+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Giggs - done alright or not (for Wales)?

Ryan Giggs - done alright or not (for Wales)?

Personally think he's done ok. He's introduced youngsters, given the, the opportunities and experience. Additionally Wales play a style of football that actually tries to win matches.

I've enjoyed watching this campaign more than the 2018 World Cup qualifiers although it's arguable Wales are facing lesser quality (Croatia apart).

It's down to the last game and they've got a chance. Isn't that all that could've been expected?

Re: Ryan Giggs - done alright or not (for Wales)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Personally think he's done ok. He's introduced youngsters, given the, the opportunities and experience. Additionally Wales play a style of football that actually tries to win matches.

I've enjoyed watching this campaign more than the 2018 World Cup qualifiers although it's arguable Wales are facing lesser quality (Croatia apart).

It's down to the last game and they've got a chance. Isn't that all that could've been expected?
    I hope if we qualify Giggs gets the respect he deserves, though I accept that’s unlikely from Wales fans.

I think he’s doing a great job.

Win in Tuesday and no one will care.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Win in Tuesday and no one will care.....
    For the majority that's true, although if they lose there'll be hissy fits all over Wales.

Any manager would struggle if both Bale and Ramsey aren’t available. If both had played every game we’d have qualified by now

Wales are unbeaten in 5 games since the two away losses to Croatia and Hungary. They have registered 3 wins and two draws.

CardiffCitySince1927

I feel like this is why Giggs is still in charge. He has managed Wales for 18 games and made us look shambolic and a shadow of the 2016 side even three years down the line. In 2016, we built a team on defensive stability and the ability to nick a goal on the counter with Bale up top. Instead, Giggs has decided to get us to build from the back acting like a second Swansea.

So far we’ve beat:
    China, Republic of Ireland (x2), Trindad and Tobago, Slovakia, Azerbaijan (x2) and Belarus.
    None of these strike any real fear into most countries, the exception being the old and decrepit Slovakia side trying to rebuild.

So who have we lost to?
    Uruguay, Denmark (x2), Spain, Albania, Croatia, Hungary.

The teams we have lost two are worlds above the teams we have beaten, with exception to Albania. Hungary and Denmark are beatable for a side like ours however, in all of these games it never looked like we could actually hit a barn door.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    I feel like this is why Giggs is still in charge. He has managed Wales for 18 games and made us look shambolic and a shadow of the 2016 side even three years down the line. In 2016, we built a team on defensive stability and the ability to nick a goal on the counter with Bale up top. Instead, Giggs has decided to get us to build from the back acting like a second Swansea.

So far we’ve beat:
    China, Republic of Ireland (x2), Trindad and Tobago, Slovakia, Azerbaijan (x2) and Belarus.
    None of these strike any real fear into most countries, the exception being the old and decrepit Slovakia side trying to rebuild.

So who have we lost to?

The teams we have lost two are worlds above the teams we have beaten, with exception to Albania. Hungary and Denmark are beatable for a side like ours however, in all of these games it never looked like we could actually hit a barn door.
    Don’t know how you can say he’s made us look shambolic. Played well at times

He reminds me of when Toshack came in he had to move the old guard on and introduced youngsters, one could argue Tosh kick started the evolution of Wales success.

Giggs will always be disliked as he played for Man Ure and took the choice to prolong his career by not playing in every friendly or competitive game ?

He is doing ok. He got it spot on last night.

This new qualification system seems a joke. Seems like everyone is qualifying.

If we play as well as we did yesterday again on Tuesday it will show a sign of real progress being made. The players look like a cohesive unit and played some lovely stuff in the first half. Rambo showed us what we've been missing. We might just hit our peak next summer if we manage to qualify. I'm optimistic.

Think we’ve got better as the qualifiers have gone on.

He’s introduced a few players that look to be doing well for us as well.

He’s improving with time in the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Any manager would struggle if both Bale and Ramsey aren’t available. If both had played every game we’d have qualified by now
    And them playing their best, I don’t think Rambo has since we beat Russia in the euros and Bale since qualification for that. Be nice to see them all have blinders again.....I’m going 3-0

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post

So far we’ve beat:

So who have we lost to?

I'm with you here, don't really think Giggs is up to the job.

The Republic of Ireland team we beat twice was the worst Irish side since the 80s. A decent experienced manager would have got us draws against Denmark, Albania and Hungary, not defeats.

However I'll reserve my judgement til after the Hungary game on Tuesday

Coleman would have never tried half the players Giggs has.

We would still be playing the 2016 side and losing.

Giggs has dragged us into the new era

Not a fan of his tactics at times though

One thing he has done well is bringing Moore into the side. When we played Azerbaijan in Cardiff we struggled. We lacked someone with a physical presence. Moore provides that, wins lots of headers and holds the ball up well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    One thing he has done well is bringing Moore into the side. When we played Azerbaijan in Cardiff we struggled. We lacked someone with a physical presence. Moore provides that, wins lots of headers and holds the ball up well.
    Would many have the guts to have brought Moore in?

Credit where it’s due to Giggs as I was wanting him out after Albania

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

I don’t this so. It was a brave call and it’s worked.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Agreed. Most managers would just play Bale up top but Giggs does make some interesting and brave decisions.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he goes onto be a good Premier League manager.

I get that some people have got it in for him but to qualify second in this group would be a decent achievement.

I'll eat some humble pie and admit I absolute slated both his appointment and his realistic prospects of staying for the long term, particularly after the Croatia and Hungary games. That being said, he has introduced a hell of lot of new, young players who are all capable of playing at the top level, I think even Morrell could given time, I imagine Bristol won't be loaning him out again next season! The team is completely different to the euro 2016 team, so in fairness, if we qualify he's moulded a young team together with a very successful result

If we qualify he's done a great job, and hopefully this team will kick on and make the most of Bale and Ramsey's later years for a world cup qualification push.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    I'll eat some humble pie and admit I absolute slated both his appointment and his realistic prospects of staying for the long term, particularly after the Croatia and Hungary games. That being said, he has introduced a hell of lot of new, young players who are all capable of playing at the top level, I think even Morrell could given time, I imagine Bristol won't be loaning him out again next season! The team is completely different to the euro 2016 team, so in fairness, if we qualify he's moulded a young team together with a very successful result

If we qualify he's done a great job, and hopefully this team will kick on and make the most of Bale and Ramsey's later years for a world cup qualification push.

Yep absolutely. Fingers crossed we qualify. If we do then we will go into the 2020 finals with a lot more depth than 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Yep absolutely. Fingers crossed we qualify. If we do then we will go into the 2020 finals with a lot more depth than 2016.
    Hopefully Matondo, Allen, Williams, Ampadu and Brooks all have big second halves to the season, selection dilemma for Wales for probably the first time ever on this scale.

I think you have to say he's doing well. With Such a large turnover of players to contend with and introducing lots of young players to the squad, plus a new style of play, it was always going to take a bit of time to click.

'IF'...we can beat Hungary on Tuesday and qualify for the Euros automatically, he would have a qualifacation at the first attempt under his belt and not many Welsh managers can boast that!

When you think about it Coleman probably didn't get enough criticism for failing to qualify for Russia. Plenty of credit in the bank from the Euros. But we dropped points at home to Georgia, Serbia and Ireland and it took a wonder goal from Ben Woodburn to get us past Austria. We should have done better in what was a very winnable group. I think in that campaign he relied to heavily on the old gaurd that saw us through France and didn't blood the youth early enough to freshen it up.

Anyway, lets hope they do the business on Tuesday, ready for another European advenure!

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown Unicorn! View Post
    I think you have to say he's doing well. With Such a large turnover of players to contend with and introducing lots of young players to the squad, plus a new style of play, it was always going to take a bit of time to click.

'IF'...we can beat Hungary on Tuesday and qualify for the Euros automatically, he would have a qualifacation at the first attempt under his belt and not many Welsh managers can boast that!

When you think about it Coleman probably didn't get enough criticism for failing to qualify for Russia. Plenty of credit in the bank from the Euros. But we dropped points at home to Georgia, Serbia and Ireland and it took a wonder goal from Ben Woodburn to get us past Austria. We should have done better in what was a very winnable group. I think in that campaign he relied to heavily on the old gaurd that saw us through France and didn't blood the youth early enough to freshen it up.

Anyway, lets hope they do the business on Tuesday, ready for another European advenure!
    Yep we dropped seven points at home to Ireland, Serbia and Georgia which was dismal.