+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neil Harris says squad is 'too big'

Neil Harris says squad is 'too big'

Cardiff City manager Neil Harris says some players will need to leave the club in January if he wants to make signings as his squad is "too big."

The Bluebirds head to Nottingham Forest this weekend having collected four points from Harris' first two games.

However, the boss admits he is expecting a balancing act in January.

"What I do know is it is a big squad and before we bring anyone in, in January, players will have to leave," he told BBC Sport Wales.

Harris, who succeeded Neil Warnock who left after three years in charge at the Cardiff City, says his squad size is proving problematic in training sessions.

"We are getting better all the time (with fitness), the players out are getting closer, it is getting to the stage where it is tough to put on XI v XI because of the amount of bodies we've got, in some way it is too many, it is too big a squad," he added.

"We work with it until January and then we start it there."

Harris admits fans will already be speculating as to what business the club will look to do but says he wants to give all his players an opportunity to impress.

"As a football fan myself following various teams I know how fans think, you start piecing plans together 'well he's not played, he has played, is he going to go, is he going to stay' it is far too early for all of that," he added.

"But it's what I am doing, I am sitting there thinking 'well I've not used him.' But it is nothing like that at the moment, everyone is getting an opportunity, because until you get everybody on the pitch, you just don't know about them."

Harris says he will be consulted over who replaces Andy Legg as Cardiff's under-23s manager. The Bluebirds announced Legg's departure last week.

"I want to work with the next under-23s manager very, very closely," he said.

"We want a free-flowing relationship between the academy and the first team.

"The club is crying out for opportunities for the youngsters to come through. It's not going to be overnight because of the size of the first team squad.

"But over the course of the next six to 12 months I want to see that pathway develop… the club and the fans want to see that as well. If they are good enough they will get the chance to play."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50600685

Re: Neil Harris says squad is 'too big'

He's right about the squad size isn't he.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Quantity rather than quality

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He is right but its has a sense of deja vu about it.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Do I smell a whiff of the Slade scenario or am I imagining things?

And unbalanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    It appears that way, but with the emphasis on bringing our own younger players through rather your Alex Revells.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    And unbalanced.
    Extremely

We have about 29 in the first team squad, and its ridiculous how unbalanced it is

4 first team keepers ffs
    1 right back (I'm not counting Richards, because let's be honest, he doesn't count)
    4 midfielders (Which is bizarre considering Warnock favoured a 3 man midfield)
    5 strikers (Again bizarre considering Warnock only played 1 up front)

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We have about 29 in the first team squad, and its ridiculous how unbalanced it is

4 first team keepers ffs
    1 right back (I'm not counting Richards, because let's be honest, he doesn't count)
    I thought Coxe was a right back?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I thought Coxe was a right back?
    I knew I'd forgotten someone! That brings us up to 30 first teamers mind, throw in the likes of Bolger and we could get a C team going

Bamba, Connolly, Peltier, Tomlin, Richards, Ward and Bogle are all out of contract at the end of the season.

I'll be surprised if we offer new deals to more than a couple of them.

New manager speak , think a lot of us realise the squad needs a freshen up, we also have older players who stay injured a lot longer . And a few like Connolly that do know need to move on.

He will need to deal with the many under performing centre forwards if you add in Ward we have 4 .

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Bamba, Connolly, Peltier, Tomlin, Richards, Ward and Bogle are all out of contract at the end of the season.

I'll be surprised if we offer new deals to more than a couple of them.
    I wouldn’t be surprised to see them all go? He can then bring in his own players! It’s very difficult to get rid or loan out players under contract. Warnock conned Tan with his buys more than Malky and wouldn’t give any youngsters a chance! Our Squad must be the biggest in the Championship ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Slade couldn’t find the academy if he was bundled into a plane, flown above a big red cross in the middle of the kids training pitches and dropped out of a plane right in the middle of a ducking training match.

So while it may be a wage cutting exercise (maybe not as well who knows) it is t exactly the same..

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    I wouldn’t be surprised to see them all go? He can then bring in his own players! It’s very difficult to get rid or loan out players under contract. Warnock conned Tan with his buys more than Malky and wouldn’t give any youngsters a chance! Our Squad must be the biggest in the Championship ?
    Youve got to ask how the ****ing hell did we allow Jazz Richards and Matt Connolly contract extensions?

Our squad is like having a roast dinner in Wetherspoons - it leaves you overfilled and underwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Our squad is like having a roast dinner in Wetherspoons - it leaves you overfilled and underwhelmed.
    And cheap to wash down

Is Connolly our only player who was here pre-rebrand? Was ralls playing before it too?

Youve got to ask how the ****ing hell did we allow Jazz Richards and Matt Connolly contract extensions?
    Connolly is probably the only defender on our books who can pass the ball. Warnock obviously didn't like him..

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

4 first team keepers ffs
    And 4 wingers/wide men.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Connolly is probably the only defender on our books who can pass the ball. Warnock obviously didn't like him..
    Liked him enough to give him a 2 year extension and not use him.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Is Connolly our only player who was here pre-rebrand? Was ralls playing before it too?
    Yeah Ralls was here before the rebrand.

Richards has one this summer. Seemed very odd unless he had a clause in his contract.

I think Connolly got his the summer before. Also a bit odd. For 2 years as well ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Richards has one this summer. Seemed very odd unless he had a clause in his contract.

I think Connolly got his the summer before. Also a bit odd. For 2 years as well ?
    Unless the clause was to be unavailable for 95% of his initial contract I’m struggling to see any clauses he would have met.

Connolly got given a new 2 year deal after appearing just 5 times the season before. Bizarre.