+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What a terrible, desperately-boring game...

Re: What a terrible, desperately-boring game...

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Did you not see the lay off to Bacuna for the goal ? He deserved his applause just for that. We won the game because of it.
    It must be nearing Xmas, and I’m about to faint, but I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    It must be nearing Xmas, and I’m about to faint, but I agree.
    Maxine did okay at least he tried to win the ball, Bogle was awful when he came on, I couldn't understand why Hoilett wasn't replaced by Murphy after an hour he looked out of sorts last night?

A win is a win and I was pleased to see us get the three points, hopefully we will have 4_5 players coming back from injuries who will be challenging for positions, although I still think NH has got his work cut out and we should be looking to offload at least five players as soon as possible

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Don't post positive stuff on here mate you will get lynched

..winky wanky woo

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Did you not see the lay off to Bacuna for the goal ? He deserved his applause just for that. We won the game because of it.
    This post just proves how low expectations have dropped when it comes to rating centre forwards at Cardiff City. Yes, it was a great flick by him for the goal and it means people like you finally have something else besides headers to set up goals at Sheffield United and Ipswich and the fact that you don't think he missed a penalty against Wolves because his feeble effort was saved (and, anyway, it was a better missed penalty than Junior Hoilett's a few minutes later ) to try to show that he is worth the £6 million we paid for him nearly two years ago - based on all of the facts, Madine has been an awful signing as three assists and no goal proves.

I thought he was poor overall last night and that came after what I rated as a promising showing at Charlton where, for a period in the first half in particular, he was a real nuisance to their centrebacks.

It seemed to me that he mistimed an awful lot of jumps last night and so was nowhere near the ball when it reached him. I will say that anyone who has played up front for City in recent seasons deserves a degree of sympathy because it is a thankless task for most of the time and I applauded Madine when he came off because he's a City player and I did think he put the effort in, but at other clubs there wouldn't be the sort of clutching at straws with him that you are indulging in and I'd have Danny Ward back in the starting line up at Forest at Madine's expense based on his performance last night.

Its quite clear, you dont understand football. Madine played well last night, should never have been taken off. Great lay off for the goal, and held the ball up well often.
    Not you Bob btw, Joe Gillis response 😉
    Last edited by Talksport; 27-11-19 at 08:04. Reason: Missed who replying to.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Bogle....more effort needed Omar.
    Omar Bogle sounds like a Boney M song...

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Omar Bogle sounds like a Boney M song...
    One of those rare games that are won but you come away feeling a bit down. It was truly awful with little goalmouth action. We were not even interested in going forward in last 20 with any purpose. I think the criticism of Bogle is harsh, I recall him busting a gut to close down quite often but as it was only him doing it (up front) it was wasted energy. I expect he eventually thought, why bother.

On one of the other threads someone actually took the time to compile a list of Cardiff strikers since Chopra/ Bothroyd which I applaud for the endeavour but was actually shocking to read!!
    I know every chairman in every football club is looking for that naturally gifted striker that’s going to score twenty goals plus for the club but this list of ex City strikers a lot of whom have long been forgotten was woeful 😩😩😩
    Madine and Bogle will unfortunately for us soon to be the next additions to this calamitous list of costly duds....

In the cold, semi-darkness of dawn, I still have the same feeling I had when Slade did his worst - namely, what a waste of an evening!

Football is all about entertainment - getting fans off their seats. The lowest point was that Stoke free kick in the first half. The ref took forever to set it up. I staggered up when we scored as that was a sublime move, but the rest was ridiculously tepid, non-football. I thought Harris had motivated them at Charlton, but saw absolutely no evidence of that here. After Millwall at the Den, he must have been wondering about the quality of our support - which mirrored what was happening on the pitch. I honestly spent more time watching the female steward who was eyeballing some situation up in the stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    In the cold, semi-darkness of dawn, I still have the same feeling I had when Slade did his worst - namely, what a waste of an evening!

Football is all about entertainment - getting fans off their seats. The lowest point was that Stoke free kick in the first half. The ref took forever to set it up. I staggered up when we scored as that was a sublime move, but the rest was ridiculously tepid, non-football. I thought Harris had motivated them at Charlton, but saw absolutely no evidence of that here. After Millwall at the Den, he must have been wondering about the quality of our support - which mirrored what was happening on the pitch. I honestly spent more time watching the female steward who was eyeballing some situation up in the stand.
    Despite their position Stoke were always going to be a difficult proposition. At Charlton our defence was all over the place and last night Harris seemed to have sorted it. With Pack playing as a 5th defender, Tomlin high up the pitch, it was left to Bacuna - who had a very good game IMHO - to create anything. Small steps, but for this squad there will have to be an awful lot of them..

The performance match took hoofball to a whole new level. It was awful to watch and frankly I don't want to see football played often with 10 men behind the ball at home. For all the defensive frailties against Charlton at least the match was entertaining but last night's match was something else.

A few observations:

1) Bennett looks like a better player now that he is being allowed to make overlapping runs down the wing. On the other hand, Peltier kills our forward momentum whenever he touches the ball in the opposition half.

2) Etheridge's kicking remains terrible. How many times did one of his clearances go straight to a Stoke player?

3) Pack got caught in possession on multiple occasions, including once in our own penalty area! We won't get away with that against better opposition.

4) Tomlin was moving at glacial speed after an hour. He's a fine option off the bench, but I don't see how he can be a regular starter at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    A few observations:

1) Bennett looks like a better player now that he is being allowed to make overlapping runs down the wing. On the other hand, Peltier kills our forward momentum whenever he touches the ball in the opposition half.

2) Etheridge's kicking remains terrible. How many times did one of his clearances go straight to a Stoke player?

3) Pack got caught in possession on multiple occasions, including once in our own penalty area! We won't get away with that against better opposition.

4) Tomlin was moving at glacial speed after an hour. He's a fine option off the bench, but I don't see how he can be a regular starter at this level.
    Pretty sure he had an impressive run well after 60 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Almost as shocking as Madine, how he got applauded off baffles me. Perhaps I don't understand football
    Quite you do not understand football

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    A few observations 4) Tomlin was moving at glacial speed after an hour. He's a fine option off the bench, but I don't see how he can be a regular starter at this level.
    Tomlin had a shot from outside the area in the latter part of the game which the ‘keeper parried, guess who was first the ball for another strike at goal? Yep, Tomlin. He was a couple of yards in both pace & thought for the rest of the team last night.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Don't post positive stuff on here mate you will get lynched
    There is nothing wrong with stating the facts.

We are all really pleased to have won but it was absolutely rubbish to watch.

Why gloss over the truth?

[QUOTE @Scott Parker "Tomlin had a shot from outside the area in the latter part of the game which the ‘keeper parried, guess who was first the ball for another strike at goal? Yep, Tomlin. He was a couple of yards in both pace & thought for the rest of the team last night." [/QUOTE]
    Yeah, you're right - but maybe after an hour? And you didn't mention when he tried to beat 15 men and lost the ball in the penalty area. Have we been listening to Dai Hunt too much? I've had his grief all the way to Pantmawr on more than one occasion....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Almost as shocking as Madine, how he got applauded off baffles me. Perhaps I don't understand football
    I think that people are so desperate for him to do well (see Ronnie Moore) that they over compensate by complimenting even the mundane.

There is a degree of truth in encouraging players, especially when they are in the middle of a rough patch, but this one is lasting a long time.

In fact I have actually gone beyond thinking that Madine is useless to applauding everything that he does, (that isn’t obviously rubbish) wildly. 🙈

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Tomlin had a shot from outside the area in the latter part of the game which the ‘keeper parried, guess who was first the ball for another strike at goal? Yep, Tomlin. He was a couple of yards in both pace & thought for the rest of the team last night.
    That was in the 54th minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Yup, it was bloody dire. Stoke pressed and passed the ball a lot better than we did they just didn’t have it up front to actually score. Harris has got his work cut out, a lot of our players looked confused and quite frankly Hungover and knackered out there tonight. We need Morrison and Bamba back for a bit of stability and although Flint shows a presence he gives the ball away far too much. Could do with Ralls back in midfield for a bit more energy.
    Long way to go and yes a win is a win but it was bloody painful getting those 3 points tonight.
    Onwards and upwards as they say and 4 points out of 6 is a good start for the gaffer.
    Clean sheet so no immediate return for Morrisson from me.
    He is too slow and clumsy to be our first choice

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Madine was alright and I was disappointed when he came off. I guess Harris is trying to see a few players have a bit of game time, hence Bogle getting half hour.
    Bogle has done absolutely nothing since coming here.
    If Madine is showing improvement then Bogle could be moved on

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Bogle has done absolutely nothing since coming here.
    If Madine is showing improvement then Bogle could be moved on
    He’s scored the odd goal - unlike Gazlar...

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The performance match took hoofball to a whole new level. It was awful to watch and frankly I don't want to see football played often with 10 men behind the ball at home. For all the defensive frailties against Charlton at least the match was entertaining but last night's match was something else.
    Unkind and unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Seems to me people are determined already to not like neil harris.
    Do you think he’s going to be a successful manager? Do you think he’s going to creative, innovative, intricate, enterprising ?

Feel free to bookmark but It looks likely that he’s going to insist on a conservative approach with little in the way of entertainment.

Under normal circumstances that might be ok but after Warnock I could do with a palette cleanser and NH is more porridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Quite you do not understand football
    Witty response, I would send you to the top of the class but your punctuation is very poor.