+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Neil harris and young players- which ones will he bring through here?

Neil harris and young players- which ones will he bring through here?

Hes got a good record at milwall. Ben Thompson, Sid Nelson, Aiden O'Brien and Fred Onyedinma all had young debuts as teenagers and became a key part of his high energy team. Im pretty sure he will say bringing youngsters through here is one of his top priorities at his first press conference.

Which ones are in the best place to take advantage of this?

Re: Neil harris and young players- which ones will he bring through here?

We do have a few promising players so hopefully he has more progress than NW with our youth setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Hes got a good record at milwall. Ben Thompson, Sid Nelson, Aiden O'Brien and Fred Onyedinma all had young debuts as teenagers and became a key part of his high energy team. Im pretty sure he will say bringing youngsters through here is one of his top priorities at his first press conference.

Which ones are in the best place to take advantage of this?
    "good record"?
    Onyedinma now at Wycombe
    Nelson now at Tranmere
    Thompson a bit part player at Championship level
    O'Brien 8 goals in 78 appearances in the Championship as a striker

This looks like a record of throwing in youngsters who just aren't ready/good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    "good record"?
    Onyedinma now at Wycombe
    Nelson now at Tranmere

This looks like a record of throwing in youngsters who just aren't ready/good enough.
    Fair point but everyone has been asking to see youngsters here?

We will know very soon, I do remember his side pushed everone hard for a play off spot from a low point ( much like Warnock)

Had a few good cup runs into the later cup stages .

It does suggest he has motivation skills ,perhaps he was lacking financial backing to improve those achievements.

"good record"?
    Onyedinma now at Wycombe
    Nelson now at Tranmere

That's a bit unfair, O'Brien has played out wide and in midfield as much as he has played as a striker and he has thirty one goals in one hundred and sixty four appearances overall for Millwall according to Wikipedia - he's also played and scored for the Republic of Ireland.

As for Thompson, he's been a regular starter this season and I think you are seriously under estimating his ability given his Wikipedia entry

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_...er,_born_1995)

I watched five City players not look out of place at all yesterday in a good Wales Under 19 team in their match with Russia. Sam Bowen and Keenan Patten both started the game and played a big part in wresting control of the midfield from the Russians with their contrasting styles - they both looked good players at this level.

Harry Pinchard was an energetic and effective half time sub whose arrival coincided with the Welsh midfield's best spell of the game, while forwards Isaac Davies and Dan Griffiths made a good impression as subs with the latter winning a penalty in the last ten minutes - for a while, there were five City players out on the pitch for Wales.

Goalkeeper George Ratcliffe and attacking midfielder Sion Spence are both doing well on loan for a Barry team near the top of the Welsh Premier League with the former in the latest Wales Under 21 squad with Cameron Coxe. We have a strong group of 18-20 year olds currently and there are others I haven't mentioned who have a chance of making a good career for themselves in the game. If such a group were coming through at other Championship clubs, I'm pretty sure they would be getting first team chances and I'd say that, based on what he did at Millwall, their chances of getting game time for the seniors are better now than they were under Neil Warnock.

"good record"?
    Onyedinma now at Wycombe
    Nelson now at Tranmere

Sure that lad at Wycombe is doing alright.. that’s about the extent of my knowledge.

Coxe is the obvious one in the short term, especially with Peltier out of contract at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That's a bit unfair, O'Brien has played out wide and in midfield as much as he has played as a striker and he has thirty one goals in one hundred and sixty four appearances overall for Millwall according to Wikipedia - he's also played and scored for the Republic of Ireland.

As for Thompson, he's been a regular starter this season and I think you are seriously under estimating his ability given his Wikipedia entry

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_...er,_born_1995)

I watched five City players not look out of place at all yesterday in a good Wales Under 19 team in their match with Russia. Sam Bowen and Keenan Patten both started the game and played a big part in wresting control of the midfield from the Russians with their contrasting styles - they both looked good players at this level.

Harry Pinchard was an energetic and effective half time sub whose arrival coincided with the Welsh midfield's best spell of the game, while forwards Isaac Davies and Dan Griffiths made a good impression as subs with the latter winning a penalty in the last ten minutes - for a while, there were five City players out on the pitch for Wales.

Goalkeeper George Ratcliffe and attacking midfielder Sion Spence are both doing well on loan for a Barry team near the top of the Welsh Premier League with the former in the latest Wales Under 21 squad with Cameron Coxe. We have a strong group of 18-20 year olds currently and there are others I haven't mentioned who have a chance of making a good career for themselves in the game. If such a group were coming through at other Championship clubs, I'm pretty sure they would be getting first team chances and I'd say that, based on what he did at Millwall, their chances of getting game time for the seniors are better now than they were under Neil Warnock.
    Can they hoof it, though? 🤪

Lets see, im not one who believes youngsters should be given a pass into the first team just because its nice.

Kids football is not a true reflection of ability. Its the manager who watches the players train and if someone was good enough eould be forcing their way into the team. If not happy with oppertunity try elsewhere.

Looking back at Wales U19 from 5 and 7 years ago theres probably about a 25% chance of making it as a pro and about 5% of those are performing at championship level.

I know little about the academy but would suggest the issue is not them being given oppertunity..i believe it is the players being brought in just arent good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Lets see, im not one who believes youngsters should be given a pass into the first team just because its nice.

Kids football is not a true reflection of ability. Its the manager who watches the players train and if someone was good enough eould be forcing their way into the team. If not happy with oppertunity try elsewhere.

Looking back at Wales U19 from 5 and 7 years ago theres probably about a 25% chance of making it as a pro and about 5% of those are performing at championship level.

I know little about the academy but would suggest the issue is not them being given oppertunity..i believe it is the players being brought in just arent good enough.
    Seems to me that "I know little about the academy" was all you needed to say.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post

Without looking up each player from this under 19 squad from 2016, I counted nine who had played first team football for Football League clubs;-

http://www.dragonsoccer.co.uk/newsit..._from=&ucat=6&

There are eight from this squad from 2015;-

There's seven from this group from 2014

Five in this one from 2013;-

There are six from this group in 2012;-

As I mentioned, the figures I've given are players I'm aware of who have made it into senior teams, I'm sure they would have been higher if I had researched every player listed - your figures are wrong.