Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 35

Thread: Lee Tomlin

  1. #1

    Lee Tomlin

    Given this was in the Bristol Post I doubt any of you read this interview.
    But an interesting set of comments on the big man.

    ......................................

    Former Bristol City striker Aaron Wilbraham has described 'crackers' Lee Tomlin as 'one of the best' he has ever played with.

    But he admits he saw a change in the midfielder once his loan move to Bristol City was made permanent.

    In a section of the podcast, he discusses his relationship with former Bristol City midfielder Lee Tomlin.


    Tomlin lit up Ashton Gate when he arrived on loan from Bournemouth in January 2016, scoring six goals and helping the Robins escape relegation.

    However, once he had signed a three year deal at the end of the year, Tomlin wasn't the player City fans first saw and he was shipped out to Cardiff a year later.

    Wilbraham was full of praise for Tomlin, but says he did get on the wrong side of Lee Johnson and was a 'heavy' player.

    He said: "He's a great player, Tommo. He's crackers.

    Lee Tomlin with Lee Johnson was funny. He brought him in on loan from Bournemouth and he smashed it. He single handedly kept us up in the league. The fans loved him, singing 'sign him up'.

    They gave him a three year deal on big money and I knew what Tommo was like. He'd come in and get comfortable.

    I had a feeling when he came back on this three year bumper deal that he'd be a different man.

    He was incredible in training, he used to chip the keepers at least six or seven times. He'd made this little noise as he did it.

    He's one of the best I played with.

    But when he got that new contract, he came in on the first day of pre-season in a brand new Bentley and Lee Johnson pulled him aside and said: 'You can't do that. Everyone knows you're the highest paid player, you don't have to come in in the best car'.

    He said he had to be an example to the young lads. (Tomlin) said: 'Gaffer, I'll let you do that in your old Range Rover.' He'd say it front of everyone."


    Wilbraham also spoke about Tomlin's diet and physique and that, despite his quality, he took no notice of the nutritionist brought in by the club.

    He was a heavy lad. He was at 22 per cent body fat and the gaffer wanted everyone at around seven or eight. But he was the best in training, the best at running, so why did he need to?

    We'd have these nutritionists in and we'd walk in the room with the geeky nutritionist stood at the front and on the big plasma screen it would have pictures of KitKats and cakes and crisps.

    Tommo would walk in the meeting knowing it was all aimed at him, so he'd say: 'Cor, that's making me feel hungry'.

    This nutritionist didn't know what to say, but he (Tomlin) didn't care.

    Johnson used to ask me to get him on the green tea because me and Marlon Pack used to drink green teas and get on the granola.

    The gaffer would say not to have a hot chocolate, but (Tomlin) would sit down and have marshmallows, flakes, loads of cream, Victoria sponge.

    He'd send a selfie to the gaffer with all these marshmallows. He's another lovable rogue.

    He's an unbelievable talent, he's just a bit of a clown."

  2. #2

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    So heís got a sense of humour. Good for him.

  3. #3

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    So heís got a sense of humour. Good for him.
    And heís a fat c**t

  4. #4

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    And heís a fat c**t
    Most funny blokes are.

  5. #5

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    That interview has been lifted from the Undr the Cosh podcast - I listened to it earlier.

  6. #6

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Iíve only read that part of it.
    I will listen to that.

    Consummate professional is Wilbraham.
    All round good guy.

  7. #7

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Tomlin seems to be a lad that needs to be loved , has ability , probably lacks self motivation for lengthy periods of time.

    In terms of payers trying when on loan, well there are thousands of them.

    He looks in decent shape now ,still think he struggles with 90 minutes though .

    Cant think of anyone at the club who has so much natural talent , pity his age is catching up with him .

    Another Harris challenge

  8. #8

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    Iíve only read that part of it.
    I will listen to that.

    Consummate professional is Wilbraham.
    All round good guy.
    He came across as a decent bloke. Had a few good stories to tell as well.

  9. #9

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Here you go:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVxCj0M23HY&t=179s

    Thats about half an hour longer than the podcast that I listened to... the Tomlin story was towards the end.

  10. #10

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Makes him sound like a bit of a bell.

  11. #11

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Makes it clear what the problems have been. Let's hope he's solved them

  12. #12

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Tomlin seems to be a lad that needs to be loved , has ability , probably lacks self motivation for lengthy periods of time.

    In terms of payers trying when on loan, well there are thousands of them.

    He looks in decent shape now ,still think he struggles with 90 minutes though .

    Cant think of anyone at the club who has so much natural talent , pity his age is catching up with him .

    Another Harris challenge
    He struggles with 45 minutes.

  13. #13

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    It's astonishing that a professional fotballer can't last 90 minutes.

  14. #14

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It's astonishing that a professional fotballer can't last 90 minutes.
    Best footballer at Cardiff by a country mile .
    He is a game changer , makes that pass or cross that can end with a goal .
    Whatever his attitude is , he is a fantastic footballer .
    The only one in our current lot I look forward to seeing what he is going to do every game .
    If you prefer hard working footballers I give you
    Alex Revell ....

  15. #15

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It's astonishing that a professional footballer can't last 90 minutes.
    of course they can if they train hard ,look after themselves as they age with diet etc , and are personally motivated .Im guessing Tomlin does not always deliver those key ingredients, hence him being dropped or benched by NW who doesn't suffer fools well ?

  16. #16

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Best footballer at Cardiff by a country mile .
    He is a game changer , makes that pass or cross that can end with a goal .
    Whatever his attitude is , he is a fantastic footballer .
    The only one in our current lot I look forward to seeing what he is going to do every game .
    If you prefer hard working footballers I give you
    Alex Revell ....
    I agree he's a great football, but imagine how good he could be if he acted like a professional though. He can't even last 80 mins in the championship.

  17. #17

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Best footballer at Cardiff by a country mile when he's in form and somewhere close to fitness. He can be a game changer, occasionally makes that pass or cross that can end with a goal. Whatever his attitude is, he's occasionally a fantastic footballer. The only one in our current lot I look forward to seeing what he is going to do every game, which is often nothing much if the truth be told.
    Edited for you.

    It'll be interesting to see what Harris can get from Tomlin. Probably an initial signs of genuine quality, followed by a string of anonymous performances like the one he put in against Bristol City.

  18. #18

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Best footballer at Cardiff by a country mile .
    He is a game changer , makes that pass or cross that can end with a goal .
    Whatever his attitude is , he is a fantastic footballer .
    The only one in our current lot I look forward to seeing what he is going to do every game .
    If you prefer hard working footballers I give you
    Alex Revell ....
    Maybe the likes of Messi and Ronaldo should only play for ten minutes every week using that logic.

  19. #19

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Tomlin seems to be a lad that needs to be loved , has ability , probably lacks self motivation for lengthy periods of time.

    In terms of payers trying when on loan, well there are thousands of them.

    He looks in decent shape now ,still think he struggles with 90 minutes though .

    Cant think of anyone at the club who has so much natural talent , pity his age is catching up with him .

    Another Harris challenge
    Didn't he suffer with Asthma - or am I thinking of another 60-minute City player ?

  20. #20
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    9,145

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Didn't he suffer with Asthma - or am I thinking of another 60-minute City player ?
    I think that was Sammy Ameobi.

  21. #21

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I think that was Sammy Ameobi.
    and Mendez Laing

  22. #22

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Maybe the likes of Messi and Ronaldo should only play for ten minutes every week using that logic.
    This is Cardiff City ..
    10 minutes from Tomlin is better than 90 minutes from the rest of team .
    He normally gives us 60 minutes before the wheels come off his Bogie ..

  23. #23

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Edited for you.

    It'll be interesting to see what Harris can get from Tomlin. Probably an initial signs of genuine quality, followed by a string of anonymous performances like the one he put in against Bristol City.
    That is ultra critical .
    He is by far the most talented player we have on our books.
    Neil Warnock wasted him by trying to have him do the box to box stuff.

    I look forward to seeing how he fairs for Neil Harris .

  24. #24

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    That is ultra critical .
    He is by far the most talented player we have on our books.
    Neil Warnock wasted him by trying to have him do the box to box stuff.

    I look forward to seeing how he fairs for Neil Harris .
    I reckon if heís not tasked with chasing back he will give us a lot more. The energy he saves not running around like a madman will probably get us more from a game than we gain defensively when heís wasting energy.

  25. #25

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Frustrating player, sometimes look quality other times the game passes him by a bit.

    In good shape he easily could have spent most of his career in the PL at a mid table sort of club.

  26. #26

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    That is ultra critical .
    He is by far the most talented player we have on our books.
    Neil Warnock wasted him by trying to have him do the box to box stuff.

    I look forward to seeing how he fairs for Neil Harris .
    Warnock didn't try to have him do the box to box stuff this season. Against Bristol he was invariably our player furthest forward when they had the ball.

  27. #27

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Warnock didn't try to have him do the box to box stuff this season. Against Bristol he was invariably our player furthest forward when they had the ball.
    So youíve never seen him track back when we lose the ball? I know even the laziest should be expected to track back as a minimum definitely, but not the way Warnock wanted it, players like Tomlin and Murphy should track back of course.. but their main reason for being on the pitch is to attack and not be a second right back or and other CDM.. which is how we played.

  28. #28

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    So you’ve never seen him track back when we lose the ball? I know even the laziest should be expected to track back as a minimum definitely, but not the way Warnock wanted it, players like Tomlin and Murphy should track back of course.. but their main reason for being on the pitch is to attack and not be a second right back or and other CDM.. which is how we played.
    Of course he tracks back, but he also stays further forward than any of our other players, which is hardly what you would expect from someone being asked to play a box-to-box role.

  29. #29

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    For me heís a player to come off the bench when we need a goal. I absolutely love watching him play.

    I think we are best suited to a counter attacking style and he doesnít fit into this. However as an option when teams are sitting back deep and invited us into them he is invaluable.

  30. #30

    Re: Lee Tomlin

    Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Of course he tracks back, but he also stays further forward than any of our other players, which is hardly what you would expect from someone being asked to play a box-to-box role.
    Someone else said box to box.

    I said Warnock had him playing like another midfielder and the wingers like extra L/RB

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •