+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neil Harris - First Press Conference

Neil Harris - First Press Conference

Excited?

A privilege to be here. A great opportunity. I left Millwall seven weeks ago and recharged the batteries. This is a wonderful job to come into, following Neil who did a fantastic job here. I’ve got a wonderful group of players who have achieved individually and collectively

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-live-17272116

Interview process

Whirlwind. Meetings, meeting Ken, talking to Vincent on the phone. It’s been a whirlwind 48 hours rather than five or six days. Really positive. There’s some good people.

Football principles on and off the field?

Off the field is to manage with humility. When I went to Millwall in my first job, I had to build relations between the terraces and the football pitch, academy and the first team and try to bring it all together. There’s been a wonderful recent history at this club, for everybody. So I will bring humility to the club, huge energy and excitement about the group. Principles on the pitch, to be the manager the same way I played. Wholehearted, aggressive, passing the ball, getting it forward the right times. Working with a group of players who have been recruited previously, it’s not a revolution overnight. We want to be an aggressive team.

Club needed a different set of principles?

I’m a different person to Neil, younger and a different way of working. Different schedule and training methods, so the players will have to get on board with that quickly. On the pitch, you have to work with the players you’ve got at your disposal straight away and guide them. You can’t go from being Millwall, Cardiff City to Manchester City overnight. I want to maximise a good group of players.

Re: Neil Harris - First Press Conference

Promotion, aims?

To get to know the players, meet all the staff and try to get across my principles in a short space of time. Tough week because we’ve got players away and we have to prepare for the three games next week. New to the job and to the area, the change is vast. I know the principles of the fans, I’ve played here myself.

Fans reaction, not Neil Warnock, but Warnock-like?

What you’re referring to is the club previously and the way we played (Millwall). Getting the ball forward quickly, some principles I will stick to, some I want to adjust now. How I’ve come through as a coach I want to stick to some of them. I don’t think there is a Neil Warnock mark II. I will be respectful to the players I’ve got. There has to be a process of change, it won’t be overnight. I want to adjust the mindset of the players, not just one style of play. Top-six finish is ultimately the aim, I won’t make any promises because we have to earn the right. It’s not easy when you come out of the Premier League to get there. You get fans over by winning games of football and being yourself.

Underwhelmed fans?

I’m not on social media, but I’m also understanding. I know how football works, everyone wants a big name and someone who has won the world cup. No disrespect to Millwall, I’ve come from a club at a different level to what Cardiff is at. I will always do my best for Cardiff City. I played at Ninian Park, played a lot against Cardiff teams, fans want to see players have a go. I can promise them we won’t fall short of competing and doing our best.

No (not worked with players before), that’s positive. Fresh voice, fresh ideas, fresh training sessions, fresh ideas

Hesitation bringing David Livermore?

No, he is a wonderful guy and a fantastic coach, we work well together. Andy Dibble stays as goalkeeping coach. I look forward to working with the staff.

Chats with Vincent Tan?

Vincent wants to be successful. He’s been very positive with me and I look forward to trying to repay the favour. There’s lots of ways to improve the club, results first and foremost. There’s lots to build on at this club. The academy, I want to work close with the academy. You look at the squad and I certainly want to build that relationship with the academy. Some plans moving forward with the club to progress that and produce a pathway to come through.

Excited?

I hope it comes across like I am. I have huge energy. It’s a wonderful club. I’ve loved every time I’ve played at Cardiff City. I like to win and that’s important to me.

Warnock input?

I don’t think so. You’d have to ask Ken (Choo) or the board about that. I’ve had a very good relationship with Neil and he sent me a wonderful text on the weekend and I’ll speak to him soon. He wished me all the best and that we’d have to have a chat. Shows the quality of the man.

Time on your side, assurances?

I’m here to win games of football. Results dictate longevity in football management. The board want to be successful. I want to climb the table as quickly as possible.

Uniting the fans with style of play?

You unite fans by players giving their all for the club. Trying to find the right style of play helps. Fans will always have an opinion. You can’t win people unless you win football.

Looking forward to being in Wales?

I’m moving to the area. I saw Ryan Giggs last night and he wished me all the best. Getting to know the area is vital to me and being part of the community.

35 shots on goal?

I’ve not made any promises about making 35 shots a game (laughing). We want to play attack-minded football, press high and winning it back high. Big on set plays. A successful avenue for the club given the players they’ve recruited over time.

Vincent demands?

The owner and the board are rightly demanding of the football club and want to achieve. You have pressure to succeed from fan base and owners. And I want to achieve.

You as a player here?

I had a wonderful time. It’s been reported and I’ve gone on record to saying I made a mistake. I had a month here and played with some wonderful people, Kav and Peter Thorne and at the time I made a family decision for various reasons. My time here, the fans were brilliant.

January window?

First and foremost, we’ve got six weeks until the window opens. I need to assess the players I’ve got. I need to assess them and see where we are at with the group.There are things I might want to tinker with and style of play and things like that. The window is key, but January is difficult. All I’ve said to the board is let me assess the players and we will see where we are at.

No guarantees with how much money I will have. There are some good players.

Preparing teams to play Cardiff?

Difficult team to play against. Difficult players to play against. I don’t want to change too much overnight and change the environment and culture slightly over time. A capable group of players.

What have you been doing in the interim?

Learning, been to a couple of clubs to watch managers and coaches work. I have watched a lot of football in the last 72 to 96 hours as well. Gaining knowledge.

I wanted to manage. I needed a recess period just to recharge the batteries.

What can fans expect from you?

My pride in doing my job, work ethic and I am demanding? I can’t promise the fans I will win the next six games. But there will be a hunger and a work ethic. My ethos as a person and with way I bring my children up will have to transpire into the team. They will play the way I play the game.

Fresh chance?

Fresh chance for everybody. Follow me, my training, my ideas, we want to hit the ground running straight away. Anyone who wants to be a part of this. Not just because you were good last season or the season before. Even players who haven’t been involved as much, there’s a chance for them too. What I would say to them is performances dictate selection.

Goalscoring, firepower?

That’s something I need to assess first hand. You need to see them on the training (ground). A couple of injuries and suspensions. Confidence is big for all footballers in modern society. Building confidence and trust. I believe, looking at players my teams have played against, there’s some really good players here. Encourage them to be positive. I want to be successful. They expect humility from me and that will stay.

I’ll be going to the game tomorrow night. What a great occasion and opportunity. The passion inside the stadium and I want to see a home win. Welsh for the night.

'Fans expect the players to have a go?'
    I think we're expecting more.than that Neil

I think he came across well. Seems driven to not be Warnock II.

Talking the talk. Just hope the fan base can unite around him. Hoping the vision for the academy is genuine and he isn't just ticking a box.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    'Fans expect the players to have a go?'
    I think we're expecting more.than that Neil
    What are you expecting? A totally different approach across the board that brings about immediate success?

From all of that there is pressure to make the playoffs. Having a radical departure from what we have now isn't going to bring that. We're not going to be spending much in January, that seems clear, neither is there going to be a big clearout of players.

It seems Harris' hands are quite tied, same as anyone else coming into the job. Side made in the image of Warnock and has played largely to its strengths isn't going to ditch those strengths immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Talking the talk. Just hope the fan base can unite around him. Hoping the vision for the academy is genuine and he isn't just ticking a box.
    Yes, that was the biggest thing for me.

See how it goes init. I wasn't exactly upbeat about his appointment however I'm all for giving him and the team our best support and we go on from here. Seems to talk a bit of sense in his interview so lets just get on with it.

Some of the weekends posters comments on here have been really draining to read so a bit of positive attitude from the new gaffer is more than welcome.

Comes across a genuine guy. What you see is what you get. I never felt that was the case with Warnock who I thought played the fans card for his own gain. Slade, another one full of empty sound bites. Neil Harris wears his heart on his sleeve and I dont think we will see the everyone but myself blame culture weve had from the last two long term managers.

Underwhelming maybe but unfair to write the guy off before hes been allowed to put his own stamp on the team.

Welcome Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    What are you expecting? A totally different approach across the board that brings about immediate success?

From all of that there is pressure to make the playoffs. Having a radical departure from what we have now isn't going to bring that. We're not going to be spending much in January, that seems clear, neither is there going to be a big clearout of players.

It seems Harris' hands are quite tied, same as anyone else coming into the job. Side made in the image of Warnock and has played largely to its strengths isn't going to ditch those strengths immediately.

We all want to see sexy football but its not going to happen overnight. Trollope tried to make too many changes to the style too quickly and so maybe a slower transition is needed.

A lot of the basic principles seem to be the same as Warnocks but he does talk about having a plan B. Something Warnock never had. Changes always like for like. Closest thing to a Plan B was throwing the centre half upfront for the last 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

We all want to see sexy football but its not going to happen overnight. Trollope tried to make too many changes to the style too quickly and so maybe a slower transition is needed.

A lot of the basic principles seem to be the same as Warnocks but he does talk about having a plan B. Something Warnock never had. Changes always like for like. Closest thing to a Plan B was throwing the centre half upfront for the last 10 minutes.
    Agreed. We might even have a striker whose job is to get into the positions to score goals, full backs to compliment wingers and less of the standing off the opposition and giving them all of the ball. Little things that we can do straight away.

Comes across a genuine guy. What you see is what you get. I never felt that was the case with Warnock who I thought played the fans card for his own gain. Slade, another one full of empty sound bites. Neil Harris wears his heart on his sleeve and I dont think we will see the everyone but myself blame culture weve had from the last two long term managers.

Underwhelming maybe but unfair to write the guy off before hes been allowed to put his own stamp on the team.

Welcome Neil
    Agree with that and if we get aggression, fast paced football that sees us on the front foot with a little bit of ball to feet thrown in then the fans will quickly get behind him and won’t be underwhelmed for long.

I’ll watch the next 3 or 4 games with excitement.... I didn’t even bother paying for the last 3 games we’ve played.

Welcome Neil
    Completely agree, after hearing that press conference I'm feeling a bit more optimistic. It might go to shit but he sounds a good bloke and he's saying the right things. Looking forward to Charlton away now.

Wonderful.

Best of luck to him.

Good conference from him, doesn’t feel like he’s given the usual scripted shite you get here.

Not who I would have wanted last week but let’s get behind him now

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Agreed. We might even have a striker whose job is to get into the positions to score goals, full backs to compliment wingers and less of the standing off the opposition and giving them all of the ball. Little things that we can do straight away.
    I hope so. He talks about pressing the opposition high up the pitch so we will see. Fresh face, fresh ideas. Even if those ideas are not a million miles away from the previous manager then just having a fresh face implement them, change of training.etc it will hopefully giver the lads a lift, especially those have been frozen out. Some unfairly.

That all sounds pretty positive although would not have expected otherwise, best of luck to him.

I hope so. He talks about pressing the opposition high up the pitch so we will see. Fresh face, fresh ideas. Even if those ideas are not a million miles away from the previous manager then just having a fresh face implement them, change of training.etc it will hopefully giver the lads a lift, especially those have been frozen out. Some unfairly.
    For me the academy is the biggest issue longer term.yer, we need to perform on the pig but I would like to see early changes at the academy.
    People have mentioned the extra costs of a category 1 academy, however, given the wasted money in the transfer Arter I would want Neil Harris to fight to get that budget

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    For me the academy is the biggest issue longer term.yer, we need to perform on the pig but I would like to see early changes at the academy.
    People have mentioned the extra costs of a category 1 academy, however, given the wasted money in the transfer Arter I would want Neil Harris to fight to get that budget
    ‘Performing on the Pig’? Is that some sort of East End ritual he uses for team building?

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    In Neil Harris defence its not his job to be fighting for the academy budget. Hes been given the role of First Team Manager, and hes only on a 2.5 year contract. Therefore hes not been employed to overhaul the academy and see the benefits of it in 5 or 10 years.

Its up to others within the club to come up with the strategy and budget for the Academy, especially in the long term.

Harris will be judged on first team results, that is clear from his interview. There is clearly an expectation from those above him to rise up the table asap, and dare I say it, still expecting to finish in the play-offs.

He talks about creating a pathway and thats all we can ask of him at this stage and even then only if the players are good enough. I certainly hope to see more of them given a chance, especially in the cup games. Also, if this season turns into a dead rubber towards the end of the season as they did in Slade and Warnocks first seasons I certainly hope to see some given the chance then.