+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A very Guardianesque article on Gareth Bale.

A very Guardianesque article on Gareth Bale.

Guardianesque in a bad way - the way this country is going, maybe Bale's attitude is the right one? I don't really mean that, but Bale is only reflecting what millions of others think - I heard on the radio this morning that 14 million people had not bothered voting in 2017, that's more than voted for the Governing party.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ackle-politics

Re: A very Guardianesque article on Gareth Bale.

They’re (somewhat unfairly) using Bale as a beacon of just how uninterested a lot of people are in current affairs and/or politics.
    What they should be discussing is why this is:
    1. A society that has become self-obsessed and vacuous, resulting from the continuous dumbing down of pretty much everything, so that the lowest common denominator becomes the norm; witness the calibre of the modern politician.
    2. Mistrust of the aforementioned politicians because they don’t make them like they used to due to 1. above.

They have a point, that Bale should take more of an interest in our overlords, but so should all the other people who sit back and leave it to others.
    He just happens to be a very famous footballer.

Bale was the subject of an article in the Telegraph recently when he said he had no idea of who the PM was, has a social media PA to ensure he isn’t made aware of anything derogatory said about him, and bizarrely was described as having a Glamorgan accent - whatever that is!

Kevin Mitchell is a fool if he believes Bale is serious when he said " “I don’t even know who the prime minister is any more … I haven’t got a clue … I follow the golf, that’s about it.”

And then to base an article on those words makes him a cretin.

What a load of supercilious tosh that article is. Unfortunately the author nailed his colours to the mast early on by describing Bale as 'everyone's top knot idiot'. I agree totally with Point 1 of the Hooded Claw's response but why be so bitter in his description of Bale ?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Guardianesque in a bad way - the way this country is going, maybe Bale's attitude is the right one? I don't really mean that, but Bale is only reflecting what millions of others think - I heard on the radio this morning that 14 million people had not bothered voting in 2017, that's more than voted for the Governing party.

Unfortunately people distrust and dislike politicians so much that they become apathetic and cannot be bothered to get involved.
    It’s hardly surprising after the last three years of complete shambles. Thing is, rather than become apathetic which is what the tories in particular want, they need to get involved more, but of course they don’t. Most people swing towards the middle ground of most policies, yet we don’t have a middle ground party with enough power it would seem. The country could do with a strong Lib Dem’s, maybe more people would vote instead of thinking they cannot vote for the posh fool or the geography teacher......

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

A lot of pretentious twaddle. He quotes Bale saying he doesn't know who the prime minister is "any more..". Sounds like Bale was being a touch ironic..

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Kevin Mitchell is a fool if he believes Bale is serious when he said " “I don’t even know who the prime minister is any more … I haven’t got a clue … I follow the golf, that’s about it.”

And then to base an article on those words makes him a cretin.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Bale doesn't know who the current Prime Minister is, let's face it, he's not the brightest. The ironic thing is that if people like Bale were slightly more interested in Politics or at least the social aspect of it all, and he did raise his voice now and again, then maybe young people would listen and engage in conversation about what affects them politically. He's in a position where people will listen to him. Obviously, that's his choice, but for him not to know who the Prime minister is just goes to show that he lives in a bubble of self importance. He's come from nothing, a council estate in Whitchurch, it would be nice for people like Bale to recognise that thousands of people from the same background as him are getting a top end raw deal from this current government. People like Bale having an opinion wouldn't hurt.

Dear god, now I remember why I haven't purchased a newspaper since 2002 I think that's a big Whoosh .... for Mr.Mitchell

Supercilious tosh and pretentious twaddle, both correct observations. That's a few minutes of my life I'll never get back!

Wales. Golf. Top knots. Madrid. Politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Bale doesn't know who the current Prime Minister is, let's face it, he's not the brightest. The ironic thing is that if people like Bale were slightly more interested in Politics or at least the social aspect of it all, and he did raise his voice now and again, then maybe young people would listen and engage in conversation about what affects them politically. He's in a position where people will listen to him. Obviously, that's his choice, but for him not to know who the Prime minister is just goes to show that he lives in a bubble of self importance. He's come from nothing, a council estate in Whitchurch, it would be nice for people like Bale to recognise that thousands of people from the same background as him are getting a top end raw deal from this current government. People like Bale having an opinion wouldn't hurt.
    I agree with people with big followings etc could help with getting more people interested, but I’ve also seen them stacked for it as well so it’s no surprise many stay out of it.

What a load of sanctimonious claptrap.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I agree with people with big followings etc could help with getting more people interested, but I’ve also seen them stacked for it as well so it’s no surprise many stay out of it.
    Fair enough. I can see why they steer clear as well, especially with the prevailing attitude within the media to attack people for having an opinion. The thing is with politics is that it does all of us, yet it does seem a subject that many high profile people seem uncomfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    What a load of sanctimonious claptrap.
    What a shit reply.

Fair enough. I can see why they steer clear as well, especially with the prevailing attitude within the media to attack people for having an opinion. The thing is with politics is that it does all of us, yet it does seem a subject that many high profile people seem uncomfortable with.
    High profile people could help with many things, but I honestly I get why they keep their noses out.

Have a look at American politics and the stars out there told to stay in their own lane

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Wales. Golf. Top knots. Madrid. Politics.
    Wales. Golf. Top knots. Madrid. Politics,CARDIFF

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I bet Half the population of the country don’t know or don’t care who the Prime Minister is mainly because I guess the people who currently lead the political parties are either characterless/not likeable as individuals or so distant from the everyday reality of the lives that people lead they pursue their political aims in a vacuum that will come with a long term price tag we will all suffer from in the future

Maybe GB could talk to Harry Arter about getting involved with political messaging. Perhaps then Mr Mitchell will be able to write another spiteful and ragged article (posted less than an hour after the game ended last night - was there nothing else to talk about?). We're the ones who laud Bale's profession so much; the spotlight follows him rather than the other way around so perhaps it's no surprise he'd rather duck away from anything more.

Gareth Bale is a British multi-millionaire footballer playing in Europe. He has agents, financial advisors etc not to mention family and friends back in the UK. There is NO WAY he didn't know Johnson, the Brexit Troll was PM. He's just ****ing with everyone. As is his wont.

If anyone's the idiot, it is Mitchell for thinking that Bale was being serious when he said he didn't know who the PM was

What a horrible article, this isn't a critique of Bale its just an attack piece, and to compare him with Prince Andrew is vile

Bale is being very clever not to get drawn into talking about politics, he is an inteligent guy, I'm sure he knows who the bloody PM is.

What would it benefit Bale to give his opinion on Politics? It would only be twisted and manipulated to suit whatever narative that media outlet was trying to espouse. Best off playing stupid and avoid the inevitable hatchet job.

He is already getting slated for an outrage agaianst Madrid, that the Spanish press has created and a Madrid sporting director (Mijatovic) perpetuated, giving his own opinion is the last thing he would want to do! Pretty sure Bale has not stated 'I prefer Golf to Real Madrid' (even if that might be true )

We live in dark and humourless times.