+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: David Brooks

David Brooks

Nice to see him, Jonny Williams, and the other non-participants at the game last night, but where is he going to fit into our Euro 2020 plans? He's too good not to be one of the first names on the teamsheet, so where does he play and instead of who? We are blessed with attack minded players, except at No.9 which has been a bit of a conundrum. Kieffer Moore has stepped in and done an admirable job, however he will be up against a different class of defender at the Euro finals, so we will have to see how that goes. The defence and midfield just about pick themselves, so it will be interesting to see what Giggs does when everybody is fit.

Re: David Brooks

It may be you have answered your own question. The way we set up the only way he can come in at the moment is instead of Bale, James or Ramsey so unfortunately he may not get a starting place. The only way I can see him getting in is either if we put Bale up top and he plays instead of Moore or if we change formation with Ramsey dropping deeper. Like you say we are blessed with forward thinking midfielders but a bit thin up at striker.

Isn't it great to have options

A fully fit Brooks starts ahead of James for me.

Sometimes you can’t force players into a team just because they are good.

If he has to miss out because someone is playing better or he doesn’t fit into the team and it’s better for us, then it is what it is. He’ll have to play his way in.

I’m not a big fan of changing formations to fit one or 2 players in (if it’s working as it is)

Spain won a major competition without a recognised forward. I’d be tempted to put Bale in instead of Moore and have Rambo, Brookes and James in a three behind him.

It’s a bit of a champ man line up, squooshing everyone in, but Bale has played up front and the three behind him would be a great mix of creative attacking midfielders.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Spain won a major competition without a recognised forward. I’d be tempted to put Bale in instead of Moore and have Rambo, Brookes and James in a three behind him.

It’s a bit of a champ man line up, squooshing everyone in, but Bale has played up front and the three behind him would be a great mix of creative attacking midfielders.
    I don’t think we look good at all with Bale up top.

I think one of the major contributors to us qualifying was picking Moore as is brought a defined shape and stability to the team. With Bale playing centrally hes all over the place, trying to be provider as well as striker, and it rarely worked.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I think one of the major contributors to us qualifying was picking Moore as is brought a defined shape and stability to the team. With Bale playing centrally hes all over the place, trying to be provider as well as striker, and it rarely worked.
    Think that’s a fair call on Moore helping us look a better team over the last few games.

Apparently Bale doesn’t want to play the main striker role

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Apparently Bale doesn’t want to play the main striker role
    Winger, Wales, Golf, Striker, Madrid

We played with Bale up front in the first few qualifiers. It didn't work.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Brookes needs to get back to performing at club level first and then will need to earn his place in the starting line-up.

When everyones fit its Brookes or James.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I like Moore, his only weakness is that you know he is going to miss 4 out of 5 of his attempts on goal, which may hurt us against the better teams in the Euro 2020 finals. For me, the No.9 position is still a conundrum for any Wales manager, and it's a case of making do with what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I like Moore, his only weakness is that you know he is going to miss 4 out of 5 of his attempts on goal, which may hurt us against the better teams in the Euro 2020 finals. For me, the No.9 position is still a conundrum for any Wales manager, and it's a case of making do with what we have.
    The positives are that Moore holds the ball up really well and that helps the shape of the side. He is a threat in the air and wins plenty of headers and free kicks. He isn’t clinical and that’s the downside but we have yet to lose with him in the side so for now I think he has to start. It means a bench play for Brooks. The same for Harry Wilson but they will have a part to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    The positives are that Moore holds the ball up really well and that helps the shape of the side. He is a threat in the air and wins plenty of headers and free kicks. He isn’t clinical and that’s the downside but we have yet to lose with him in the side so for now I think he has to start. It means a bench play for Brooks. The same for Harry Wilson but they will have a part to play.
    He is good at what he does, and if he was clinical in the box he's be worth £80m, as he gets loads of chances in a game. It will be interesting to see how he does against the big teams. Hopefully Giggs will organise a few tasty friendlies before the main event.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    He is good at what he does, and if he was clinical in the box he's be worth £80m, as he gets loads of chances in a game. It will be interesting to see how he does against the big teams. Hopefully Giggs will organise a few tasty friendlies before the main event.