+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We need a Willie Boland in midfield now

We need a Willie Boland in midfield now

Sod all this messing about , hard times call for hard men , in the middle of January our success or not this season will be based upon a ball winner prepared to roll up his sleeves and get stuck in

If I was Neil Harris that would be the area I would look at first

Perhaps Joe ralls is that man

Blood and thunder gets you promoted , not tippy tappy keep ball

Get into em !

Bluebirds ! Bluebirds !

Re: We need a Willie Boland in midfield now

Boland was great at rolling his sleeves up.
    Sadly he wasn't a footballer who could pass from here to there a prerequisite of modern football.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Sadly he wasn't a footballer who could pass from here to there a prerequisite of modern football.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post
    +1
    +2. Was totally out of his depth at this level when we won promotion in 2003. He was arguably out of his depth in League 1. Strong tackler but made Neil Etheridge look like Pirlo or Zidane.

Nor Water.

Danny Hill. Now theres a throwback from the dungeon days and he could pass the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    +2. Was totally out of his depth at this level when we won promotion in 2003. He was arguably out of his depth in League 1. Strong tackler but made Neil Etheridge look like Pirlo or Zidane.
    We wouldn't have got to the final ......and won it .....if it hadn't been for Boland's superb cross for Peter thornes magnificent header against the Wurzels

He more than held his own , along with mark Bonner , in the championship midfield under Lawrence

There was much more to Boland than his tackle , if you will pardon the expression

Cobblers , he wasn't supposed to be glen horror , he was a David batty type player

Is it just me but I cant remember Boland being a particularly hard tackling midfielder.

We've got Marlon Pack to do that job. We need a creative midfielder.

I’d rather have Willy Wonka!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Sod all this messing about , hard times call for hard men , in the middle of January our success or not this season will be based upon a ball winner prepared to roll up his sleeves and get stuck in

If I was Neil Harris that would be the area I would look at first

Perhaps Joe ralls is that man

Blood and thunder gets you promoted , not tippy tappy keep ball

Get into em !

Bluebirds ! Bluebirds !
    And perhaps a superb passer of the ball alongside him in the mold of McPhail , who in my humble opinion was a great provider to the front channel runners ?

Personally, I wouldn't bother with any of that. What we need is more direct football - lots of high balls straight into the opponents area and some good wingers who can run into it.
    If we dispensed with midfield altogether we could have four full backs to improve the defence, at least three wingers and two target men heading it down for them.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    We wouldn't have got to the final ......and won it .....if it hadn't been for Boland's superb cross for Peter thornes magnificent header against the Wurzels

He more than held his own , along with mark Bonner , in the championship midfield under Lawrence

There was much more to Boland than his tackle , if you will pardon the expression
    Aye, one moment of quality in 7 years. Bonner barely lasted in the Championship, Boland had one surprise season as more or less a regular before falling out of favour as well.

The mere fact that he had to drop back down to League 2 to find a club as nobody else wanted him says a lot.

This debate is 15 years old now! You were one of the very few to back up Willie back then. Hardly anyone else did.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Is it just me but I cant remember Boland being a particularly hard tackling midfielder.
    He won his fair share of balls but generally passed them straight back to the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    He won his fair share of balls but generally passed them straight back to the opposition.
    He was no Gunnerson

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    He was no Gunnerson
    There was that cross from the right in 2003.....

None of the aforementioned could hold a light to Ian Gibson. Nor Bobby Woodruff or Leslie Lea come to think of it. We used to sign midfielders of real quality in days of yore. Even more recently we had Kav and Koumas. What's happened ?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    None of the aforementioned could hold a light to Ian Gibson. Nor Bobby Woodruff or Leslie Lea come to think of it. We used to sign midfielders of real quality in days of yore. Even more recently we had Kav and Koumas. What's happened ?!!
    It would be of intrest if there any players with the skills you mention above applying thier trade in the Championship ?

It would be a very sad day indeed if players if their ilk were no longer found in the Championship.

Willie Boland, hard man? Do me a favour!
    He couldn't pass, couldn't score goals and COULDN'T TACKLE (pretty important for a hard man).
    He was brilliant at running around without actually doing anything though.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    And perhaps a superb passer of the ball alongside him in the mold of McPhail , who in my humble opinion was a great provider to the front channel runners ?
    Agree and possibly another Whittingham ?

Hopefully Harris will look at the 23’s and even the academy
    Aaron Bolger (midfielder) who has captained the 23’s every game he’s played oozes class and should get a start while Kieron Evans (2nd year academy) although younger is a classy attacking midfielder who scores for fun- plus he’s Welsh (from Bargoed) so we don’t really need to spend any money 💴
    Give these lads a game ⚽️😃👍

Cardiff’s use of academy players is extremely poor and they end up plying their trade elsewhere like Regan Poole who was bought by Man Utd and captained their U23’s (currently with MK Dons) and Rabbi Matondo - bit of a different story there - Man City came calling and we couldn’t match the money offered- he was sold to Schalke for a ten million pound profit 💴
    Rollin Menayese who is still only 21 was only offered a six month deal after his two year scholarship- he was the biggest centre half I’ve seen for a long time that could actually dribble out of defence with confidence and pass a ball.
    He’s actually on BT Sport tonight playing for Bristol Rovers if you fancy flicking back and for the Wales game.
    Point I’m making is we buy players in frustratingly instead of using the players we’ve nurtured ourselves 😟😟

Quote Originally Posted by Padraig1968 View Post
    Cardiff’s use of academy players is extremely poor and they end up plying their trade elsewhere like Regan Poole who was bought by Man Utd and captained their U23’s (currently with MK Dons) and Rabbi Matondo - bit of a different story there - Man City came calling and we couldn’t match the money offered- he was sold to Schalke for a ten million pound profit 💴
    Rollin Menayese who is still only 21 was only offered a six month deal after his two year scholarship- he was the biggest centre half I’ve seen for a long time that could actually dribble out of defence with confidence and pass a ball.
    He’s actually on BT Sport tonight playing for Bristol Rovers if you fancy flicking back and for the Wales game.
    Point I’m making is we buy players in frustratingly instead of using the players we’ve nurtured ourselves 😟😟
    I don’t think any of those are good examples, Rolin and Reegan haven’t done anything to suggest we should have kept them (apart from a potential fee from United for Regan I guess). Semi Ayjai is a perfect example of the clubs poor youth culture.

Sure he didn’t come from the academy, but he needed game time and we failed to give it to him. In the same summer we spend £6m on Flint, Semi goes to West Brom for cheaper and now is a regular starter for the side top of the division.