+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bring Flynn in?

Bring Flynn in?

If the club was ever looking for someone as scout, development officer or someone to help oversee youngsters getting a chance in the first team, why not get in Brian Flynn? Proven record with youngsters, knows the Welsh game inside out.

Re: Bring Flynn in?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If the club was ever looking for someone as scout, development officer or someone to help oversee youngsters getting a chance in the first team, why not get in Brian Flynn? Proven record with youngsters, knows the Welsh game inside out.
    Is he still alive?

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    Is he still alive?
    Lol, good point. He's 64. Assistant at Wrexham. Spring chicken compared with Warnock.

What Welsh game ? Is that coracle racing or something ?
    We play in the English League and we don't have any duty to develop Welsh football. That's something different and not what we're up to.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    What Welsh game ? Is that coracle racing or something ?
    We play in the English League and we don't have any duty to develop Welsh football. That's something different and not what we're up to.
    For a supposed intellectual (lol) you don't half talk some shit.

Where did I say we have a duty to develop Welsh football? I didn't.

Local talent has always had more of a connection with the fans. I wish we had a few good Welsh players in the team but only if they're good enough. Bringing through local talent cannot harm us. Other clubs pinch players from our doorstep, but what is wrong with suggesting we could do more to encourage local players to join us and provide them with opportunities?

If we're a club looking to live within its means, we need to start producing our own players. It would be fab if we unearthed another Aaron Ramsey or Robert Earnshaw. Hence my suggestion of Flynny. Few better within Wales than him. Had been scouting for the Jacks until this year and they've had some tidy players through recently.

And yes, I do think we have some obligation to help Welsh football. If we go for years without producing a Welsh international then it's a poor show. Your lack of enthusiasm regarding Cardiff City having a Welsh identity says it all.

Local talent has always had more of a connection with the fans. I wish we had a few good Welsh players in the team but only if they're good enough. Bringing through local talent cannot harm us. Other clubs pinch players from our doorstep, but what is wrong with suggesting we could do more to encourage local players to join us and provide them with opportunities?

If we're a club looking to live within its means, we need to start producing our own players. It would be fab if we unearthed another Aaron Ramsey or Robert Earnshaw. Hence my suggestion of Flynny. Few better within Wales than him. Had been scouting for the Jacks until this year and they've had some tidy players through recently.

And yes, I do think we have some obligation to help Welsh football. If we go for years without producing a Welsh international then it's a poor show. Your lack of enthusiasm regarding Cardiff City having a Welsh identity says it all.
    Harris said in his interview yesterday he wants to (try to) bring in some local talent with a connection to the club. Flynn would likely know these as well.
    And yes, as a welsh club we should want to help bring through welsh talent.

The intellectual is on a wind up fella.

I tend to reply along the lines of either “fhdhcjshdbb” or “am I **** reading all that” he soon goes away.

No, I don't go away because you don't listen. I just join stuff like literature, history and lateral thinking in your "too difficult " tray.

You moan for months about Neil Warnock being an outdated, useless manager then ridicule/criticise the new managerial appointment of Neil Harris (before doing a flying U turn and stating you will give him the benefit of the doubt), only to then recommend that we employ Brian Flynn, who if anyone is out of date or over the hill its him. Whats next - bring Mike England back as DOF with Terry Yorath as manager ?

Let's politely ignore your first sentence.
    In fairness you didn't exactly say that, but I see it a lot here and I can't understand how people conflate Cardiff City with Welsh football.
    It's a Malaysian owned English club ,( ie it competes in the English league), which is based in Wales. We have mainly English players together with Africans, Frenchmen, a Phillipino and various others from time to time.

It's very nice if any club brings talent through, but it's quite niche, and the fact that we're not very good at it is the least of our problems right now.

You're quite right that I have no enthusiasm or even the vaguest interest in Cardiff City having a Welsh identity. Are Norwich or Ipswich supposed to have an East Anglian identity ? Im not politically attracted to Welsh nationalism or anything , so why should that be a factor to me ?
    I should think that if you're very keen on localism, then you could find more fruitful ways to express it than football.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You moan for months about Neil Warnock being an outdated, useless manager then ridicule/criticise the new managerial appointment of Neil Harris (before doing a flying U turn and stating you will give him the benefit of the doubt), only to then recommend that we employ Brian Flynn, who if anyone is out of date or over the hill its him. Whats next - bring Mike England back as DOF with Terry Yorath as manager ?
    Exactly !

Please show where I've ridiculed the appointment of Harris? I've been relatively quiet about it. From memory I've suggested the appointment is underwhelming, but good luck finding any criticism or ridicule of him. You won't. You'll also do well to find me calling Warnock old fashioned. I've described his football primitive, I'm not the only one, but that's far from calling him old fashioned. Scouting and overseeing youngsters is a far cry from being a manager. Flynn is past his sell by date as a manager, but scouting is completely different. He has proven ability to spot players. Please tell me how that can be old fashioned?

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Let's politely ignore your first sentence.
    In fairness you didn't exactly say that, but I see it a lot here and I can't understand how people conflate Cardiff City with Welsh football.
    It's a Malaysian owned English club ,( ie it competes in the English league), which is based in Wales. We have mainly English players together with Africans, Frenchmen, a Phillipino and various others from time to time.

It's very nice if any club brings talent through, but it's quite niche, and the fact that we're not very good at it is the least of our problems right now.

You're quite right that I have no enthusiasm or even the vaguest interest in Cardiff City having a Welsh identity. Are Norwich or Ipswich supposed to have an East Anglian identity ? Im not politically attracted to Welsh nationalism or anything , so why should that be a factor to me ?
    I should think that if you're very keen on localism, then you could find more fruitful ways to express it than football.
    Straight in with the Welsh Nationalist argument. Do me a favour and stop trying to guess what I'm saying and actually read it, there's a good boy. Intellectuals don't put words in other people's mouths.

The laughable point of above is that if Cardiff City made those above appointments, you would be the first on the MB advising to give them a chance, it may turn out right

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    The laughable point of above is that if Cardiff City made those above appointments, you would be the first on the MB advising to give them a chance, it may turn out right
    You are right, I probably would give them a chance, which is a concept that is obviously totally foreign to quite a few people on this board. Most of these have now performed a U turn and are back tracking on the comments they made about Neil Harris previously, presumably because they realised how stupid it had made them look.

You are right, I probably would give them a chance, which is a concept that is obviously totally foreign to quite a few people on this board. Most of these have now performed a U turn and are back tracking on the comments they made about Neil Harris previously, presumably because they realised how stupid it had made them look.
    Did you find mine or do you retract your foolish statement?