get to kick off, but the fact we all need wins sets this finale up lovely.

I’m looking forward to it, for once. Maybe beacuse I thought Giggs wouldn’t have got us this far.

Come on Wales!!
    Hungary also having to win is interesting.

Dont think ive ever seen a game where both sides must win inside the 90 minutes or both face elimination.

You can't exclude the Euros though as everything from the Russia game onwards was 'must win' and the quarter final showed we could cope with that pressure in style.
    Not sure that we will see a cruyff turn in the box (Moore's turning circle is an interesting question) but let's see what this team can do !

It could be argued that Tuesday is not a must win game as a play off place (a definite must win) could see us still qualify.

Even though we will be favourites to beat Hungary it will still be a nervous game for the spectator.
    I just hope we can settle early and Kiefer Moore has his his shooting boots on as if he is as wasteful as last night, we may well see what we've got used to seeing over the years in these type of situations.

Even though Ashley Williams is not the player he once was and also is not Giggs's favourite, could we see him recalled for his experience?

Looks like we have another opportunity on Tuesday.

Apart from the euros at the tournament was it 1958 in the play off v Israel?

Surely I've missed something?
    Belgium in Lille 2016. (Missed the apart bit in that quote)

Quote Originally Posted by caerkid View Post
    You can't exclude the Euros though as everything from the Russia game onwards was 'must win' and the quarter final showed we could cope with that pressure in style.
    Not sure that we will see a cruyff turn in the box (Moore's turning circle is an interesting question) but let's see what this team can do !

Looks like we will have two bites of the cherry though, as the beeb are saying that we are now guaranteed a playoff spot as well

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Looks like we will have two bites of the cherry though, as the beeb are saying that we are now guaranteed a playoff spot as well

....we were before ko yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Yes but Iceland wasn’t a final game in the group stages but it was a crucial result. Yugoslavia was over two legs but yes you could add that o the lust. It will typify our luck if Slovakia win tonight.
    Thankfully Slovakia didn`t come good on the night although it was a bit squeaky at half time.

Although we have the play off spot as back up, a win vs Hungary is a proper way to qualify and their recent form, since beating us, isn`t great really, just the 1=0 win vs Azerbaijan and 4 defeats from the last 5 games. No reason to sit back and play with nerves, better to get at them and qualify in style.

We needed a point against Israel and drew 0-0

We won our group to qualify for the 1976 Euros. I don’t remember the pattern of results but with smaller groups back then I’d imagine there was a must win game. It always annoys me that the 76 team doesn’t get the credit they deserve just because the tournament was organized differently.

We needed to beat Russia in the Euros to ensure qualification to the knock out rounds and stuffed them 3-0.

Remember the Iceland game and singing are you watching England. The old man told us we needed to wait for the final whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by Toggs View Post
    We won our group to qualify for the 1976 Euros. I don’t remember the pattern of results but with smaller groups back then I’d imagine there was a must win game. It always annoys me that the 76 team doesn’t get the credit they deserve just because the tournament was organized differently.
    I think these are accurate from that ECQ. I remember bedlam on the Bob. behind the fences and the German Ref. and Yorath .......

Group 2
    Main article: UEFA Euro 1976 qualifying Group 2

]
    Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
    1 Wales 6 5 0 1 14 4 +10 10 Advance to play-offs
    2 Hungary 6 3 1 2 15 8 +7 7
    3 Austria 6 3 1 2 11 7 +4 7
    4 Luxem. 6 0 0 6 7 28 −21 0

312 04.09.1974 Vienna Austria 1- 2 ECq
    313 30.10.1974 Cardiff Hungary 2- 0 ECq
    314 20.11.1974 Swansea Luxembourg 5- 0 ECq

315 16.04.1975 Budapest Hungary 2- 1 ECq
    316 01.05.1975 Luxembourg Luxembourg 3- 1 ECq

320 19.11.1975 Wrexham Austria 1- 0

322 24.04.1976 Zagreb Yugoslavia 0- 2 ECq

326 22.05.1976 Cardiff Yugoslavia 1- 1 ECq

toughest for me was our must win against Romania and Bodes pen miss in 93, so close yet, so far, USA would have been a great World, cup, the only home country in the world cup, would have been great

That game really effected my mood for weeks, looking back i hit the booze hard after it, Yea sure i was a young bloke so did like a drink

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    toughest for me was our must win against Romania and Bodes pen miss in 93, so close yet, so far, USA would have been a great World, cup, the only home country in the world cup, would have been great

That game really effected my mood for weeks, looking back i hit the booze hard after it, Yea sure i was a young bloke so did like a drink
    I still can't believe that Bodin took that pen

I do wonder whether these people do it on purpose....

BBC Wales news are reporting on our "must win game tomorrow night, victory will see us reach our second ever major tournament"