+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The two CCFC’s kick off 11.30 this morning

The two CCFC’s kick off 11.30 this morning

Cardiff City academy take on Coventry City academy at Leckwith Stadium kick off 11.30 this morning.
    If you’re kids are bored and nowhere to go due to the shocking weather wrap up warm and take them along.
    FREE admission and under cover in the stand.
    You’ll get to see some of the potential city stars of the future- keep an eye on Siyabonga Ligendza upfront- physically imposing and incredibly quick for his age (16) and the classy marauding midfield maestro Kieron Evans (17) who scores for fun and more importantly is a local lad.
    It’s such a shame that the club don’t advertise these games to generate more interest and bigger attendances.
    If you can’t make it you can always follow the Cardiff City Academy Twitter feed ⚽️😃👍

Re: The two CCFC’s kick off 11.30 this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Padraig1968 View Post
    Cardiff City academy take on Coventry City academy at Leckwith Stadium kick off 11.30 this morning.
    If you’re kids are bored and nowhere to go due to the shocking weather wrap up warm and take them along.
    You’ll get to see some of the potential city stars of the future- keep an eye on Siyabonga Ligendza upfront- physically imposing and incredibly quick for his age (16) and the classy marauding midfield maestro Kieron Evans (17) who scores for fun and more importantly is a local lad.
    It’s such a shame that the club don’t advertise these games to generate more interest and bigger attendances.
    If you can’t make it you can always follow the Cardiff City Academy Twitter feed ⚽️😃👍
    I wish I could commit to this type of support, fabulous to know that there are fans out there like you and others who do , real City fans .

If you can’t make it you can always follow the Cardiff City Academy Twitter feed ⚽️����
    Won't be there this morning because of the lunchtime kick off for the first team, but I agree these games deserve better support because, in my experience, they usually make for a better watch than first team matches.

How is Issac Davies looking this year?

He’s well thought of and importantly again Welsh - I’ve left to get home and watch the Charlton game - we’re losing 1-0 at the break.
    Ironically the u23’s are playing Charlton at home (Leckwith) on Monday I think it’s a 1 o’clock KO 👍

I went down to watch the Academy today and I second what you say. My first time and really enjoyed it. Didn't know the players and no teamsheets but our 10 and 9 impressed. Great to see kids on both sides moving the ball forward on the ground, some slick passing and working the angles.

Will go down more often, well worth it. If we can get a Cat 1 the players will be playing at a higher level and we'll get more kids applying to join us. Fingers crossed.

Just what I was thinking while I was at the game, Bob. Really enjoyed watching the kids on both sides trying to play skillful, technical football. Left at half-time to catch the Charlton game as couldn't go up there today. Wondering if I did right........

I’m glad you enjoyed it Jeff !!
    As I’ve said it’s a shame the club don’t advertise is more because it would be nice for the players to experience larger crowds.
    I see it finished 0-1 so my decision in sneaking off half time to watch the first team was vindicated ⚽️👍

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mansfield View Post
    I went down to watch the Academy today and I second what you say. My first time and really enjoyed it. Didn't know the players and no teamsheets but our 10 and 9 impressed. Great to see kids on both sides moving the ball forward on the ground, some slick passing and working the angles.

Will go down more often, well worth it. If we can get a Cat 1 the players will be playing at a higher level and we'll get more kids applying to join us. Fingers crossed.
    There are no team sheets handed out for Academy games but if you go on the Academy twitter site they always put the team up before the game (in 1-11 order). They weren't at their best today but it sounds like you got a good feel for the style of play they're aiming at. My eldest came along for a game at the end of last season and was similarly impressed.

I went at half time too (and felt a bit dirty for doing so). Isaak Davies (the number 11 who hit the post early on when put through by a fantastic Eli King pass) missed a penalty and Kieron Evans hit the post in the second half and it finished 0-1. There are some excellent players in that squad and other good ones out on loan or in the under-23s so there are encouraging signs at that level.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    There are no team sheets handed out for Academy games but if you go on the Academy twitter site they always put the team up before the game (in 1-11 order). They weren't at their best today but it sounds like you got a good feel for the style of play they're aiming at. My eldest came along for a game at the end of last season and was similarly impressed.

I went at half time too (and felt a bit dirty for doing so). Isaak Davies (the number 11 who hit the post early on when put through by a fantastic Eli King pass) missed a penalty and Kieron Evans hit the post in the second half and it finished 0-1. There are some excellent players in that squad and other good ones out on loan or in the under-23s so there are encouraging signs at that level.
    I wasn't there today, but looking at the starting line up, it was probably one of the least experienced at that level the club has fielded - there's a definite transition from last season which is no bad thing I reckon as long as those who are not beign selected any more are getting regular football somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post

Thanks for the info. I don't have a smartphone and don't want to take my iPad to watch football so I'll have to do without. There should be a teamsheet IMHO.

I came away feeling I'd been watching the Forgotten Army. Couldn't the club run off a few copies of a two-sided A4 sheet with a mini-programme on one side and a team sheet on the other? You know, interview with players, player bio's, fixtures, results, brief match report - that kind of thing. Also why no announcement when the teams came out, saying who they were. Maybe Leckwith Stadium won't allow it, I don't know.

Just thinking the kids deserve a better presentation than what I saw. It's not a parks team after all.

Thanks for the info. I don't have a smartphone and don't want to take my iPad to watch football so I'll have to do without. There should be a teamsheet IMHO.

I came away feeling I'd been watching the Forgotten Army. Couldn't the club run off a few copies of a two-sided A4 sheet with a mini-programme on one side and a team sheet on the other? You know, interview with players, player bio's, fixtures, results, brief match report - that kind of thing. Also why no announcement when the teams came out, saying who they were. Maybe Leckwith Stadium won't allow it, I don't know.

Just thinking the kids deserve a better presentation than what I saw. It's not a parks team after all.
    There was an announcer at the Wales Under 19 international I saw at the stadium last weekend, so it's not down to them that there's not one. Team sheets will be produced at tomorrow's Under 23 match at the ground, so it does seem odd that there's nothing for the Under 18s when they play.

I know what you're saying but it's not something I'd be too critical of the club for. As far as I'm aware we're the only Academy team in the league who play in any kind of a stadium, the only footage I've seen of our away games seem to be taking place on training pitches or (ironically) parks. When I've tried to find details of Academy or DVP games on other clubs' sites they often haven't got a separate twitter feed for their youth section as we have. Not only do we put team details up but there's usually live updates on games too and match reports pop up on the club site. it could be worse.

However, the overall lack of information is frustrating. Youngsters seem to be making good progress then suddenly disappear and we're none the wiser as to whether they've been injured, disciplined, promoted to the first team squad (lol), released or are sorting out a move or loan deal. Games aren't well publicised, times and even venues get changed at short notice (as TOBW will tell you) and I'd have thought the whole experience is more disheartening than it needs to be for the youngsters. Like I said, we're not the worst but improvements could definitely be made.